follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #43
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Stock redline is fine, bounce off the rev limiter all you want.

Oil temperature and pressure only becomes an issue during sustained high rpm driving, usually only occurs on track days or if you're driving around >6k rpm for awhile for whatever reason (backroad, wasting gas on the freeway, driving "spiritedly" etc.)

If you don't plan on tracking or running the engine over 5k rpm for 10+ minutes frequently you don't have to do anything about this 'problem'. Only a few have had serious problems and the majority are experienced track day people.
Kind of off topic but a week or so ago, I had to make it somewhere pretty quick and hauled ass to get there. 85 or so on the interstate for about 25 minutes and then hogging on it in town.

When I parked it later, I noticed it was chattering. Sounded like it was coming form the dirver's side head/valve cover area. My car's always made a knocking sound when the idle drops, but this was like that even when the idle was stable.

It hasn't done it since.

Do you think what you describe above was the issue?
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #44
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I remember the injector seal fix issue. Unfortunately, it was one of the main problems of the 1st generation cars.
The fixed tune rolled out early Spring of 2013 iirc, I think April 2013 and onwards built cars are on the revised tune from the factory, I recall May 2013 is confirmed to have the updated tune, therefore a good chunk of '13s don't have the tune problem.

Meanwhile, I've been on the 'bad' tune for almost 60k miles, doesn't appear to be any issues so far, but with only a few track days and two seasons of casual autox I don't think I'm driving in such a way to exacerbate the problem.

My car will probably be tuned in ~3 weeks so it won't be a worry anymore (unless the seals are already damaged and just need time to degrade, I have a feeling they might be long term maintenance items for high mileage/abuse cars).

In any case, if I were to replace my car or engine I'd look for a '14+ as you are right that they did make changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Brz View Post
Do you think what you describe above was the issue?
Based on the description I doubt it, every valvetrain failure I've seen posted on this forum has been a sudden failure, no warnings that went away and came back before the valve punches a hole through the valve cover.

If you're referring to oil temp, then again, not likely. The oil temp/pressure issue is a function of engine rpm so unless you were doing 80+ mph in 3rd/4th gear you likely didn't suffer any lubrication issues.

In this car, spending 20 minutes at 55 mph in 2nd gear is worse than spending 20 minutes at 110 mph in 6th.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Da Brz (04-14-2017), nikitopo (04-16-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #45
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
In this car, spending 20 minutes at 55 mph in 2nd gear is worse than spending 20 minutes at 110 mph in 6th.

Name:  1n9ytu.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  110.7 KB

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote