follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2016, 12:42 AM   #1
Blkwdo

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Satelitte Navigation System

Hey just to let 86 & BRZ owners know that in Sydney there is a gang going around breaking into cars vis either breaking 1/4 glass near mirror drivers side (as they did with my 86 GTS overnight 8/7/16 - 9/7/16) and pull the Satelitte Navigation system out. When police came they said 3 other 86's and a BRZ in inner west were broken into at that stage. News reports a week ago said over 50 sat navs were stolen ! Being shipped over to Middle East been told !
Bldwdo
Blkwdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
shodan

Drives: MY15 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
But... why the 1/4 glass? If they're gonna smash glass, why not just the main window? Is it a car alarm thing?
shodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
Blkwdo

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS black
I don't know why only the 1/4 window, I can't see into the minds of the offender. I'm told there is no alarm in the 86, I believe you can get an after market one installed !
Blkwdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
https://www.globalsecurityexperts.co...ard-clear.html
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
"Being shipped over to Middle East been told!"

So not only is the ME responsible for 90% of the world's terrorism, it's now also the place to get a cheap Sat/Nav for an 86.

Stealing is a pain in the arse on its own, but just as bad is the damage done to wiring, panels, glass, etc, as is knowing some POS has disrespected and violated your car.

If the ME is involved perhaps the sharia method of cutting off a thief's hands is a good penalty.

I like the sound of it. Especially for our Apex Gang members carjacking here in Melbourne.

The way this country is starting to resemble South Africa, in more ways than one, bullet proof glass will soon be a selectable option when buying a new car.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tie & lock 'em up in pitch black concrete cell & unleash a plague of flesh eating bugs - when they stop crying yelling & screaming you know the job is done. Personally I would want a bomb-proof car
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 AM   #7
Iniquitous

Drives: 2013 Toyota GTS 86
This is still ongoing, mine got grabbed last night as well. Same manner - Quarter drivers windows smashed and removed. R.I.P Satnav.
Iniquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
ZZT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquitous View Post
This is still ongoing, mine got grabbed last night as well. Same manner - Quarter drivers windows smashed and removed. R.I.P Satnav.

Did you have alarm installed?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Apart from an alarm, especially one as sophisticated as ZZT86's, what other steps/methods are owners taking or using to stop these uneducated, lazy, thieving pricks from breaking in or taking the car itself.

What fuses in the engine compartment can be pulled to totally immobilise the car making it a must to lift it off the wheels to move? I'm thinking injectors or fuel pumps, though it can still be towed. I've had switches cutting the positive battery lead but that's not an option with this car and the ECM's it has running everything.

Obviously won't stop the dedicate Sat/Nav thieves, which is strange in itself because the unit is a pretty low powered basic unit, is a pain in the arse to use for phone calls especially the voice assistance, and has a very basic sat/nav interface that locks out when car is moving.

A deadlock system that makes opening the car door impossible when it's locked from outside would force thieves to actually climb in thru a broken door window to get to the sat/nav increasing the time and effort needed and increasing the chances of being cut on shattered glass. Making something as hard, and uninviting as possible to steal is the aim.

There are a lot of mods that can be made using Toyota's TIS software. Wonder if there is a setting that locks the transmission, manual, or actually has a door deadlock function.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #10
Iniquitous

Drives: 2013 Toyota GTS 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
Did you have alarm installed?
Unfortunately not. Here i was thinking most modern cars came with them... last mistake i'll ever make hopefully..

I'd assume an inside job too. only had the car 2 weeks. whomever they were they'd have access to the information of exactly where these 86's are and hit them all in one night.

Given i was also told that it happened to a few that night.
Iniquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:10 AM   #11
ZZT86

Sorry to hear of your loss, unfortunately cheaper cars don't come with fancy alarms, just the immobilizer which I think is law on cars for oz. Problem with immobilizers is that they may prevent some prick from stealing the whole enchilada but not break-in & steal a HU.