follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #29
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Canadian police isnt always nice

My setup is catless EL headers, catted fp, AFE power catback (shit is as loud as N1 probably). All of it is 2.5"

I got pulled over for a loud exhaust. I wasnt accelerating, or trying to be loud, on the contrary I was trying to be as quiet as possibly. But, I was on a bridge (Jacques Cartier bridge in Montreal) and that bridge has quiet a long uphill so the car was still somewhat loud.

Police gets behind me, drives all along the bridge, then at the end of it, speeds up and gets right next to me and hand signals me to pull over. He then walks up to my window and says this (translation):

"I see you have a performance exhaust, but was it really necessary? Do you really need a performance exhaust?"

I had this look in my face like I wanna answer back and explain to him why it is needed, what a torque dip is, how I use my car as a track car every summer but in the end, I though it will only makes things worse. So I tried to distract him from it by showing him the muffler (yeah, the catback has a tiny ass muffler), the catalytic on the front-pipe and how it was all bolted nicely together no leaks no nothing, just slightly loud.

He just gave me the "but it is still louder than stock". once again I wanted to reply about how that is so much bullshit because there are stock cars wy louder than that but didnt say anything. He walked off, took a picture of the back of the car and came to tell me I'd receive the ticket by the mail (weird...).

That was almost 2 months ago, havent received anything *knock on wood* yet. I bought a TRD catback since, waiting on the 15 march to switch tires and catback all together.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #30
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I wasn't driving my brz but I had an bmw e46 zhp at the time. Catless headers and a full 3" custom tig welded exhaust my buddy made with a magnaflow dual chamber muffler out back. Needless to say it was very loud, but sounded sexy.

Fast forward a couple years and I get a job an hour away in MA, I live in RI. So I'm on lunch break with this chick I worked with. We were heading to Cumberland Farms for a coffee. It was snowing and I still had my "performance all season" tires on. Car is warmed up, great, ready to go. Cumbys is only 3 or 4 minutes away, should be back in time, no problem. I'm stopped first in line at a wildly busy intersection, ton of cars behind me and it's on an ever so slight incline. Light turns green and I gun it, spinning tire (snow) barely any traction and I just have the fucking thing pinned to the floor.. 7k rpm, basically a straight piped I6 .. shift to second and woahhh the tail kicks out.. kept it sliding all the way through the intersection and pull right into cumbys on the corner just after the revs settled down.

Immediately, as I parked and got out there was a local cop blaring the horn, cherrys and berries firing away. He gets out and just looks at me as I'm standing next to my car with the door handle in my hand. He says get back in. Okay .. two more cops show up. He asks if I saw him back at the intersection because apparently there was some construction. Nope I said, bad weather conditions and I was just trying to not get stuck off the line. He says no problem and walks away. 15 minutes go by and I see a flat bed pull up.

So me and this chick got a ride back to work (about an hour late) in the cruiser, dropped us off at the front door which was cool of him, my car got impounded, had to take the train home and find a ride to work the next day, and I never even got my coffee before 10am. What a shit day that was. Ended up getting my car out the next day after haggling with the dude at the impound lot for what seemed like hours.

So really, that was the only time I've ever been "pulled over" for my exhaust. Don't really get bothered much up here in New England.

Car for reference http://imgur.com/SMJqKvQ

Last edited by Jesse36m3; 02-04-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #31
flippy

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Cop pulled me over and ask why it was so loud. I told him "because racecar" he laughed and walked back to his car then took off.
what exhaust do you have?
flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #32
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy View Post
what exhaust do you have?
Borla headers, overpipe was built by a local shop, motiv testpipe and a modified TRD catback
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #33
flippy

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Borla headers, overpipe was built by a local shop, motiv testpipe and a modified TRD catback
test pipe and borla RIP ear drums
flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flippy For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #34
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy View Post
test pipe and borla RIP ear drums
LOL not if you do it right. It is only loud on cold starts (to the point to rattles pictures on my wall slightly and I park on the street) and over 3k rpm she screams but normal driving its not that loud at all.

Edit: just saw your in Calgary you can come hear it sometime if you would like
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #35
wise345
Slow I am, boost I must..

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
I wasn't driving my brz but I had an bmw e46 zhp at the time. Catless headers and a full 3" custom tig welded exhaust my buddy made with a magnaflow dual chamber muffler out back. Needless to say it was very loud, but sounded sexy.

Fast forward a couple years and I get a job an hour away in MA, I live in RI. So I'm on lunch break with this chick I worked with. We were heading to Cumberland Farms for a coffee. It was snowing and I still had my "performance all season" tires on. Car is warmed up, great, ready to go. Cumbys is only 3 or 4 minutes away, should be back in time, no problem. I'm stopped first in line at a wildly busy intersection, ton of cars behind me and it's on an ever so slight incline. Light turns green and I gun it, spinning tire (snow) barely any traction and I just have the fucking thing pinned to the floor.. 7k rpm, basically a straight piped I6 .. shift to second and woahhh the tail kicks out.. kept it sliding all the way through the intersection and pull right into cumbys on the corner just after the revs settled down.

Immediately, as I parked and got out there was a local cop blaring the horn, cherrys and berries firing away. He gets out and just looks at me as I'm standing next to my car with the door handle in my hand. He says get back in. Okay .. two more cops show up. He asks if I saw him back at the intersection because apparently there was some construction. Nope I said, bad weather conditions and I was just trying to not get stuck off the line. He says no problem and walks away. 15 minutes go by and I see a flat bed pull up.

So me and this chick got a ride back to work (about an hour late) in the cruiser, dropped us off at the front door which was cool of him, my car got impounded, had to take the train home and find a ride to work the next day, and I never even got my coffee before 10am. What a shit day that was. Ended up getting my car out the next day after haggling with the dude at the impound lot for what seemed like hours.

So really, that was the only time I've ever been "pulled over" for my exhaust. Don't really get bothered much up here in New England.

Car for reference http://imgur.com/SMJqKvQ
We drive RWD slidey cars and in the snow cops should understand "things happen"
wise345 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wise345 For This Useful Post:
Jesse36m3 (02-05-2016)