follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #57
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Don't get me wrong, the fa20 is impressive in its own right, I just don't think it has comparable potential.
Yea, unfortunately direct injection doesn't completely make up for a crapton more rpm.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #58
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Yea, unfortunately direct injection doesn't completely make up for a crapton more rpm.
Thankfully some FI kits should hit the market soon.
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #59
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Speaking of potential:

Tainen's BRZ with I/H/DP/axleback made 179 whp. Even in a best case scenario where Perrin's tune added 10whp, that'd be ~190 whp @ 7000 rpm.

In comparison, an RSX-S with similar mods (I/H/E/tune) will make about 210-220 whp @ 8000 rpm.

Certainly over time tuners will find a way to squeeze more power out of the fa20, but the gap is so large, it'd be hard for the fa20 to match the potential of Honda's k-series (iVTEC + high redline).

Don't get me wrong, the fa20 is impressive in its own right, I just don't think it has comparable potential.
That is actually disappointing figures for the FA20 with those mods. The stock power is between 160-170 whp and Tainens car was I think rated at 162whp right?
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #60
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
That is actually disappointing figures for the FA20 with those mods. The stock power is between 160-170 whp and Tainens car was I think rated at 162whp right?
You think? Just changing the exhaust and essentially nothing else (I think the intake barely did anything right?) for more than 10% greater power is not bad I think.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #61
manonastick

Drives: WRB ZC6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I reckon it will be hard too know whats going to happen to the fa20. .. only time will tell lol
manonastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #62
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Overall Handling:
FR-S > DC2 > DC5

Steering Feel:
DC2 > FR-S = DC5

Chassis Balance (neutral being better):
FR-S >>> DC5 > DC2

Body Roll (less roll being better):
FR-S > DC5 > DC2

Ride Comfort:
DC2 > DC5 = FR-S
\
Not sure if I agree. I own a DC2-R and a DC5. I think the chassis balance of the DC2 to be much more neutral than the DC5. In terms of roll. It depends on how old your shocks are. If you can find a brand new OEM DC2-R suspension and brand new RSX-S insurance it might be a different outcome. I find the DC5 ride comfort to be way better than the DC2. Even the panels on the DC2 are thinner. You can hear everything outside. I'd say the FRS has the worse steering feel out of all of them. You are comparing two hydraulic systems to a new electric system. I do agree the FRS can outhandle the DC2. It takes a good driver to do so though. It's much easier to drive the FWD DC2 at its limits.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #63
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
The Elise / Exige do not have an LSD standard and are actually faster on the track without it. Understandably, there are quite a few differences between an RSX and a Lotus, but it's not necessarily imperative that a sports car have an LSD.
Different cars. In a FWD world of Hondas. A LSD makes a HUGE difference. Just drive two rsx's back to back one with a 1 way lsd and one with an open diff.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #64
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
\
Not sure if I agree. I own a DC2-R and a DC5. I think the chassis balance of the DC2 to be much more neutral than the DC5. In terms of roll. It depends on how old your shocks are. If you can find a brand new OEM DC2-R suspension and brand new RSX-S insurance it might be a different outcome. I find the DC5 ride comfort to be way better than the DC2. Even the panels on the DC2 are thinner. You can hear everything outside. I'd say the FRS has the worse steering feel out of all of them. You are comparing two hydraulic systems to a new electric system. I do agree the FRS can outhandle the DC2. It takes a good driver to do so though. It's much easier to drive the FWD DC2 at its limits.
Yeah it might depend which DC2 you have. I haven't driven an ITR, but I suspect its suspension was setup with firmer springs/shocks and less body roll than the GS-R I had. If I recall, the ITR also lacked sound insulation.

Also agree with your comment on LSD making a bigger difference on FWD Hondas.

Man I miss Honda's "glory days".
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #65
alex86

Drives: Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i own a 06 rsx-s and im waiting for my frs. i guess frs and dc5 are incomparable since both are different functions.
alex86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #66
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Your forgetting this is peak power and not to mention this was done on a different dyno than what his baseline was on. With those mods, he was seeing over 20 lft lbs of tq gained in the dip, and 29 whp in some of the higher RPM's, with 8-15 whp all across the entire power band. That is impressive if you ask me. Go ask an S2k guy what exhaust, headers and a tune nets him?
Opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #67
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
anyone go stock vs stock type-s? :P brz/frs has been out for a while now and no update to this thread!
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #68
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinma View Post
anyone go stock vs stock type-s? :P brz/frs has been out for a while now and no update to this thread!
I had a 2006 type-s that I sold in 2009 so it's been a few years but the BRZ is in a different league. Much more balanced, responsive, and obviously RWD > FWD. BRZ feels like a sports car, RSX feels like a sporty coupe.

The K20 had a little more pull up top thanks to its 8k redline but the BRZ has more torque down-low which is nice for every day driving. Overall the engines feel pretty similar and the gear ratios are actually almost identical. The build quality of the RSX was much better (no rattles at all) and it never once saw the dealership so it had that going for it but I would never think of going back.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #69
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
RSX-S has legendary reliability.
I went to the dealership not too long ago to test drive an FRS and I must say I did not expect to be this underwhelmed. My RSX-S barely has any mods on it (i/h/e) and I still remember how it was stock. I'm not really sure what numbers say, but stock for stock I do feel like the k20 would be quicker.

I did feel a pretty vast difference in handling (the FRS being better, obviously)

As far as interior goes, someone mentionned that FRS>>RSX .. I disagree. For a 10+ year old car, some of it feels better as far as quality goes. (wtf cupholders?)
The RSX is much more versatile too, being a hatch.

That being said, I am looking to sell my type-s and going with an frs/brz, so I guess all in all, RWD>FWD.
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #70
ThisIsChrisKim
Hockey Playing Scientist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT (WRB)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
RSX-S has legendary reliability.
I went to the dealership not too long ago to test drive an FRS and I must say I did not expect to be this underwhelmed. My RSX-S barely has any mods on it (i/h/e) and I still remember how it was stock. I'm not really sure what numbers say, but stock for stock I do feel like the k20 would be quicker.

I did feel a pretty vast difference in handling (the FRS being better, obviously)

As far as interior goes, someone mentionned that FRS>>RSX .. I disagree. For a 10+ year old car, some of it feels better as far as quality goes. (wtf cupholders?)
The RSX is much more versatile too, being a hatch.

That being said, I am looking to sell my type-s and going with an frs/brz, so I guess all in all, RWD>FWD.
Try taking a look at the BRZ Limited if you'd like a slightly upgraded interior. You may find you like the added amenities coming from the RSX.
ThisIsChrisKim is offline   Reply With Quote