follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: So, is Bear the man or do you think another is?
Bear is the F'n man! 4 44.44%
Ive seen better....yawn 1 11.11%
Survivor man could eat Bear Grylls 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Niche79

Drives: '01 AND '91 Honda Preludes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Bear grills is the MAN!!

SO I have netflix, killed everything ive ever been interrested in and now im on his series. Jeez that guy does everything and keeps on going. I even saw the one with him and Will Ferrall in Sweeden! Funny as hell. I dont care about the Net rivalry between him and Survivor man as its two diff types of shows. I just sometimes am like uggh I would not eat that or OMG hes got BALLS OF STEEL and im thinking, I dont think i could ever do that! So, anyone else think this guy is cool as hell for showing you how to get outa bad spots and get out alive? Its awsome IMO
Niche79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
xclusive_brett

Drives: 08 scion xb
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
you do know its all fake...
type in bear grylls fake and there are tons of videos on you tube of him faking the whole show
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Dude still eats giant ass bugs I would run away from haha. Can't fake that
Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Niche79

Drives: '01 AND '91 Honda Preludes
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive_brett View Post
you do know its all fake...
type in bear grylls fake and there are tons of videos on you tube of him faking the whole show
your the net drama I was talking about. If i were to put money on him vs you in anything from a survival situation to a fight to the deal, im tossing money on bear..sorry man! I dont care if they do purposely put him in stuff, he gets outa it. And thats what makes it great!
Niche79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Question everything on TV, especially when its considered "reality" TV.

Hell, even the news networks (ALL of them) are mostly fabricated agenda factories.

Watch fiction, read reality.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
The only time you will get reality is in life when you see it. I don't believe what I read unles it's a science text and even then I beleive it when I see it (in most cases)

Last edited by 70NYD; 03-30-2011 at 06:07 PM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
Bear is the man, yes they set up the survival scenarios and offer help if needed but they kinda have to for insurance reasons, just like any other show with possible dangers. I could bet that if you threw Bear into one of these situations with no cameras or crew or anything he could survive just as he does on the show, some of the stuff he does can't be "acted"
Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If you tried half of his 'survival' techniques yourself in the bush, you would probably kill yourself faster than just staying put.

His stuff is fake, overly dramatized and setup with a safety crew.

In the bush, you stay put, make shelter and fire, find water, try to find food (even bugs). Conserve energy. Wait for help. Survival rule of '3s', 3 hours without shelter in extreme weather, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, (with some adjustments for climate)

You don't make an apache-style bow to shoot a rope that you conveniently find from a crashed ultralight, (from which you earlier made a sail-car), over some gaping canyon, to go rock-climbing up a shear cliff to 'survive'.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
Franisco

Drives: D31a
Still entertaining...
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
Zenrael
Boost me plz

Drives: 07' Hyundai Tiburon
There's no doubt about his considerable skill in wilderness however.. I'd like to see him to what Survivor man does because then he'd actually have to work his butt off. I will, however, agree that all his shit is fake.
Zenrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
Survivor man teaches what you should do in a given situation. Bear teaches you what to do after crash landing behind enemy lines. LOL. I love both shows.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
yarik83

Drives: 2008 4x4 Toyota Tacoma
Man vs Wild started out a very good show. As much as I love Survivorman I always wished there were a little more hands on survival ideas. And it came in season 1 of Baer Gryll's show. It was not until the season ended that controversy arose.

What happened before the controversy:

#1 Baer Grrylls have outlined multiple times that it was just him and the camera guy and that they are in middle of nowhere doing a fast paced survival show.

#2 Baer demonstrated various survival scenarios that often seemed so ridiculously outrageous you did not know if you wanted to cheer for him or make him stop before he kills someone.

What happened during controversy

#1 British newspapers have publicized a rumor that his show was staged and that production crew has faked various dangers including that time he was allegedly stalked by a bear who was really a production crew man wearing a bear costume prancing around the tent.

#2 It has come to knowledge that Baer indeed did not film in middle of nowhere but often and almost always within 15 minutes walk from a closest hotel where him AND his armada of sound people, camera men, safety crew, stunt technicians, director, producer, make up artist etc were all traveling with him and filming at destination.

#3 Production crew has denied allegations but was rebutted by hundreds of video proof accounts of various people traveling to sites he was allegedly filming at only to turn around and there would either be a camp ground, a hotel, a well traveled road or otherwise right behind him.

#4 After rebuttal production crew has completely re-cut every single episode of season 1 and have shown that version ever since. To date only proof of their actions exists with first production of dvds that have been pulled from the shelves and or on internet. Consequently they have since made Baer emphasise that he is not alone by saying things like "I could not catch any fish but after hours of trying one of my production crewmen has had luck". Another thing they have added is a very long disclaimer in which they tell about his production crew and presented challenges.

#4 Baer Grylls is actually a vegetarian and entire sharade of killing for food has transformed from "ohh hey you can eat something like this" to "what are we going to make Baer try to eat on camera today".

In conclusion there is a significant anti-Baer movement on the internet and for a very good reason. Show is not about survival but about being a daredevil and therefore should not be marketed as a survival show. Consequently their entire attitude of how they handled their "controversy" only goes to show that this was "we got caught moment". If you watch a couple of episodes of how they made Man vs Wild show you will see how almost every single shot is staged. Ie. when Baer climbs holding on to flimsy stuff there is actually a 1 or 2 safety ropes. How when he allegedly jumps to places they cut it just enough to catch him mid air and then let him fall from a couple of feet distance etc. Again if all of this was disclosed during season 1 then there would not have been an outrage in viewing community.

For more info on this thing please feel free to google it, wikipedia it, or use whatever media you feel comfortable with to search controversy related aspects of this show.
yarik83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
wow someones a party pooper... whatever; it is still entertaining as stated above
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We have a Negative Nancy! Lol

Meh I enjoy the show. If I were to ever get lost. I'd probably just starve to death. Or get eaten by some animal. One or the other.
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote