follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #15
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just had my 30000 mile service done last week. This is a 2015 Scion FRS. According to my Maintenance Schedule, I should have the engine oil and filter changed, the cabin filter replaced, the air filter replaced, the tires rotated and the brake fluid replaced. I replaced the cabin filter and engine air filter myself. No problem. I had the shop where I purchased my all season tires rotate them for me. No charge, because I bought the tires there. So far, no problem. I had the dealership replace the oil and filter for about 70 bucks, and the brake fluid replaced for 140 bucks. Total price - $210. I called the local Subaru dealership, and the price was essentially the same. Here's the problem - as they were buttoning up the whole thing, the service adviser calls me and said that the technician said I should have the rear differential fluid replaced. He said, "after all, it's a rear wheel drive vehicle, and we always suggest a fluid change at 30000 miles".

This, in my mind is a total up-sell. After I retired from my job, I worked part time a couple of days a week at the local Lexus dealership. I was a valet - I would drive the customer's car to the Service Manager, who would direct me to give it to the next Technician. This was a great little job for me, but I found out that the Service Department would give bonuses to Technicians that could "up-sell" a customer for more work done at that same time.

My question is this: do the twins really need a rear differential fluid change at 30000 miles? I can see it at, maybe 60000 miles, or if there were severe conditions that the car was subjected to. I don't see the service even covered in the Maintenance Schedule.

Finally, I know that there are some of you out there that say I'm wasting my money having such simple things done at a dealership when I could easily do it myself. I just want to head you off at the pass - I'm 65 years old, and I have done oil and filter changes before some of you were even born. That said, I'm just too old and tired to do it myself now.

Anyway, your thoughts on a rear differential fluid change at 30000 miles would be appreciated.

Oh, after I declined the extra service the Service Adviser said the fluid just "looked a little brown" and that it should be fine for a while....

Last edited by winstonscifi; 07-16-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: I'd like to add something else
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #16
Will BRZ

Drives: 2015 Limited CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Also interested in this. Dealership is quoting $400 for everything since it's an automatic. I can get it a bit cheaper if I decline a couple things, but as mentioned above, it includes lots of services. I'm definitely declining tire rotation as I'm getting new ones next month. I know for a fact, however, that it needs most of the services.

Does anyone know how often (or if) automatic transmission fluid needs to be changed? I know it's at 30,000 for manuals, but I've heard automatics "work differently". I'm asking because it has to go in for the transmission pan gasket to be replaced (waiting on the part). Not sure if I should ask them to just go ahead and change the fluid in there as well. What do you guys think? Just want to get everything sorted out so I can put a damn catback on or something lol
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #17
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
I just had my 30000 mile service done last week. This is a 2015 Scion FRS. According to my Maintenance Schedule, I should have the engine oil and filter changed, the cabin filter replaced, the air filter replaced, the tires rotated and the brake fluid replaced. I replaced the cabin filter and engine air filter myself. No problem. I had the shop where I purchased my all season tires rotate them for me. No charge, because I bought the tires there. So far, no problem. I had the dealership replace the oil and filter for about 70 bucks, and the brake fluid replaced for 140 bucks. Total price - $210. I called the local Subaru dealership, and the price was essentially the same. Here's the problem - as they were buttoning up the whole thing, the service adviser calls me and said that the technician said I should have the rear differential fluid replaced. He said, "after all, it's a rear wheel drive vehicle, and we always suggest a fluid change at 30000 miles".

This, in my mind is a total up-sell. After I retired from my job, I worked part time a couple of days a week at the local Lexus dealership. I was a valet - I would drive the customer's car to the Service Manager, who would direct me to give it to the next Technician. This was a great little job for me, but I found out that the Service Department would give bonuses to Technicians that could "up-sell" a customer for more work done at that same time.

My question is this: do the twins really need a rear differential fluid change at 30000 miles? I can see it at, maybe 60000 miles, or if there were severe conditions that the car was subjected to. I don't see the service even covered in the Maintenance Schedule.

Finally, I know that there are some of you out there that say I'm wasting my money having such simple things done at a dealership when I could easily do it myself. I just want to head you off at the pass - I'm 65 years old, and I have done oil and filter changes before some of you were even born. That said, I'm just too old and tired to do it myself now.

Anyway, your thoughts on a rear differential fluid change at 30000 miles would be appreciated.

Oh, after I declined the extra service the Service Adviser said the fluid just "looked a little brown" and that it should be fine for a while....
Have your kid or grand kid do it. Just as easy as an oil change, but the fluid is about half the cost and you donít need a new filter. 30$ DIY. Maybe 50$ for them to do?
At 30k it wouldnít be a bad idea. The first time it ever gets changed your magnet will be completely coated in shavings as the first 1k miles of a diff or gears in general does the most wear.
86TOYO2k17 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (07-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #18
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Why don't you ask around in this forum? Maybe a lot of guys can do this for you for a lot less. Yes, it is a good idea to change rear diff fluid if you want to keep it for a long time. After the first change, there will be less metal shavings. So next change can be 40 or 50k later.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
qqzj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #19
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 8,816 Times in 4,961 Posts
Mentioned: 365 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Also interested in this. Dealership is quoting $400 for everything since it's an automatic. I can get it a bit cheaper if I decline a couple things, but as mentioned above, it includes lots of services. I'm definitely declining tire rotation as I'm getting new ones next month. I know for a fact, however, that it needs most of the services.

Does anyone know how often (or if) automatic transmission fluid needs to be changed? I know it's at 30,000 for manuals, but I've heard automatics "work differently". I'm asking because it has to go in for the transmission pan gasket to be replaced (waiting on the part). Not sure if I should ask them to just go ahead and change the fluid in there as well. What do you guys think? Just want to get everything sorted out so I can put a damn catback on or something lol
ATF interval is 60k miles. If you do any hard driving (track or lots of mountain runs 30-45k seems to be the real life of the fluid). If it isn't shifting rougher then normal stick to the interval in the owner's manual. If the oil pan is coming off they're gonna have to change the fluid anyway no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post

The first change on the diff will be dirty as hell at 30k miles cuz of the break in. After that if you only daily drive the car it will likely look almost new at 30k miles.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (07-18-2019), winstonscifi (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #20
Will BRZ

Drives: 2015 Limited CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
If it isn't shifting rougher then normal stick to the interval in the owner's manual. If the oil pan is coming off they're gonna have to change the fluid anyway no?
Youíre right and Iím an idiot lmao didnít think about that

Dropped it off today and picking up Monday, hopefully. It is shifting a little bit rougher, especially when in manual mode. Iím assuming itís because of the leak but weíll see. Kinda nervous but just glad itís covered by warranty. Hope itís nothing serious.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (07-18-2019)