follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #15
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaboss View Post
Sorry for going a bit off topic (but the rest of the thread is super helpful, as I practically had the same questions). But how exactly were you able to get two cameras synced + the data shown like that? It's such an amazing video - and great lap! The data you can keep track of is amazing, with throttle input, G's and even location on the track... super jealous!

I've been trying to figure out a setup before going to track and don't know which options are any good. Already have a smartphone + GoPro Hero 3+ BE...

David
Thanks. BTW, just fyi, I'm not braking mid corner as the telemetry is showing. I didn't bother turning off traction control completely and VSC sport was ON, so the system logs VSC intervention, which is why it looks like I'm tapping the brakes mid corner. Don't do that. LOL.

The setup I'm using consists of gopro cameras linked via wifi remote. Data is collected using the AiM solo DL. Data and video are merged with trackvision software, and multiple views are processed with adobe premiere elements. You have to be a video geek like me to want to bother with all of it.
leicaboss (03-20-2014), Wepeel (03-20-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #16
im2lazy789

Drives: BRZ Limited DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do the stock Primacy tires hold up durability and temperature wise on the track? My experience last summer in my Mustang GT was that the stock tires, granted they were Pirelli P-Zero Nero "ultra high performance all seasons" just shredded and overheated. Right now I am leaning towards going to a dedicated wheel and tire combo (RPF1s and ZII's) for the track and autocross pretty much just for wear and brake dust reasons, although a more progressive breakaway would be a big plus to train on as well.
im2lazy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #17
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2lazy789 View Post
How do the stock Primacy tires hold up durability and temperature wise on the track? My experience last summer in my Mustang GT was that the stock tires, granted they were Pirelli P-Zero Nero "ultra high performance all seasons" just shredded and overheated. Right now I am leaning towards going to a dedicated wheel and tire combo (RPF1s and ZII's) for the track and autocross pretty much just for wear and brake dust reasons, although a more progressive breakaway would be a big plus to train on as well.
The outer shoulders of the OEM primacy's will chunk off. Adding more negative camber will help, but the shoulders still get demolished. I haven't had issues with the tires overheating, but I try to to drive very smoothly and don't overdrive the tires since that's the faster way around a course. I can tell you that I lost about .1G of performance during a 106F ambient temp track day on the OEM tires. My understanding is that the performance of the OEM primacy's will drop of significantly after a set number of heat cycles. The tire will heat cycle out way before the tread wears out. I never got a chance to test that because I blew one of my tires on a curb and then switched all 4 to MPSS afterwards.
im2lazy789 (03-20-2014), zdr93523 (05-12-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #18
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I find the G's claim hard to believe.

Understandable, but...

When @orthojoe talks ... I listen.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
im2lazy789 (03-20-2014), orthojoe (03-20-2014), zdr93523 (05-12-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #19
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Understandable, but...

LMAO. I'm honored and flattered.

Hey, I'm with all of you. I was expecting a lot more out of the MPSS myself and was just as surprised as all of you. Data doesn't lie, though.

If you want a big change in grip, bump up to RS3 or BFG rivals.
Ganthrithor (03-20-2014), Porsche (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #20
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Understandable, but...

lol.

I don't know what tire quality this is called, but the car sticks through bumps better now. Certain bumps would send the tail out. Now it sticks. Definitely the superior road tire. If I run out of stock tire on the track, I'll be able to AB them.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #21
im2lazy789

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
lol.

I don't know what tire quality this is called, but the car sticks through bumps better now. Certain bumps would send the tail out. Now it sticks. Definitely the superior road tire. If I run out of stock tire on the track, I'll be able to AB them.
If I were to wager a guess, the MPSSs probably have better cold grip cold adhesion properties due to compound then the PHPs. My impression from the PHPs is that when cold they are pretty much rock hard with little grip, however, I do not have much experience with them at very hot temperatures, just whatever I can get them up to on a hot July day blasting through some canyons repeatedly. Nor do I have any experience with the MPSSs. So perhaps at track temperature the PHPs may come into their own and exhibit similar sustained load capabilities to the MPSSs at temperature.

TL/DR: MPSSs may work over a wider range of temps than PHPs
The Following User Says Thank You to im2lazy789 For This Useful Post:
orthojoe (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #22
im2lazy789

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
The outer shoulders of the OEM primacy's will chunk off. Adding more negative camber will help, but the shoulders still get demolished. I haven't had issues with the tires overheating, but I try to to drive very smoothly and don't overdrive the tires since that's the faster way around a course. I can tell you that I lost about .1G of performance during a 106F ambient temp track day on the OEM tires. My understanding is that the performance of the OEM primacy's will drop of significantly after a set number of heat cycles. The tire will heat cycle out way before the tread wears out. I never got a chance to test that because I blew one of my tires on a curb and then switched all 4 to MPSS afterwards.
Thanks orthojoe, depending on my pocketbook by the start of Summer I will probably get a dedicated set of wheels and tires for the track and keep the PHPs for putting on mileage on the street and avoid the shoulder chunking. Will order some crash bolts as well. Now off to read everyone's thoughts on camber setting.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #23
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
LMAO. I'm honored and flattered.

Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #24
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
If you want a big change in grip, bump up to RS3 or BFG rivals.
Which ones were faster on and/or did one show more grip than the other? And what is the rest of your setup?
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #25
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
Which ones were faster on and/or did one show more grip than the other? And what is the rest of your setup?
I can't tell you which one is faster. I only have data on the BFG rivals because my friend runs them. I am just assuming the RS3 is equivalent to the BFG. No hard data to support.

My setup:

whiteline front camber bolts maxxed out to -1.5
Project mu club racer brake pads for the track
MPSS tire (OEM size on OEM wheels)

That's it.
Wepeel (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #26
icemang17

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Simon
Okay....you are much like I was many years ago...I was a "data" guy...this test says this tire does XYZ....but this other tires does the same -.05%....so clearly the 1st tire is better.....

The real world is MUCH different.... As I always say....any type of driving on track is EXPENSIVE....so why not wear out the perfectly good tires that came on the car....I PREACH to mod as little as you can.....there is no sense in making the car much faster than you can handle as a driver....that is the path you are heading down....how do I know...BEEN THERE DONE THAT...and lost thousands $$$

I understand this is what you don't want to hear....its not cool or fun.... But I will ask this of you....I am running Ft86 cup at Thunderhill in a 100% bone stock car....nothing has been changed....lets see where a bone stock FRS times end up overall.....I don't expect to be FTD (fast time of day)...not even close...but I think my bone stock time will be pretty respectable....
icemang17 is offline   Reply With Quote