follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #71
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Can we get back on topic here? I knew a guy who knew a guy who installed a drop-in filter which added 3 HP. Complained it upset the balance of the car and went and traded for a Miata.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Harey (04-23-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #72
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
BOXER!!!!! YARRRRGGHHH!!
Yoshoobaroo (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #73
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Why would more power would ruin the car??

The low CG of the motor isn't the key to the cg of the car, it's how low the HIGHEST point of the motor is. Subaru said it, we lowered the motor AND EVERYTHING ELSE WITH IT. This is where the boxer helps. Same reason Porsche can cram them under a trunk lid.

The lower top of the motor means a lower hood (which now needs 2" of space from the motor for pedestrian safety), which means a lower seating position, which means a lower roofline. The low vertical height of the motor drops the whole car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (04-22-2018), Spuds (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #74
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Can we get back on topic here? I knew a guy who knew a guy who installed a drop-in filter which added 3 HP. Complained it upset the balance of the car and went and traded for a Miata.
Whew! I'm glad I didn't go down that rabbit hole.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #75
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post

That's why I packed my AFE filter with dried cherry blossoms.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #76
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
That's why I packed my AFE filter with dried cherry blossoms.

You're supposed to put those in the cabin filter!
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #77
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
The low CG of the motor isn't the key to the cg of the car, it's how low the HIGHEST point of the motor is. Subaru said it, we lowered the motor AND EVERYTHING ELSE WITH IT. This is where the boxer helps. Same reason Porsche can cram them under a trunk lid.

The lower top of the motor means a lower hood (which now needs 2" of space from the motor for pedestrian safety), which means a lower seating position, which means a lower roofline. The low vertical height of the motor drops the whole car.

A. The top of the engine isn't very heavy for non boxer engines. B. They lowered the engine compared to their symmetrical awd cars where there was drive train going under the engine to the front wheels. Compared to more typical engine designs, the engine isn't very low. I'd rather have the top of the engine (aluminum head) high rather than the bottom of the engine (heavy crank) higher.
venturaII (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #78
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harey View Post
Toyota, Subaru and others say that more power would ruin the twins. With the below caveats I dont understand this??

- additional power/torque stays mostly linear (ignoring torque dip)
- additional power does not add weight (or perhaps very little and that little weight is counterbalanced at the rear of the car)
- additional power is OEM engineered (not wanting to discuss the reliability of aftermarket modifications)

I understand it was not the goal of the car, but I dont understand why it would ruin the car. Yes a turbo with a big rush of torque or a big heavy engine would ruin the handling agreed. But if the additional power/torque remains linear and there is minimal extra weight I dont see how it would ruin the car?

Im not saying necessarily that the twins should have come with more power (separate discussion) I am just questioning the statement that the car would be ruined. Is there something I am missing?
Long winded answer:

More power would ruin the car because it would need to be accompanied by more of everything.

The engine in this car is unique in that it has had every ounce possible cut out of the parts. You add power to this engine at your own risk. So more power is going to need a heavier engine.

More power from engine is going to need more robustness to every single component down the drivetrain right down to the brakes. So more weight. Since the FRS's one and only superpower is the handling that is possible with low weight, any dulling of this atribute would be like Kryptonite to Superman.

Then lets look at other consequences. Cost. The FRS is priced to be sold to either a young crowd who is pre-family or an old fart who is past kids and pre retirement. Neither is a very rich market. More power increases the cost exponentially, puts the car in competition with more cars, and lowers sales because it really has nothing to offer in the Pony Car market after it gives away the light weight.

A limited edition with more power is possible, but it would be just that, Limited and expensive both to buy and maintain. Talk to any Subaru Sti owner about maintenance cost.

You and I can drop a LSx into the car and only increase the weight by a small percentage. The results are entertaining to watch and arguably safe enough. However, the factory would have to do a LOT of due diligence to protect the driver and themselves against the liabilities of more power. Can you say more insurance $$$ all around?

The FRS is a niche product, niches are great places to sell stuff if you are the first in cause you take up the whole niche. However all niche products, when you take them out of their intended niche, they look kinda silly. If you fix that, you give up the safety of the niche.

Toyobaru did their research, discovered a niche and the math said they could live there comfortably. I expect that any changes to the twins will be to reflect evolution of the niche and not any attempt to break out.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
SCQTT (04-23-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #79
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
A. The top of the engine isn't very heavy for non boxer engines. B. They lowered the engine compared to their symmetrical awd cars where there was drive train going under the engine to the front wheels. Compared to more typical engine designs, the engine isn't very low. I'd rather have the top of the engine (aluminum head) high rather than the bottom of the engine (heavy crank) higher.

Show me a car with an inline 4, longitudinally mounted, that has a lower hood than the twins while passing current pedestrian safety standards.

The roofline drives the CG much more than a fraction of an inch lower engine CG. And that's driven my the hood height. It drives down the whole car.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #80
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Show me a car with an inline 4, longitudinally mounted, that has a lower hood than the twins while passing current pedestrian safety standards.

The roofline drives the CG much more than a fraction of an inch lower engine CG. And that's driven my the hood height. It drives down the whole car.

can you show me a car with a boxer motor with a lower cog than a miata or corvette? you can talk about rooflines or whatever all you want but when i talk about center of gravity, i usually just look at the cars center of gravity.
funwheeldrive (04-20-2018), Spuds (04-20-2018), venturaII (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #81
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Long winded answer:

More power would ruin the car because it would need to be accompanied by more of everything.

The engine in this car is unique in that it has had every ounce possible cut out of the parts. You add power to this engine at your own risk. So more power is going to need a heavier engine.

More power from engine is going to need more robustness to every single component down the drivetrain right down to the brakes. So more weight. Since the FRS's one and only superpower is the handling that is possible with low weight, any dulling of this atribute would be like Kryptonite to Superman.

Then lets look at other consequences. Cost. The FRS is priced to be sold to either a young crowd who is pre-family or an old fart who is past kids and pre retirement. Neither is a very rich market. More power increases the cost exponentially, puts the car in competition with more cars, and lowers sales because it really has nothing to offer in the Pony Car market after it gives away the light weight.

A limited edition with more power is possible, but it would be just that, Limited and expensive both to buy and maintain. Talk to any Subaru Sti owner about maintenance cost.

You and I can drop a LSx into the car and only increase the weight by a small percentage. The results are entertaining to watch and arguably safe enough. However, the factory would have to do a LOT of due diligence to protect the driver and themselves against the liabilities of more power. Can you say more insurance $$$ all around?

The FRS is a niche product, niches are great places to sell stuff if you are the first in cause you take up the whole niche. However all niche products, when you take them out of their intended niche, they look kinda silly. If you fix that, you give up the safety of the niche.

Toyobaru did their research, discovered a niche and the math said they could live there comfortably. I expect that any changes to the twins will be to reflect evolution of the niche and not any attempt to break out.
I could see this argument holding up if you were wanting 300hp from the car, but I would be willing to bet that the current components on this car could handle 200whp without any sacrifice to reliability.

I think a modest increase of 25whp would give the 86 enough power to feel quick in all situations. Most of the time the 175hp is enough in this car, but there are rare instances where this car seems to fall flat on its face.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #82
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If the factory addressed the powerband of these cars and smoothed them out as most owners end up doing via aftermarket headers, I think they would sit at a great place out of the box.

It wouldn't change the peak power numbers much but it does so much for the torque below the curve. Really that's where I'm starting to notice the small delay due to the torque dip exiting corners in second gear. It makes the car extremely predictable, but I'd like a bit more punch and linear feel.

Beyond that I think the car as is could handle near 200whp without much extra modification to the rest of the car. Especially if you offer existing options cross platform like the brembo brake package on the BRZ for those who want to track/auto-x.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #83
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
Corvette is 17.5" - the same as an ND Miata with the top down - See my previous post.
The C7 achieves that in part because it's wide. Moving weight up and down isn't the only path to a lower COG. It also costs a lot more than a BRZ. So all you've really told us is that the ND and the BRZ are remarkable vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Lexus LFA
Now we're comparing the BRZ to a $375K sports car?

Quote:
can you show me a car with a boxer motor with a lower cog than a miata or corvette?
Yeah, the BRZ. When the BRZ first hit the market, the C6 was still the current Corvette. I recall back when I was first considering the car reading that the new BRZ was the lowest COG production car on the market at the time, lower even than the C6 Corvette.

Quote:
The only reason you know the cog is marketing.
So? The low COG is still a factor in the handling of the car, and the use of the boxer is still a factor in the low COG. Just using facts in marketing doesn't make them false. From the examples in this thread, it looks like the only ways anybody is going lower is by going topless or going wide.

Recall what got us onto this subject in the first place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
This car's handling has zero to do with 'boxer'.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (04-23-2018), Jordanwolf (04-20-2018), Spuds (04-20-2018), Yoshoobaroo (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #84
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I think a modest increase of 25whp would give the 86 enough power to feel quick in all situations. Most of the time the 175hp is enough in this car, but there are rare instances where this car seems to fall flat on its face.
That's what a header and tune is for. If you ring that extra power out of the motor before it hits the consumer, the owner doesn't have any intermediate steps before going FI. That would cut into sales numbers for a car marketed to modders.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (04-20-2018), mrg666 (04-21-2018), Spuds (04-20-2018)