follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #57
yormaX
Rage your Dream

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reading all these comments is pure lulz. I thought the community was better than this.... Anyways
Old 10-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #58
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
i dont see how being branded by scion or anything else for that matter will really make a difference, more of just the people you encounter are just losers that want to prove their manhood or something. more like because you drive a sports car that u get that attention.
Scion as a brand caters to kids, I'm not singling out young people here i just mean the attitude of children. The TC and xB are nothing more than over stylized people movers, with the soul of a vacuum cleaner. But they are eye catching, I'll give them that. the TC is not ugly but its hardly "sporty" and the xB...well I guess some people would have to like it...but I would rather walk than to be caught driving one (unless i was being paid to crash it and then light it on fire).

The FR-S is so much more than any Scion ever made. It caters to a more adult crowd, sure kids will buy it because its relatively cheap and because its branded as a Scion, but those of us with experience driving cars like the old Celicas, Supras, RX-7s, 240-300ZXs, etc. it brings back a certain awe of the purity of the car. Theres no fluff on this car, its an enthusiast car, it may just be the best car Japan has created in decades and Toyota in a fit of gross decision making brands it as a Scion which is basically the bargain bin of Toyota engineering...

Sorry for the rant but thats what i feel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supermassive For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (10-12-2012), Tim_Asphalt_FRS (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #59
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsed View Post
same, payed 24515 for mine. Dealership where I bought mine currently has a Release Version 8 for sale for over 25k lulz. They are selling regular TC's for about 23k as well. My FR-S had been sitting on the lot for almost a month as well as noone wants them here for whatever reason. They have a whiteout there as well that has been there for almost 4 months.
I think its because you live in Colorado. Your car is way slower than it would be in Georgia. The 0-60 time of a manual FRS in Co is around 11 seconds flat vs about 6.5 in Ga.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #60
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If I bought a TC a year or two prior to the FRS's release. I'd be bitter too... assuming I didn't know the FRS was getting released.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #61
rainmonkey

Drives: BRZ - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
The FR-S is so much more than any Scion ever made. It caters to a more adult crowd, sure kids will buy it because its relatively cheap and because its branded as a Scion, but those of us with experience driving cars like the old Celicas, Supras, RX-7s, 240-300ZXs, etc. it brings back a certain awe of the purity of the car. Theres no fluff on this car, its an enthusiast car, it may just be the best car Japan has created in decades and Toyota in a fit of gross decision making brands it as a Scion which is basically the bargain bin of Toyota engineering...

Sorry for the rant but thats what i feel.
I seriously doubt that it necessarily 'caters to a more adult crowd'. In fact I think more 'kids' will be inclined to buy it because it looks sporty/unusual/sleek/exotic - and it's cheap. In fact I'd argue that branding it as a Scion can be considered a deterrent when it comes to picking a car in some cases.

Your remark about people who've driven Celicas, Supras, RX-7's etc... comes across as conceited - as if to say the those who've driven the aforementioned vehicles or other purist cars are more deserving of driving an fr-s/brz compared to those who haven't.

I don't really want to pick a fight, but I also don't want an elitist culture to form. If I have mispoken, then you have my apologies.
The Following User Says Thank You to rainmonkey For This Useful Post:
SkullWorks (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #62
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
you seem like a perfect example of your own stereo type...

As far as Rado's car goes...last time I strapped it down to the Dyno, it looked Just like a TC underneath (since it is a production chassis that has been modified, and not really all that heavily to be honest....)

It has a factory block and head...im not sure what else you could ask of the guy...
I'm not following... how am I an example of my own stereotype? Last time I checked I was driving a mid-engine, RWD sports car that I built myself for less than the cost of a new Yaris.

Perhaps I should have used a better example... the GT300 BRZ rather than the NASCAR Camry.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #63
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
If I bought a TC a year or two prior to the FRS's release. I'd be bitter too... assuming I didn't know the FRS was getting released.
I bought a tc a few months before the frs release.
I was never bitter though, I just traded up for an frs.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #64
denverizzles

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yeah maybe it is just the drivers. For those who are familiar with Schaumburg which is a suburb of Chicago, there are a lot of douchebags with a chip on their shoulder. So it could just be a product of the environment in which I live. It's just frustrating when you're trying to enjoy your daily drive (I have a VERY short commute) and someone ruins it by doing the sterotypical ricer move. eh...i'll get over it, but it more just venting.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #65
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
ive had nothing but bad personal experiences with tC owners. there was a tC in miami that had EVO killer decaled to his car but would never race.

a lot of them just cant back up their talk.

but as with everything, i cant say theyre all like that.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #66
Supermassive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmonkey View Post
I seriously doubt that it necessarily 'caters to a more adult crowd'. In fact I think more 'kids' will be inclined to buy it because it looks sporty/unusual/sleek/exotic - and it's cheap. In fact I'd argue that branding it as a Scion can be considered a deterrent when it comes to picking a car in some cases.

Your remark about people who've driven Celicas, Supras, RX-7's etc... comes across as conceited - as if to say the those who've driven the aforementioned vehicles or other purist cars are more deserving of driving an fr-s/brz compared to those who haven't.

I don't really want to pick a fight, but I also don't want an elitist culture to form. If I have mispoken, then you have my apologies.
Ok I dont think theres a type of person deservimg of driving any car, but to say the typical Scion customer would have the same type of appreciation for just how special the Frs is as someone who has been in the import scene since before it was mainstream is hard to swallow. I've literally been waiting for a serious RWD platform to come from Japan since the demise of the Supra (I owned an '86 NA DOHC and a 98 TT). The FR-S is not 100% what I wanted out of the box its damn close and I bought one knowing what it was under the Scion badge.

Sorry if I sound elitist, Im really not, Im just not a fan of the Scion subculture is all.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #67
Splat

Drives: FR-S ultramarine
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 View Post
thats one of the reason i hate to be branded as a scion
I find that funny, since I like the scion brand disengaged from the Toyota brand. With all the public recalls screaming Toyota recall.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #68
Turbowned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Ok I dont think theres a type of person deservimg of driving any car, but to say the typical Scion customer would have the same type of appreciation for just how special the Frs is as someone who has been in the import scene since before it was mainstream is hard to swallow. I've literally been waiting for a serious RWD platform to come from Japan since the demise of the Supra (I owned an '86 NA DOHC and a 98 TT). The FR-S is not 100% what I wanted out of the box its damn close and I bought one knowing what it was under the Scion badge.

Sorry if I sound elitist, Im really not, Im just not a fan of the Scion subculture is all.
I agree, guilty-as-charged. Toyota had some cool cars in the 60's and 70's, then really pushed the envelope in the 80's with the MR2, MKII and MKIII Supra, AE86 Corolla and Celica All-Trac, then Toyota's golden age was the 90's with the brutal MKIV Supra Turbo, ultra-sexy MKII MR2 and rally-bred Celica All-Trac, then in the early 2000's we had the so-so MR2 Spyder and Celica... 7 years of nothing and...! Toyota's new sports car is a Scion. Wasn't too happy about that.

Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #69
Turbowned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I find that funny, since I like the scion brand disengaged from the Toyota brand. With all the public recalls screaming Toyota recall.
What, you mean the idiotic "unintended acceleration" witch hunt? Gimme a break... Put two sets of floor mats in your car, watch your accelerator pedal get stuck underneath them, forget how to shift your car into neutral and cry foul, blaming anyone but yourself. That's what that load of B.S. was.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Crzbiohazard (01-13-2013), Demandred7 (10-21-2012), Tim_Asphalt_FRS (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #70
Supermassive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
The really funny thing is that the FR-S is a Toyota everywhere but here. Even funnier than that is its built by Subaru. What could be funnier than that?

Somehow Toyota decided this is the family the FR-S belongs to...

Instead of this...

P.S. Look at the window shapes on the FR-S and the 2000GT...inspiration much?

Closed Thread