follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSciFRS View Post
This intermittent power steering failure should be considered a safety concern. Toyota and Subaru should do the right thing and issue a TSB/recall for it. If this happens whilst in the middle of a sharp turn, it can really cause a bad accident.
Anyone knows how to contact the right people at Toyota/Subaru?
Has it happened to you? How many has it happened to?
humfrz (01-29-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #16
PatSciFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Has it happened to you? How many has it happened to?
Yeah, it has happened to me on several random occasions. On most of these occurrences, a quick engine off and on at the stop light solved the problem. On at least one occasion, the warning light and beep came on while driving and before I got the the next stop, the fault cleared itself. The other day, my son and his wife came to visit and I let them borrow the car during their stay. I had to warn them about the steering problem. Of course, they never experienced it happening, and they probably thought that I had just made up this story so they would not try to "drift" the car. Maybe they did do it anyway, who knows?
PatSciFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatSciFRS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSciFRS View Post
Yeah, it has happened to me on several random occasions. On most of these occurrences, a quick engine off and on at the stop light solved the problem. On at least one occasion, the warning light and beep came on while driving and before I got the the next stop, the fault cleared itself. The other day, my son and his wife came to visit and I let them borrow the car during their stay. I had to warn them about the steering problem. Of course, they never experienced it happening, and they probably thought that I had just made up this story so they would not try to "drift" the car. Maybe they did do it anyway, who knows?
Presume you have had it in to the dealer?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #18
Brz_racer

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This has yet to become a widespread issue with these cars, if it ever does. It would need to happen to hundreds or even thousands of owners before Subaru or Toyota would issue a TSB, let alone a full on recall. Recalls cost the manufacturer a fortune and they wont put one out just because a few people have had this problem. This is why it's usually a good idea to get an extended warranty for after the manufacturer one expires.
Brz_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz_racer For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brz_racer View Post
This has yet to become a widespread issue with these cars, if it ever does. It would need to happen to hundreds or even thousands of owners before Subaru or Toyota would issue a TSB, let alone a full on recall. Recalls cost the manufacturer a fortune and they wont put one out just because a few people have had this problem. This is why it's usually a good idea to get an extended warranty for after the manufacturer one expires.
There was a recall for steering failure in Australia (and the UK?). It was for corrosion in a module that we don't even have here though. It didn't take hundreds or thousands of failures to drive the recall though.
Recalls are strictly for safety reasons and can occur even with relatively few failures. The thing is that the failures all have to have the exact same cause. I don't think there has been any consistent cause identified for the very, very rare reports of failures in North America.
TSB are technical documents on how to repair identified defects. They are just instructions and in no way should they be confused with a recall or even an acknowledgement that there is a problem (weird but true). Once again however they can only exist if there are enough failures to identify a common cause and develop a correction.
Since recalls only can occur for safety reasons the manufacturers usually have zero say in if there is a recall or not. They most certainly have the option of a voluntary recall (such as the valve spring one) or the NHSTA (in the USA) can force them. They can't decline because it will cost them to much. If somebody has had a repeated issue that is safety related and they have not managed to fix it they should contact the NHSTA. They WILL investigate.
Extended warranties can be a hit or miss proposition. Some use them and it saves them thousands. Most never have an issue so they never collect and beyond giving peace of mind it was wasted. They are pretty much a gamble with you betting you will have a serious enough problem to make it worthwhile and the insurance company (they are insurance companies) betting you won't and keeping your money.
Brz_racer (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
It didn't take hundreds of thousands of valve spring failures to issue a recall for that. What was there like 94 cases reported? I am not having intermittent outages on my car but I am suffering from the annoying gear chatter (not a safety concern). It would be nice if they sold parts for this unit so you were not forced to replace the whole thing at $1400. I bet the intermittent outages are due to something as stupid as a sensor going bad but because it's only sold as one unit you can't buy just a sensor.

One of these days when I'm in the mood to potentially burn some money and I will buy a used unit on eBay for $150 to take apart and learn from.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #21
Brz_racer

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Back in 2010 I had Cobalt SS that had a recall for the ignition shutting off when going over bumps but I didnt know it at the time I bought the car. This was a serious issue that when it occurred would cause the steering wheel to lock while moving. Happened to me on the highway going 70mph once and I almost shit myself. My point is at least you were still able to retain manual control of the car.
Brz_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brz_racer For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (08-19-2019), humfrz (01-30-2019), Tcoat (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brz_racer View Post
Back in 2010 I had Cobalt SS that had a recall for the ignition shutting off when going over bumps but I didnt know it at the time I bought the car. This was a serious issue that when it occurred would cause the steering wheel to lock while moving. Happened to me on the highway going 70mph once and I almost shit myself. My point is at least you were still able to retain manual control of the car.
The GM ignition recall is one of the most infamous ones out there. If memory serves me it caused 150 or so deaths and ended up costing Gm almost a billion dollars in penalties alone. I believe the total costs with lawsuits, recall expenses, penalties and others was somewhere around $3.5 billion. It is one of the main reasons that voluntary recalls have climbed over the last few years.
Brz_racer (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #23
pkat696

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Garage
I have been chasing the same issue on my 2013 FR-S. Here is a thread describing others' attempts to figure this out as well my attempts, which by the way continue.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114665
pkat696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #24
Envirotech

Drives: 2014 BRZ
I have had the same intermittent problem on my 2014. started happening in maybe 2016. I first started seeing it when it was very damp out in the mornings. Then eventually, when it was really hot out. Now, just yesterday, it happened, and it would not disappear. Restarted car 5 or 6 times. Kept coming back. Looks like whatever loose wire, corrosion, bad connection has finally decided to not correct itself. Shop bound today.
Envirotech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envirotech For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #25
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envirotech View Post
I have had the same intermittent problem on my 2014. started happening in maybe 2016. I first started seeing it when it was very damp out in the mornings. Then eventually, when it was really hot out. Now, just yesterday, it happened, and it would not disappear. Restarted car 5 or 6 times. Kept coming back. Looks like whatever loose wire, corrosion, bad connection has finally decided to not correct itself. Shop bound today.

That is interesting because all the electronics related to the EPS are located inside the car. It’s all mounted to the column right behind the lower kick panel. You can reach your arm under there and lay your hand on the motor.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #26
rflip

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
The same issue has been occurring on my 13 and the dealer diagnosed it as a failure of the ECU. It’s happened roughly 30 times in the last year and is a $1200 fix at the dealer. The dealer solution matches the solution for the Australian recall.
rflip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rflip For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (10-19-2019)