follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #15
iJeff

Drives: 2016 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWfan View Post

Which HIDs did you use, and what colour temperature + wattage are they?
iJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:10 PM   #16
RWfan

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJeff View Post
Which HIDs did you use, and what colour temperature + wattage are they?
its almost identical...

35w 5k bulb / 35w HID ballast

cheers
RWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
Fang

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
its almost identical...

35w 5k bulb / 35w HID ballast

cheers
RWFan, seriously i was getting so frustrated that the mod didn't work, thanks for posting this! just fixed it this weekend
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fang For This Useful Post:
illmatic_frs (02-07-2016)
Old 06-24-2015, 02:36 AM   #18
RWfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
RWFan, seriously i was getting so frustrated that the mod didn't work, thanks for posting this! just fixed it this weekend
trust me when i say this, i was literally pulling my hair from frustration before figuring this out. glad i could help
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWfan For This Useful Post:
FRStevan (01-26-2018), illmatic_frs (02-07-2016)
Old 06-24-2015, 02:58 AM   #19
RWfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.earles View Post
I would like to sincerely thank RWfan for this howto. Earlier today I got my lights to work as expected and I could not be happier.

Thanks again RWfan!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.earles View Post
I would like to sincerely thank RWfan for this howto. Earlier today I got my lights to work as expected and I could not be happier.

Thanks again RWfan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
thanks so much for posting this! I bought the same kit on ebay thinking it was the ft86 kit. the seller is terrible as far as customer service and selling a kit that doesn't work 100%? thankfully i have hope now, i just ordered fogs so i'll hopefuly fix my winjets while i'm installing my fogs. thanks guys!
Quote:
this DIY is for this product.
here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCION-FR-S-W...-/191335866653

Attachment 107984

i thought i was getting the FT86 product for a third of the price but after watching their video, that's when i realized that i did not...

...ill spare you the details on how i got it working and just show the results.

OK, this product came with an installation guide. STEP 1, STEP 2 and STEP 3. i need you to put a pause on this for now. we will incorporate both guides(eBay & FT86) to complete this install.

Attachment 107989

the main difference between these two products is that the FT86 model came with an extra pin and the eBay item did not. you are going to need those missing pins so lets start.

what you need to do is to pay close attention of this segment(0:09 - 0:23) of the video from FT86. this will show you how to take the pin out of the harness.

you need to get your stock(OEM) headlights and look for the harness that is similar to the Winjet harness as shown on the video. you are going to unpin two of these wires. the picture below is the harness that came from the stock headlights.

Attachment 107985

make the cut at least giving you four inches of slack from the pin to give you extra room to work with. this was painful for me to do but essential unless you can get a hold of these pins somewhere else.

Attachment 107986

you will notice that there's a brown rubber grommet on the pin that came from your stock headlights. do not worry about this for it will just slide back out when your about to install it. you'll know what i'm talking about after watching the video again.

Attachment 107987

you are now going to splice one of the wires where you made the cut on the end of the white wire to the eBay harness using the red wire tap provided as illustrated below or you can do the cleaner look...ie.solder & heat shrink.

Attachment 107988

repeat process on the other harness...

time for the install.

looking back on the FT86 video, do exactly what the video is showing from start up to 0:57. the provided pin is the pin we took from the stock headlight.

looking back at the installation guide that came with the harness from eBay. follow STEP 1 & STEP 2. do not and i repeat DO NOT follow STEP 3.

start the engine and give it a test before tucking everything in place.

CONGRATULATIONS, you have now finished the install.

Attachment 107990

Hey guys @fteightysix is using a similar

Attachment 107991

i wanna say thanks for the video #fteightysix has provided us.
this could not have been possible for me to accomplish.
@fteightysix is using a similiar mod now, and I spoke to Thomas who did a wonderful job explaining it and couldn't find any issues installing it on lights he had there. You can follow the given instructions on the paper that comes, using pins or what they use, just make sure all the butt connections are properly done and don't forget to switch the red and black wires that go to the connector that connects to the car. Step 3 should work fine if the aforementioned step is followed.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (11-20-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #21
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Ok guys - We did a little more digging into this new mod - And want to thank @RWfan for what he showed you guys already.

Let me first explain why we do not offer the mod with the pin or make them available with winjetd pre- installed -

The main reason was 1. availability of the pins and 2. The time to do the Mod - It took us too long and too much time to unbox the lights solder up the mod and rebox the mod and get it shipped back out - That might sound simple but it was taking away from our customer service and shipping your orders fast -

By offering the DRL Mod like this and us not building every one ourself we can ship orders faster and drop ship from Winjet if we are in between stock orders Plus it is cheaper cost for you and projects with Friends are fun.

The catch and why we always switched the pins around is that Winjet actually has the colors of to of the wires different vs what the out puts are on the factory wires - no this really does not matter in most cases since a LED or a bulb only needs a 12 Volt and a ground and polarity does not matter

The Pin was also added to an additional spot on the plug to get power from the running light to keep the DRL on during headlight operation

Here is the video for the correct instructions

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AN2bjUhMOE"]WINJET DRL MOD V2 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks
Malen
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86SPEED For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-09-2015), Nitro22 (12-12-2015)
Old 02-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #22
pleong

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fteightysix View Post
Ok guys - We did a little more digging into this new mod - And want to thank @RWfan for what he showed you guys already.

Let me first explain why we do not offer the mod with the pin or make them available with winjetd pre- installed -

The main reason was 1. availability of the pins and 2. The time to do the Mod - It took us too long and too much time to unbox the lights solder up the mod and rebox the mod and get it shipped back out - That might sound simple but it was taking away from our customer service and shipping your orders fast -

By offering the DRL Mod like this and us not building every one ourself we can ship orders faster and drop ship from Winjet if we are in between stock orders Plus it is cheaper cost for you and projects with Friends are fun.

The catch and why we always switched the pins around is that Winjet actually has the colors of to of the wires different vs what the out puts are on the factory wires - no this really does not matter in most cases since a LED or a bulb only needs a 12 Volt and a ground and polarity does not matter

The Pin was also added to an additional spot on the plug to get power from the running light to keep the DRL on during headlight operation

Thanks
Malen
Would you happen to know how I can do this same mod, but with switchbacks to use as turn signals?

TEAM NEMESIS | NEM 86 | IG: @NEM_86
PTE5858 Turbo | Integrated Engineering Fuel Surge Tank | 1300cc Injectors | Exedy Twin Disc | RAYS Volk ZE40 | 295/30/18 | 522whp @ 6,600 Dyno Dynamics
The NEM86 Build Thread
pleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #23
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Pretty interesting OP, I actually want the issue you had if I bought winjets. I ONLY want the DRL strip to be on while the low-beams are.

I generally can't stand having DRLs on all the time which is why I disabled the stock ones almost immediately.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:59 AM   #24
illmatic_frs

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@fteightysix in the new video what kind of diode is required? Looks like there are two of them

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
illmatic_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #25
FRSToyota86

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
I did everything as you show in the v2 diy vid, however only the low beams work on both sides, highbeam and drl won't turn on at all. I have checked continuiti no problems in the solders. I tested the circuit and the drl works fine.

All I can say is its so wierd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86SPEED View Post

Thanks
Malen
Vortech V3 Supercharger| 12 PSI|E85 MotoEast Flexfuel kit|Crawford AOS| Mishimoto Oil Cooler|3"Perrin Resonated CBE| 3" JDL Front/Over Pipe|OpenFlash Performance Headers|Exedy Stage 2 Ceramic Clutch |Yonaka Coilovers|17x9 O.Z. Wheels| 245/40r/17|TRD Brake Pads|Perrin Master Cylinder Brace |ChaseBay SSBrake Lines|CF Side Fins|OEM Shark Fin Athena|Yospeed Console Plaque|R/T Shift Knob|Fog Lights|Backup Camera|Navigation| |TRD Quickshifter|Motul Gear Oil|

Last edited by FRSToyota86; 03-10-2017 at 12:52 AM.
FRSToyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #26
adamskilla

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86SPEED View Post

Thanks
Malen
@86SPEED
The instructions I got from your site do not indicate anywhere to cut the black wire and marry it with the red wire from the mod kit. So I wired everything exactly like the instructions say to (red to red). By doing it this way my DRL strips only turn on with the lowbeams. SO, do you think that just re pinning the black and red on the connector will alleviate this issue?

I'm not an electrical genius so maybe I'm missing something. Just kind of frustrating since I don't feel like taking the lights out again and changing all the wiring at this point. If it's just swapping pins from the connectors I should be able to do so without taking the lights out.

Also, it's 2018... Why were the instructions not changed to reflect this yet?

Should also note that I have installed the Morimoto 5500k HID as well.

Thanks,
Adam
adamskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #27
adamskilla

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
this DIY is for this product.
here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCION-FR-S-W...-/191335866653

Attachment 107984

i thought i was getting the FT86 product for a third of the price but after watching their video, that's when i realized that i did not...

...ill spare you the details on how i got it working and just show the results.

OK, this product came with an installation guide. STEP 1, STEP 2 and STEP 3. i need you to put a pause on this for now. we will incorporate both guides(eBay & FT86) to complete this install.

Attachment 107989

the main difference between these two products is that the FT86 model came with an extra pin and the eBay item did not. you are going to need those missing pins so lets start.

what you need to do is to pay close attention of this segment(0:09 - 0:23) of the video from FT86. this will show you how to take the pin out of the harness.

you need to get your stock(OEM) headlights and look for the harness that is similar to the Winjet harness as shown on the video. you are going to unpin two of these wires. the picture below is the harness that came from the stock headlights.

Attachment 107985

make the cut at least giving you four inches of slack from the pin to give you extra room to work with. this was painful for me to do but essential unless you can get a hold of these pins somewhere else.

Attachment 107986

you will notice that there's a brown rubber grommet on the pin that came from your stock headlights. do not worry about this for it will just slide back out when your about to install it. you'll know what i'm talking about after watching the video again.

Attachment 107987

you are now going to splice one of the wires where you made the cut on the end of the white wire to the eBay harness using the red wire tap provided as illustrated below or you can do the cleaner look...ie.solder & heat shrink.

Attachment 107988

repeat process on the other harness...

time for the install.

looking back on the FT86 video, do exactly what the video is showing from start up to 0:57. the provided pin is the pin we took from the stock headlight.

looking back at the installation guide that came with the harness from eBay. follow STEP 1 & STEP 2. do not and i repeat DO NOT follow STEP 3.

start the engine and give it a test before tucking everything in place.

CONGRATULATIONS, you have now finished the install.

Attachment 107990

Attachment 107991

i wanna say thanks for the video #fteightysix has provided us.
this could not have been possible for me to accomplish.
@RWfan
I got my mod kit directly from ft86, it did not come with a pin connector.
adamskilla is offline   Reply With Quote