follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #15
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You've already been to prison.

Get a lawyer. Without one you're screwed.

You are going to have to sell your car. Unless you are a minor there is zero chance they are not going to yank your license for a long time unless you have an amazing lawyer.

There is a good chance that "Charger" behind you was a cop. They run schemes like that all the time.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Howaitoguru (08-19-2019), soundman98 (08-19-2019), Tristor (08-20-2019), weederr33 (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #16
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

You are going to have to sell your car. Unless you are a minor there is zero chance they are not going to yank your license for a long time unless you have an amazing lawyer.

There is a good chance that "Charger" behind you was a cop. They run schemes like that all the time.

That’s what my mom said too. She thinks it was a trap. I noticed also once I got blue lighted the red charger crept next to me in the median until I pulled over idk if they thought I was going to run? I thought they were pulling him over. This is all so confusing and stressful. Also, never been to prison. Been to jail. Prison is a different world. Never want to go there. Don’t want to go to jail either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I would love to see one officially documented "scheme" such as this. They can catch plenty of speeders without baiting people. Just the timing required to have the other car up to speed in traffic while the cruiser came from the other direction would be quite a feat to pull off.
Dadhawk (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

The first thing that came to mind as reading his story was that the charger was a cop. I’ve see several stories of cops in unmarked cars riding ass trying to instigate a race. Seems borderline entrapment to me.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Howaitoguru (08-19-2019), why? (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #19
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I would love to see one officially documented "scheme" such as this. They can catch plenty of speeders without baiting people. Just the timing required to have the other car up to speed in traffic while the cruiser came from the other direction would be quite a feat to pull off.

They aren’t looking for speeders they are looking for street racers. If they pull crap like this enough times and word gets around it will cut down on street racing.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #20
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
They aren’t looking for speeders they are looking for street racers. If they pull crap like this enough times and word gets around it will cut down on street racing.

Wouldn’t this be some form of entrapment though? Isn’t that illegal?

The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
why? (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Bullshit.
The cop came over a hill.
Saw two cars speeding and apparently racing.
Had a split second to make a decision.
Pulled over both.
One ran.
Cop called it in and stayed with the one he had.
No conspiracy, scheme or any other shady goings on.
It was just bad timing on How's part and now he needs to fight it. Get it knocked down to speeding and pay the fine.
Hell, he doesn't even know how fast he was actually going so maybe the 80 was right.

People need to rationalize such things to figure out why it wasn't their fault.
Everybody go ahead and make shit up based on absolutely no facts though. It seems to be the trend these days.
Dadhawk (08-19-2019), IceFyre13th (08-19-2019), p1l0t (08-19-2019), soulreapersteve (08-21-2019), Tristor (08-20-2019), xdavidx (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #22
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaitoguru View Post
Technically, no. Giving someone the "opportunity" to break the law is not entrapment. It's a sting operation, but it's not illegal.

In this case the driver could have just maintained his (near) legal speed and pulled over in the right lane and let the Charger pass rather than speeding up.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-19-2019), why? (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #23
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Technically, no. Giving someone the "opportunity" to break the law is not entrapment. It's a sting operation, but it's not illegal.

In this case the driver could have just maintained his (near) legal speed and pulled over in the right lane and let the Charger pass rather than speeding up.

There was no room in the right lane and as soon as there was an opening he cut off the other drivers and zoomed around me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #24
ermax

Quote:

Seems like it would be. I had something similar happen to me by a cop in a C300 with normal plate even with one of those rented covers over the plate. The light turned green and I took off like I normally would. He then guns it like I was trying to race (I wasn’t) and once he took off I then actually took off racing. Once I was clearly ahead I slowed back to the speed limit and he gets on my ass all aggressive. I take my exit and he follows. When we get to the light I see in my rearview that he is in a uniform and has a light on his dash. As soon as the light turns green and we turn on to the next road he turns on his light. I pull over and he gets out and starts yelling at me. I stay calm but he keeps threatening to take me to jail. He asks me what I think he should do. I calmly said, “do what ever you feel you to do”. He calmed down and told me to drive safely and halve a nice day.

A friend of mine is a cop and told me it was probably one of the narcotics guys because they drive impound cars all the time. So I got lucky I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #25
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Seems like it would be. I had something similar happen to me by a cop in a C300 with normal plate even with one of those rented covers over the plate. The light turned green and I took off like I normally would. He then guns it like I was trying to race (I wasn’t) and once he took off I then actually took off racing. Once I was clearly ahead I slowed back to the speed limit and he gets on my ass all aggressive. I take my exit and he follows. When we get to the light I see in my rearview that he is in a uniform and has a light on his dash. As soon as the light turns green and we turn on to the next road he turns on his light. I pull over and he gets out and starts yelling at me. I stay calm but he keeps threatening to take me to jail. He asks me what I think he should do. I calmly said, “do what ever you feel you to do”. He calmed down and told me to drive safely and halve a nice day.

A friend of mine is a cop and told me it was probably one of the narcotics guys because they drive impound cars all the time. So I got lucky I guess.

That’s fucked up.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #26
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
There was no room in the right lane and as soon as there was an opening he cut off the other drivers and zoomed around me.
Well, in your case I seriously doubt the guy behind you was a cop. As @Tcoat said, the timing just would be near impossible. If it was a sting, likely the second cop car would have been ahead of you on the same side of the road and he would have waited for you to pass. Even with that, that's a lot of effort for one ticket.

Your best bet at this point is to lawyer up. You may be able to work through it yourself as others have suggested, but it will be tough. If I take your description as accurate it seems there area enough holes a lawyer should be able to get it reduced to something more reasonable.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #27
Howaitoguru

Quote:

That’s fucked up.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #28
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Manufacturers should start making dash cams standard, which can optionally record speed too. It would make police, and other drivers more accountable for situations such as this. Maybe you were speeding but not to the assumed speed the police decide to say you were going.

You can use one of those X-copper type lawyers and see what they can do for you. A friend of mine many years ago used them multiple times in a single year and managed to save his license and car. I believe in his instance they told him not to go to court and let them take care of it for him.

He had one of the first cases back when Ontario's 50km over street racing law was just coming into effect. Along with a reckless driving charge and some other minors.

Last edited by RToyo86; 08-19-2019 at 10:01 AM.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
why? (08-20-2019)