follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #1751
PSound

Drives: Toyota Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Genesis is a fine car and I am sure that many people will be very happy with it. And the nav system was pretty slick.

That said, I felt very disconnected from the road when I test drove the 2013 coupe. It simply is not what I am looking for right now.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #1752
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
The Genesis is a fine car and I am sure that many people will be very happy with it. And the nav system was pretty slick.

That said, I felt very disconnected from the road when I test drove the 2013 coupe. It simply is not what I am looking for right now.
I want what is basically the Toyota Gt limited. I am gonna settle for the FrS, unless the BRZ premium is the same price, then I will spring for the BRZ limited maybe wait and use my VIP discount when the hype dies down.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #1753
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Ah unless u test drive the 2013 2.0t r-spec 6 speed manual then u ain't really comparing to the FRS. But remember this car is $26,200.

The better bang for the buck is the 2013 mustang v6 with the performance package for $24999.

But the mustang has a shity drivetrain that blows up at 120mpg but supposedly it is only a $300 part to get the good one. Who knows if the 2013 has the good one or the shitty one.

The frs is still unique and light as hell.
But Mustangs are tanks.....
Old School musclecar.

Its a different approach to sports cars than the other ones. Good value sure, but not everyone is a fan, wants, likes the ponycars.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #1754
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
And a facelift
Isn't the facelift what ruined it this year?
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #1755
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
How is Hyundai even in the same conversation with Toyota and Subaru...
That's what I want to know.
I saw the GC take a corner and it handle like a sailboat.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #1756
ZmZMWagon

Drives: MS3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Ah unless u test drive the 2013 2.0t r-spec 6 speed manual then u ain't really comparing to the FRS. But remember this car is $26,200.

The better bang for the buck is the 2013 mustang v6 with the performance package for $24999.

But the mustang has a shity drivetrain that blows up at 120mpg but supposedly it is only a $300 part to get the good one. Who knows if the 2013 has the good one or the shitty one.

The frs is still unique and light as hell.
Actually it is comparing it to the FRS since I plan on getting an Automatic. Although you are correct, the Track does not come with an Automatic option, if it did, would I have to pay $28xxx to have the sam handling as an FRS? My whole point of this thread was just to point out that the price of the FRS is not insane as some make it out to be.

In the end the FRS and 2.0T will be equal in the go fast department, but the handling and overall interior layout/quality will probably be better in the FRS.

For $26600 the Gen Coupe was not all is was cracked up to be IMO.
ZmZMWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #1757
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
Don't forget. "I live my life a quarter-mile at a time"
And I'm DK
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #1758
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
You'll be sacrificing size (BRZ/FRS is pretty small compared to a Gen coupe) and power. Both should be pretty evident. The ligher weight would probably make it feel more tossable. But like the Elise people are yearning for more straight line power.

Not sure how different the handling ability will be.
you're one of the first people I've heard asking for more straight line speed from an Elise. The regular model does 0-60 in 4.9. The sc model cuts a half second off that. That is c5 corvette territory. The Elise is down 10hp to the brz but weighs 800 lb less.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #1759
ftwrath

Drives: Hyundai Genesis V6 Track
I refer to it as Gen Coup, Genny, Genesis, GC, and whatever else I feel like. No single accepted nickname. It's an actual name, Genesis, not an acronym (FRS/BRZ) so there is room for playful nicknames.

I don't know how the BRZ will drive, if I'd even like it but the GC does NOT feel 'heavy.' I've taken it 125 MPH and took some sharp turns at 60+ and a loop bridge going in and coming out at 50+ and this thing grips and hugs the concrete. Exactly what you want from a real wheel drive car. Big tires and good power.
It's not the 'best' as my brother had a G37 before he got his new 5 series and I like driving it a lot more but for the price I don't think you can buy a better car.
I don't think any one of us has driven a BRZ yet (I could be wrong) so I can't judge what it can do on the road (there's a lot of things professional drivers in videos can do to make cars look better) but having driven and owned the 2.0T and now the V6 Track this car is the best in its class.

A lot of us owners were asking for a new front end and we got it, Hyundai listened. The new end is nice but the aftermarket sector for the coupe is HEAVY. LOTS of dealers out there and lots of parts. With the BRZ and FRS not expecting to sell like the Genny chances are we wont see that.

You gotta figure, the Genesis competes with cars like G37 and Nissan Z and does a hell of a job, I see tons of them on the road.
The BRZ and FRS will compete with.. Miata?
Other than the real wheel drive these are not the same cars.
Which, like I said, I will not try to compare the two when I test drive.
I'll take the BRZ for what it is and if I like it for what it is more than I like my GC for what it is I will switch.

Might have to wait for the turbo as I crave power now but I will definitely get a feel for the car before hand and have already emailed out to my local Subaru dealer.

Can you really compare 274-hp, 2.0L Turbo I4 engine (stock) or 348-hp 3.8L V6 engine to 200Hp?

A weight difference 3294lb Genesis to 2700-2800lb FRS/BRZ

I mean, if you're comparing weight here a sub compact weighing ONLY 500 pounds less yet having 70 HP - Turbo less than the stock Genesis at the same price is not much to brag about.

That's like saying you'd rather weigh 150 and have a six pack than weigh 170 be faster, dunk, and still have a six pack.
Correct me if I'm wrong but faster 0-60 by half a second.. what does weight mean again?

Then for $3k more you can have an additional 150 HP and brembos (which pay for the price increase themselves).

Not trying to start anything here, but simply responding to 'claims' about a car none of you even own (genesis).

Just trying to point out that making excuses as to why you should own the brz/frs over the genesis or why one is better than the other based on weight doesn't make sense when the difference in power makes the difference in weight completely irrelevant.
ftwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #1760
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwrath View Post

A lot of us owners were asking for a new front end and we got it, Hyundai listened. The new end is nice but the aftermarket sector for the coupe is HEAVY. LOTS of dealers out there and lots of parts. With the BRZ and FRS not expecting to sell like the Genny chances are we wont see that.
How many GC 2.0T sell each year?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #1761
GMU-BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
No offense but.. It's a ****ing Hyundai.

I'm sure it's a perfectly respectable car... But it's still a Hyundai.
GMU-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #1762
ftwrath

Drives: Hyundai Genesis V6 Track
You're on a 'toyota' forum.... who own subaru.
It's a subaru... but partially inspired by a 'toyota' c'mon...
It's a ****** toyota, you'll hear that all day when you buy one, trust me, even the subaru is a 'subaru' regardless, you'll hear this until you buy a bmw, audi, infinity, or mercedes.

Just following your reasoning.
Then again it's hard to reason with people who don't care to reason.

My reply was at least reasonable.
Anyone can say 'it's a hyundai'
or
'how many gc's sell each year'
Can you tell me how many? or why Hyundai took over as the number one car retailer in the u.s.? (in respective categories) Their cars look awesome and you HAVE to give respect for what they have done with their image over the last few years. I'll get into a sonata over a camry or a genesis over any toyota/subaru car out there 'right now'
I mean, they're even knocking on the doors of lexus and infinity.

Please use reasoning when you reply. Anyone can just throw out meaningless sentences.
ftwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #1763
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Isn't their a thread for .... vs Hyundai Genesis?
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #1764
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwrath View Post
You're on a 'toyota' forum.... who own subaru.
It's a subaru... but partially inspired by a 'toyota' c'mon...
It's a ****** toyota, you'll hear that all day when you buy one, trust me, even the subaru is a 'subaru' regardless, you'll hear this until you buy a bmw, audi, infinity, or mercedes.

Just following your reasoning.
Then again it's hard to reason with people who don't care to reason.

My reply was at least reasonable.
Anyone can say 'it's a hyundai'
or
'how many gc's sell each year'
Can you tell me how many? or why Hyundai took over as the number one car retailer in the u.s.? (in respective categories) Their cars look awesome and you HAVE to give respect for what they have done with their image over the last few years. I'll get into a sonata over a camry or a genesis over any toyota/subaru car out there 'right now'
I mean, they're even knocking on the doors of lexus and infinity.

Please use reasoning when you reply. Anyone can just throw out meaningless sentences.
The sales volume question was probably a real question. The GenCoupe is the most compared car to the FR-S/BRZ on this forum if you base it on the 'Vs.' thread post count and views.

A few of us are waiting to test out both before making a purchase decision. Tranz, I believe, is one of those people. I'm another.

Because titanium.

Last edited by WingsofWar; 03-23-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote