follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
Armin93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headers too loud

Hey guys
I have greddy cartback and just recently put psr UEL headers and now ita way too loud to point that it gives me a headache. Anyone knows what i can do apart from removing headers or catback?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Armin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Which catback?

Still stock front pipe? If so then changing the catback to something quieter is probably the only option. Maybe JDL ultra quiet or HKS duel res front pipe may help but dont know how hard it is to get those in down there

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #3
Armin93

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Which catback?

Still stock front pipe? If so then changing the catback to something quieter is probably the only option. Maybe JDL ultra quiet or HKS duel res front pipe may help but dont know how hard it is to get those in down there

greddy Supreme elite
Its not a loud catback to be honest
Fron pipe is stock but overpipe is psr

Old 02-12-2017, 03:23 AM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin93 View Post
greddy Supreme elite
Its not a loud catback to be honest
Fron pipe is stock but overpipe is psr

Overpipe shouldnt make a huge sound difference but can a bit. Stock front pipe doesnt leave many options since nothing is quieter really.

Sometime even quiet catbacks lead to wierd resonance. When I had the q300 in my set-up and it was super loud and raspy like a 90s honda. Even stock catback was bad in that regard.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 02-12-2017, 03:27 AM   #5
Armin93

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Overpipe shouldnt make a huge sound difference but can a bit. Stock front pipe doesnt leave many options since nothing is quieter really.

Sometime even quiet catbacks lead to wierd resonance. When I had the q300 in my set-up and it was super loud and raspy like a 90s honda. Even stock catback was bad in that regard.

The main problem is on lower rpms it doesnt sound nice. I wouldnt care if it was juts really loud but this is actually annoying. On 2000rmp when i accelerate it sounds something is flapping in the exhaust

Old 02-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #6
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
The main problem is on lower rpms it doesnt sound nice. I wouldnt care if it was juts really loud but this is actually annoying. On 2000rmp when i accelerate it sounds something is flapping in the exhaust

Sure its not a leak? Did you use new gaskets? Otherwise it just sounds like rasp that comes with a catless UEL. Its worst when down in the 1500-2k range.

Also trying to accel that low usually isnt a great idea due to the super high load.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:00 AM   #7
DemonRawr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6M
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There is one other solution to quieting down your current setup; however, it will require messing with the midpipe section of your catback. You can go to a muffler shop and ask them to weld on another resonator before or after the resonator that's already on there. The resonator will have to be compact, and depending on the resonator, it will drastically reduce the noise.

That is what I did when my setup at the time was way too loud for my taste. I was skeptical at first when he said that with the addition of a small resonator, it would reduce the volume by 25%, but after the welding was done and I started the car, I was utterly shocked to find that it was even quieter than that!

It not only took the nasty bite out of the exhaust note, but reduced the volume to about half! The welder even said that he could have even made it quieter with a different resonator if I wanted.

I hope that this helps with your situation!
DemonRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DemonRawr For This Useful Post:
roddy (02-14-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 05:05 AM   #8
DGSeries10

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like DemonRawr's solution. I just went back to the stock catback for the same reason - full setup was just too loud for DD. I am now running FT86SF catted uel, motiv overpipe, invidia resonated front pipe, stock catback. Not ideal in the looks department, but is so livable and still has some tone (but no rasp). Butt dyno for the current setup feels better than my previous attempt to quiet down, which was catted uel, motiv overpipe, stock front pipe and FT86SF v1 resonated catback.
DGSeries10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
Armin93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRawr View Post
There is one other solution to quieting down your current setup; however, it will require messing with the midpipe section of your catback. You can go to a muffler shop and ask them to weld on another resonator before or after the resonator that's already on there. The resonator will have to be compact, and depending on the resonator, it will drastically reduce the noise.

That is what I did when my setup at the time was way too loud for my taste. I was skeptical at first when he said that with the addition of a small resonator, it would reduce the volume by 25%, but after the welding was done and I started the car, I was utterly shocked to find that it was even quieter than that!

It not only took the nasty bite out of the exhaust note, but reduced the volume to about half! The welder even said that he could have even made it quieter with a different resonator if I wanted.

I hope that this helps with your situation!

This sounds perfect. I'll give it a go and hope i get the same result. How much roughly is the cost of this?

Old 02-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had the same problem with EL header and Perrin exhaust. I went to the Invida Q300 exhaust and HKS dual resonated front pipe.

Try the HKS font pipe 1st, if that docent work good enough exhaust to the Q300.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
Helios

Drives: 2014 Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
This sounds perfect. I'll give it a go and hope i get the same result. How much roughly is the cost of this?

Mostly depends on the cost of the additional resonator. The welding job itself usually costs about $100. So, I'd say somewhere in the range of $200-350 total.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #12
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
These cars get really loud with a catback and header if you're not careful, which is seems like that's what happened!

I would look into having an exhaust shop weld in something like a vibrant ultra quiet resonator into the FP to replace the stock resonator. The stock FP resonator is decent, not great. Swapping it with something great, that's designed to take the volume down a bunch should put a nice dent in it.

The Greddy catback has a resonator in it already, but it's a very small one, so if you need more, you could look into having that one replaced with a more impressive resonator as well.

Good luck!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
HuntingtonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Add a supercharger. That lowered my volume....by adding volume of air intake? Lol. But yeah, it worked.

HuntingtonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:13 AM   #14
Armin93

So i went to a few shops to get a resonator added. I was told that its not possible to make it any more quiet than it is. And they didnt really give me another option