follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #57
jmimac351
Chin Chief Instructor
 
jmimac351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2015 Ford F150 Aluminium Couch
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 123
Thanks: 23
Thanked 87 Times in 46 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I am trying to find another hood to vent for track days. I haven't had the coil pack issue yet but I would like to prevent it. Especially with the nameless header, I have got everything wrapped in heat tape, even wiring.
My local "miata parts salvage guy" has started parting 86 cars as well (among others). I've been checking on a spare hood for the same thing. I like heat wrap. The interweb doesn't and claims that heat wrap hurts metal.

A regular at our events with a BRZ had an aftermarket rear exhaust that routed close to the rear diff. He experienced multiple rear diff seal failures. My car is 100% stock in that respect and I've experienced zero failures. "Why are my rear diff seals failing? ... Yeah, soooo.... maybe it's because that super cool aftermarket exhaust is now routing right next to the diff - but you didn't wrap that section of exhaust so that pipe will last for 20 years, good thinkin'..."

I've seen unwrapped 86 headers fail. Wrap the pipe in sensitive areas is my plan... in 5 years buy another piece of metal, maybe.

HEAT is the enemy of EVERY track car... Go ask a late model Z06 owner about heat...
__________________
2016 Subaru BRZ
Building 1963 289 Cobra Le Mans Replica
Cobra Replica Build Pics
Chin Chief Instructor www.ChinTrackDays.com
jmimac351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #58
redlined600
Senior Member
 
redlined600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Drives: Fr-s
Location: MN
Posts: 455
Thanks: 50
Thanked 220 Times in 127 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryejeff View Post
Thanks a ton! I have been meaning to email you about this topic!
Feel free, or stop by sometime in the spring, you can take it for a spin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
That's interesting. What do you attribute such a big difference to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryejeff View Post
And, was that with your Miata in full STR spec?
Yes, str prep. Road America is a long power track. Better hp/wt and better aerodynamics I would guess without really sitting down and looking over the data.
__________________
redlined600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 AM   #59
jsimon7777
Dismember
 
jsimon7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 3,844
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,344 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
A fully stripped, caged Miata without a driver seat or partition to the trunk can carry a full set of slicks, a jack, tools, etc. It'll look like shit, though, and be loud and uncomfortable. Totally unsafe without a helmet on.

If you want to track AND drive without a helmet, have an interior AND carry slicks, maybe even take a friend, then the twins win hands down..
jsimon7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsimon7777 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-15-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 AM   #60
jsimon7777
Dismember
 
jsimon7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 3,844
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,344 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
A fully stripped, caged Miata without a driver seat or partition to the trunk can carry a full set of slicks, a jack, tools, etc. It'll look like shit, though, and be loud and uncomfortable. Totally unsafe without a helmet on.

If you want to track AND drive without a helmet, have an interior AND carry slicks, maybe even take a friend, then the twins win hands down..
jsimon7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsimon7777 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-15-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #61
kooliosupraboi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2015 STI
Location: socal
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm gonna try to reply to as many posts I can remember without quoting everyone...

There is a surprising amount of love for miatas in an 86 forum, which I thought was pretty interesting but glad to see people here have an open mind about it and are not crazy 86 fanboys.

-My intent if I do end up getting an 86 is to participate in 86cup socal.

-I think I will need to find someone with a NC that has buckets at my next track day and ask if I can hop in or something similar. Reading a lot of these posts, the NC seems like my next option after the twins. However right now I'm leaning more towards the twin, mainly due to practicality. Getting a truck/trailer is out of the picture for me and not feasible at my current situation whatsoever. A useable passenger seat is also high up there on the list for driving to and from the track (need to take the S.O.) and also having someone ride along giving me tips during trackdays would be helpful as well. The NC is not out of the picture completely, but I am definitely leaning more towards a twin at the moment.

In terms of "cheap" IDEALLY.. I would like one for around ~10k, but you can't have your cake and eat it too right.. I've seen some salvage titles get close to 10k, but... I am open to budget of up to 13-14k. 15k tops. Doing a little shopping around seems like the price point for a MY14 is around ~15k. I am in no hurry to buy one at the moment so I'll be on the lookout for a good deal to pop up.
kooliosupraboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kooliosupraboi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #62
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
A fully stripped, caged Miata without a driver seat or partition to the trunk can carry a full set of slicks, a jack, tools, etc. It'll look like shit, though, and be loud and uncomfortable. Totally unsafe without a helmet on.

If you want to track AND drive without a helmet, have an interior AND carry slicks, maybe even take a friend, then the twins win hands down..
This.

Driving a caged car to the track on public roads is dangerous! Head vs cage, or really any body part vs cage, in an accident is not gonna go well for said limbs.

This is truly where the twins shine. YOu can take *EVERYTHING* you need with you to the track and back, and still be safe on track without a cage or at least a roll bar.

I wouldn't set foot on track in a Miata without at least a roll bar.


Proof of concept: @ImperiousRex and I went to Road Atlanta from SoCal last May, with an extra set of wheels/tires, tools, jack, jackstands, extra parts, 1 helmets, extra fluids, all the stuff we needed for a week, in my 2017, and still had a little bit of space to spare for souvenirs and goodies.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Hades (02-16-2018), jsimon7777 (02-17-2018), Tcoat (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #63
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooliosupraboi View Post
I'm gonna try to reply to as many posts I can remember without quoting everyone...

There is a surprising amount of love for miatas in an 86 forum, which I thought was pretty interesting but glad to see people here have an open mind about it and are not crazy 86 fanboys.

-My intent if I do end up getting an 86 is to participate in 86cup socal.

-I think I will need to find someone with a NC that has buckets at my next track day and ask if I can hop in or something similar. Reading a lot of these posts, the NC seems like my next option after the twins. However right now I'm leaning more towards the twin, mainly due to practicality. Getting a truck/trailer is out of the picture for me and not feasible at my current situation whatsoever. A useable passenger seat is also high up there on the list for driving to and from the track (need to take the S.O.) and also having someone ride along giving me tips during trackdays would be helpful as well. The NC is not out of the picture completely, but I am definitely leaning more towards a twin at the moment.

In terms of "cheap" IDEALLY.. I would like one for around ~10k, but you can't have your cake and eat it too right.. I've seen some salvage titles get close to 10k, but... I am open to budget of up to 13-14k. 15k tops. Doing a little shopping around seems like the price point for a MY14 is around ~15k. I am in no hurry to buy one at the moment so I'll be on the lookout for a good deal to pop up.
Come out to the next 86CUP event, even if you don't have a car! Meet locals, get rides, and just chat about the cars in general. You'll find that most of the participants daily drive their cars, because it's just that versatile.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #64
Kayysonie
Badass Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Location: Near Detroit Zoo
Posts: 322
Thanks: 60
Thanked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
This.

Driving a caged car to the track on public roads is dangerous! Head vs cage, or really any body part vs cage, in an accident is not gonna go well for said limbs.

This is truly where the twins shine. YOu can take *EVERYTHING* you need with you to the track and back, and still be safe on track without a cage or at least a roll bar.

I wouldn't set foot on track in a Miata without at least a roll bar.


Proof of concept: @ImperiousRex and I went to Road Atlanta from SoCal last May, with an extra set of wheels/tires, tools, jack, jackstands, extra parts, 1 helmets, extra fluids, all the stuff we needed for a week, in my 2017, and still had a little bit of space to spare for souvenirs and goodies.
Damn baller. Did you happen to have a picture how it looked like? Lol.

Just stripped my interior for a roll cage and i feel that I will have more space to put in my second set of 17x9. I do need to carry my tent and canopy for weekend events like Gridlife Midwest.
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #65
jmimac351
Chin Chief Instructor
 
jmimac351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2015 Ford F150 Aluminium Couch
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 123
Thanks: 23
Thanked 87 Times in 46 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
This.

Driving a caged car to the track on public roads is dangerous! Head vs cage, or really any body part vs cage, in an accident is not gonna go well for said limbs.

This is truly where the twins shine. YOu can take *EVERYTHING* you need with you to the track and back, and still be safe on track without a cage or at least a roll bar.

I wouldn't set foot on track in a Miata without at least a roll bar.


Proof of concept: @ImperiousRex and I went to Road Atlanta from SoCal last May, with an extra set of wheels/tires, tools, jack, jackstands, extra parts, 1 helmets, extra fluids, all the stuff we needed for a week, in my 2017, and still had a little bit of space to spare for souvenirs and goodies.
Prior to buying my BRZ... I looked at this sort of thing. Not sure if this is exactly the same setup for the pillars, but hard to believe it's much different given what the brand seems to focus on...

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/...ur-cars-11596/
__________________
2016 Subaru BRZ
Building 1963 289 Cobra Le Mans Replica
Cobra Replica Build Pics
Chin Chief Instructor www.ChinTrackDays.com
jmimac351 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmimac351 For This Useful Post:
Pat (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #66
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
Prior to buying my BRZ... I looked at this sort of thing. Not sure if this is exactly the same setup for the pillars, but hard to believe it's much different given what the brand seems to focus on...

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/...ur-cars-11596/
When the GD impreza got here, many fire depts had to upgrade their equipment....
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #67
jsimon7777
Dismember
 
jsimon7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 3,844
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,344 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
That moment you realize you could buy a trailer and a dedicated track car with a cage and everything because you have a truck that can tow over 8k lbs.
jsimon7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsimon7777 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #68
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,493
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 7,652 Times in 3,985 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooliosupraboi View Post
In terms of "cheap" IDEALLY.. I would like one for around ~10k, but you can't have your cake and eat it too right.. I've seen some salvage titles get close to 10k, but... I am open to budget of up to 13-14k. 15k tops. Doing a little shopping around seems like the price point for a MY14 is around ~15k. I am in no hurry to buy one at the moment so I'll be on the lookout for a good deal to pop up.
That's pretty much the biggest sticking point with a used 86, still a bit too expensive as a toy for the average joe. (Although still a solid deal at the $15k+ asking price in West coast metro areas)

With a $10k budget and a desire for a dedicated track/weekend car I'd go pick up a nice NC Miata, get it aligned, throw some beater tires on it, freshen the brake system with pads and fluid at a minimum, bolt on roll-bar and go get a bunch of seat time until 86 prices come down. KISS: keep it simple stupid

BUT that doesn't mean jack if you can't fit in it comfortably, if the buckets don't work I have an outside suggestion that will probably get 4 detractors for every supporter:
RX-8
Basically a big NC with an oddball powertrain, if the engine doesn't scare you and the weight isn't a big downside it seems like the right budget solution.
Edit: E36 M3 maybe
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly

Last edited by strat61caster; 02-17-2018 at 04:31 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #69
Hades
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Location: Socal
Posts: 127
Thanks: 330
Thanked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can find FRS around ~$8-10k. First year, but still a decent buy at that price as long as the first year issues have been dealt with.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #70
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,493
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 7,652 Times in 3,985 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
You can find FRS around ~$8-10k. First year, but still a decent buy at that price as long as the first year issues have been dealt with.
Yeah with salvage titles, take 'em to a good body shop and inspect for frame damage before tracking, they've been crashed and repaired on a budget, I guarantee it.

The cheapest clean title (or so they say) on craigslist near me is listed for $13k and has 123k miles on it. If you're in a less populated area I can see getting a nice car at that price, but not much less.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summary of model year changes? Double_Clutch Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 4 08-12-2014 03:27 PM
2014 model year? topazsparrow Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 15 09-12-2012 02:33 AM
1st Model-Year Jitters? suprachica79 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 55 09-13-2011 09:55 AM
Would you get the first year production model? Desire1314 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 6 01-16-2011 07:42 PM
FT-86 Competition / Track model mentioned in EVO Car Of The Year Issue Axel Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 132 03-07-2010 11:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.