follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:08 AM   #575
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
This guy brings up a good point. (Weight 20% more)

So if we applied that to FT-1's specs from GT6, we would get a new weight of 3,492 lbs with 436hp.

FT-86 on GT5
2,200 lbs with 221hp

Scion FR-S
2,624 lbs with 200hp

FT-1 on GT6
2,910 lbs with 485hp

FT-1 proudction specs?
3,492 lbs with 436hp
Ahhh! Cross forum post quote notification!

Seriously though, those numbers look totally plausible, achievable, and not too shabby. Weight's right inline with Mk3 and 4 Supras and power has already been met by IS-F.

So IS-F power in a radically styled Mk4, anyone?

Because titanium.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #576
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
those numbers don't sound to bad at all. a little more power and abit less weight than the current v8 ISF.
Could probably be the same engine that goes into the new IS-F. V6TT.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #577
GhostRai
Rice Monkey

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Since BMW and Toyota are in a partnership and are building a sports car, it's most likely they are building the Supra. My worry is that once the final design is shown, it won't have the right look to it. As well, it's going to have a hybrid drivetrain as a option. This is not a bad thing however, as we have seen the McLaren P1, and Porsche 918 Spyder have shown that hybrids do not have to be boring. It will most likely have a some sort of 6-cylinder (hopefully a straight-6)

Toyota has been doing alot of partnerships... with Subaru, BMW, and now apparently the new Yaris will have a Mazda SKYACTIV engine in it..
Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #578
Drift&Drag
TURBOLICIOUS

Drives: a machine :]
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
This is VERY exciting news but unsure what I feel about the design

Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #579
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Exterior Photos of FT-1 From MotorTrend

All of these photos are 2048 x 1360. They make great wallpapers too. Enjoy guys

Wallpapers: http://www.ft1club.com/forums/showth...rs-Compilation
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #580
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer256 View Post
Lookie at what I found just punching in random site name

http://www.ft1club.com/forums

Looks like Hachi musta just launched it and still working on it? Time to grab a low member ID. Looking forward to upgrading to the FT-1 / Supra when its released.
Quote:
^I love that new forum. More people sure join up!
Come one come all!

We'll have pics of a possible updated FT-1 Concept from the NY Auto Show in 2 weeks.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #581
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
All of these photos are 2048 x 1360. They make great wallpapers too. Enjoy guys

Wallpapers: http://www.ft1club.com/forums/showth...rs-Compilation

Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #582
Archer256

Drives: TSX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Your a FT1 god VH.

That MKIV Supra concept actually looks worse than the production model. These days its usually the reverse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Archer256 For This Useful Post:
vh_supra26 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #583
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
News about the FT1 definitely makes it sound like a GTR rival even though it was said it would not be. It was really hard thinking of the Supra not being a GTR rival.

If they could manage a stout TT I-6 with that Ferrari FF derived AWD, that would be superb. A V6 would be just too easy and common.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #584
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Why are we still talking about online sixes?
Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #585
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
because thats what we want!!!
I just assume that the people on this forum value handling and the extra two or three cylinders hanging off the front of the car isn't worth the minimal benefits an i6 has to offer
Old 04-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #586
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
I just assume that the people on this forum value handling and the extra two or three cylinders hanging off the front of the car isn't worth the minimal benefits an i6 has to offer
I value an inherently harmonically balanced and refined engine optimized for smooth and reliable power deliver without the weight, complexity and drag of using balance shafts or larger counterweights.

I think the original fathers of the Supra, GTR and most BMWs value performance over accountants and eco freaks pushing V6s. I don't think anyone expects the Supra to be a go-kart, they expect massive reliable power, lots of speed , lots of aero efficiency and downforce, and tons of sheer mechanical grip. And a cockpit built around the driver.

People want this car to be tunable or factory competitive with the ZR1, ACR Viper, GTR, 911. Not the Elise, Miata, or even 86.

Nissan is the only factory supercar using a V6. Largely because it was cost effective for them.

Btw, those two extra cylinders (not 3) hanging off the back are at the least critical point of the polar moment being more centered to the car which is more than offset by the rear mounted transmission. I'll take the smooth turbine like revs of an I6 anyday over a V6. If they do that they need only make the block as robust or more robust than the 2JZ and everyone will cry for joy!

Plus longer cars have more capability to maintain high speed aerodynamic stability over shorter cars. Look at Le Mans cars and GT cars like the NSX, Corvette, Viper, and Aston. Those are cars built for high speed endurance races.

We're car guys and we want what we want, not what environmentalists want (for once).

Last edited by Boxer486; 04-05-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #587
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
I value an inherently harmonically balanced and refined engine optimized for smooth and reliable power deliver without the weight, complexity and drag of using balance shafts.

I think the original fathers of the Supra, GTR and most BMWs value performance over accountants and eco freaks pushing V6s. I don't think anyone expects the Supra to be a go-kart, they expect massive reliable power, lots of speed , lots of aero efficiency and downforce, and tons of sheer mechanical grip. And a cockpit built around the driver.

People want this car to be tunable or factory competitive with the ZR1, ACR Viper, GTR, 911. Not the Elise, Miata, or even 86.

Nissan is the only factory supercar using a V6. Largely because it was cost effective for them.

Btw, those two extra cylinders (not 3) hanging off the back are at the least critical point of the polar moment being more centered to the car which is more than offset by the rear mounted transmission. I'll take the smooth turbine like revs of an I6 anyday over a V6. If they do that they need only make the block as robust or more robust than the 2JZ and everyone will cry for joy!

Plus longer cars have more capability to maintain high speed aerodynamic stability over shorter cars. Look at Le Mans cars and GT cars like the NSX, Corvette, Viper, and Aston. Those are cars built for high speed endurance races.

We're car guys and we want what we want, not what environmentalists want (for once).
Actually, that is wrong. BMW does not value I6 performance anymore. I6 is supported by accountants. For this reason Mercedes is also going back to I6 engine starting with the next E Class, because it will simply be cheaper to make. If V6 engine were cheaper, BMW would build them. BMW did build a V6 for the current M3/M4, but due to higher costs compare to the I6 that shares most parts with other engines, was the reason they chose I6 over V6.

But if I6 is cheaper to make, better for us.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #588
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Actually, that is wrong. BMW does not value I6 performance anymore. I6 is supported by accountants. For this reason Mercedes is also going back to I6 engine starting with the next E Class, because it will simply be cheaper to make. If V6 engine were cheaper, BMW would build them. BMW did build a V6 for the current M3/M4, but due to higher costs compare to the I6 that shares most parts with other engines, was the reason they chose I6 over V6.

But if I6 is cheaper to make, better for us.
I want to see proof or evidence of your claim because it goes against everything factual.

Explanation of some engine physics:

http://www.examiner.com/article/inli...ntages-of-both

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7093446AAweJJo

There's a quote out there somewhere years ago from the BMW CEO that they would never put a V6 in a BMW as the idea is abhorrent to them.

I6s are cheaper based on parts cost, but V6s are cheaper in another sense because one unit can be used across the entire model range (including FWD and FWD based AWD systems) so the sheer volume and simplicity of making one engine for all your cars reduces overall costs due to economies of scale and simplifies the number of production lines. V6s simply offer more packaging and power flexibility and compliance with emissions and pedestrian safety regulations.

The argument you are making is that some companies offer a I4 so using an I6 as a base allows companies to produce modularly based I4s and I3s saving development costs. But this was the same argument for producing V6s too, they were modular designs cut down from V12s and V8s. You just slash off how many cylinders you don't want. If a company wanting to produce cheap I3s means they go back to making I6s, I'm all for it. There are real performance advantages to doing so.

Btw, those BMW I-6s have a lot of magnesium alloy running through them. Not cheap...

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose