follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #29
frs_mikey

Drives: White 13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
4/10/2019 | Engine go boom?

Previously, the CEL was only being caused by P000D. Now, is P000B is showing up as well. I haven't been able to take the car back to the dealership because every chance I have to take it in, the light turns off

Based on the work they did last time, I want to say that one of the cam actuators was bad and caused something in the engine on that side to break. So when they swapped the L+R to the opposite side, the actuator slowly broke the same thing internally, on the other side... possibly... But I also think it might just be some kind of oil blockage/contamination in that area or timing issue since the light goes away at times.
frs_mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #30
frs_mikey

Drives: White 13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
7/30/2019 | Goodbye... 86 (FRS)

This is a bit late, but ever since I started getting check engine lights, the thought of getting a new car was always in the back of my mind. After the sixth or so trip to the dealership in ~5 months with no clear progress on fixing my problems, I decided that it was time to move on to a new car.
This being my first car, I've always said I wouldn't trade the car for any other. None of the newer cars these days did what the FRS/86/BRZ could do for me in this price range. And while I may be a part of the younger generation, I grew an genuine appreciation for manual cars and the lightweight, bare bones "no frills" aspect of the car. I learned how to drive stick and honestly how to drive on the street & on track in this car. (even though it was only 2 events :P)

One of my only regrets with this car is that I didn't drive it enough. In my 4.5 years of ownership I put on a grand total of 20k miles on the odometer myself. I only went to 2 track events and did 1 mountain/canyon run with friends. With my next car, I hope to do a lot more since I am a bit older and more experienced at time of acquisition than I was with my FRS.

So what did I end up going with?
Well I sort of disliked the boxer motor in NA form & the noises it makes, but I loved the way the car handled with the low CoG because of it. I'm more a fan of the sounds traditional inline or V motors make.
With that being said, there were only 2 cars that came to mind that would tickle my fancy the same way my FRS did within my price range: a Miata or a S2000.

The new Miata was a bit out of my price range, was hard to find used, and a bit lacking in aftermarket support compared to the 86 chassis. That lead me to looking into the S2K chassis. The S2K was EXACTLY what I was looking for in terms of "upgrading" from an FRS: a good handling, well balanced car that is compact & lightweight with a massive amount of aftermarket support, just like the FRS. Not to mention how track ready it is stock (fully adjustable suspension, stock ).

I really did have a good run with the FRS though. I never got to experience a well setup FRS with coils and a header, but I had the aesthetics set up exactly how I wanted it to be, even though it was super basic. I'll be sure to do the S2K right with only the best parts!

Pics are from 7/19: bringing the car home and some last pics with the FRS before I stripped it to be sold back to the carmax it came from back in 2015 .

frs_mikey is offline   Reply With Quote