follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #43
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Hey look one dude had a rotor failure on his race car! That must mean all the other people using that brand are gonna have the same issue, better run for the hills!

This is why the internet is idiotic.
I agree that does happen.. people having concerns is understandable.

Quote:
Seriously, that rotor looks like it had been run hard for quite a while, you can see the wear had actually left a nice little lip around the hub. Not to mention that the slot wear indicators are flush with the rotor surface. The fact that these are used on a "professionaly" maintained racecar leads me to question just how diligent those inspections were, rotors are a CONSUMABLE resource, just like pads, brake fluid, etc.
I disagree here. That rotor is far from dead (well besides the obvious in this case). I would never consider replacing a rotor that looked like that unless I liked to waste money. The only potential (which is why I asked Mike about it) area of negligence that I see on the team's side is whether or not they've inspected the mounting "ears" for cracks. I check mine everytime I change pads (as best as I can, it's somewhat of a pain in the butt and maybe harder with the wilwood design - without removing the calipers at any rate - especially with the dust shields installed). Either way though, those rotors are just fine, hell when I first saw them I thought "Those rotors look decently new too.". My AP rotors currently look more worn that those do.

Quote:
Personally, I think it was negligence on the team maintaining this car, that led to this. I don't race, and I would never drive my car on the street with rotors worn like that.

<snip>

So enough ranting, I'll let the internet go back to making wild assumptions about the quality of parts a manufacturer makes based on a picture of broken rotor.
I think you are making a wild assumption on the condition of that rotor and the team's ability to maintain the car also. I drive my car on the street and track with rotors worn more than that. I really doubt that rotor was crazy used, it doesn't look like it at all to me.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #44
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Why wouldn't you?

That one is modified for the brake cooling duct plus it protects the ball joints and tie rods.

Just because the rotors weren't brand new doesn't mean you should expect a catastrophic failure like that. I know a little about that car and it's pretty well maintained and put together. Plus it's n/a and on street tires so there's not even that much stress on the brakes.
It does help protect ball joints and tie rod ends, so does thermal tape I remove the dust shields and have run thermal tape before, but haven't with the BRZ yet.. I need to eventually.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Mnoland9 (04-10-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #45
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I really can't go too much into the situation, but @Dave-ROR is correct; the rotor is not heavily worn at all. This is what our AP rotor currently looks like:

CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpracer View Post
Why would you run a stock dust shield on a racecar???
Because it acts as a heat shield, keeping heat away from other suspension components (ball joints anyone?).

Also, as @jamal mentioned, it is ducted, and the heat shield will reduce turbulance, directing air to the proper place.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #47
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Because it acts as a heat shield, keeping heat away from other suspension components (ball joints anyone?).

Also, as @jamal mentioned, it is ducted, and the heat shield will reduce turbulance, directing air to the proper place.
I'll agree to that to some degree, but I bet there is more air flow in "many" circumstances by removing the dust shield. I guess the ball joints on my car are not near the face of a rotor. If that shield is keeping heat away from other things it is reflecting it to the rotor, it has to go somewhere. My brake ducts do go directly to the eye of the rotor and there is very little gap between the duct and the rotor, forcing the air into the middle not the face. I hope they are not cooling the inside face of the rotor directly.

I just see what looks like lots of corrosion, maybe it is just the picture.

But, I will say one thing, shit happens to racecars that you would never expect. I had a bolt come loose from the exhaust once, it managed to lodge itself between the wheel and the rear brake caliper, machining a groove in the wheel. Luckily I was coming down the pit lane, or it could have been a SPECTACULAR failure. It was still stuck there as a came to a stop. I use v-band clamps on exhaust flanges now...

(edit - changed phrase to "reflecting")
Ducati 848

Last edited by bpracer; 04-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote