follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 06-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #3375
ChrisV

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
Your want to believe is definitely strong

I am arranging to get my hands on a set to tear apart to see where the physical discrepancy is.
Great, until you have something that disputes the measurements taken by two separate people on two different sets of equipment, not to mention direct confirmation by the manufacturer that their bodies are OEM replicas, please stop acting and saying that you know anything for certain.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #3376
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Great, until you have something that disputes the measurements taken by two separate people on two different sets of equipment, not to mention direct confirmation by the manufacturer that their bodies are OEM replicas, please stop acting and saying that you know anything for certain.
Right, right...."no talk of the world is round", huh?
Shall I take evolutionism off the table as well?
How about I lock in the my television to FOX News, while we are at it?
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #3377
ChrisV

Quote:
Whatever man, you want to be some internet smart guy against people who've actually held these parts in their hands, go for it. If it makes you feel special, and you need that in your life, god bless and I'm sorry.

Can you stop crapping up the thread now?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #3378
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Put up the money for a protest at a National Solo event and let the protest committee decide. It will be like a SCOTUS ruling.

Camber envy is a bitch...
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #3379
itzmik3
DBC Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
well that was fun to read through lol

but in all honestly @ChrisV you telling @simpleisbest to "stop acting and saying that you know anything for certain" goes both ways. unless you are a rep for koni or the engineer who was in charge of the design for the koni full replacements, then by all means go ahead and preach that the koni is an exact 1 for 1 OEM replacement.

however in the end, it doesn't matter if the variances are off by 1mm or even 1 micron since now you are getting a competitive advantage.

in my eyes you guys both don't know so you guys are both entitled to your opinions

just my 2 cents.
#194 SM
itzmik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #3380
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
Put up the money for a protest at a National Solo event and let the protest committee decide. It will be like a SCOTUS ruling.

Camber envy is a bitch...
I would prefer to make the data public first before Nats.

While I am not afraid of forking up the cash for any justified protest, just doing it to prove a point and waste other peoples trip out there is not my thing.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #3381
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
simpleisbest isn't thread crapping, he is asking a reasonable question.

If the Konis full replacements are based on exact OEM specifications, then they should provide the same amount of camber as the OEM part. If the amount of camber does differ from the OEM strut, then something is different about the Konis which raises questions about their legality.

As it stands, it is premature to call them illegal and I don't expect a protest to hold up without some type of proof that they differ from OEM specs. He said he is going to acquire a strut and test it himself and I'm looking forward to what he finds out. It would be beneficial to the community to understand what parts are legal and what are not.
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jawnathin For This Useful Post:
itzmik3 (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #3382
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I would prefer to make the data public first before Nats.

While I am not afraid of forking up the cash for any justified protest, just doing it to prove a point and waste other peoples trip out there is not my thing.
Waiting till Nationals would not be fair to a lot of people. But address it with a protest at a tour or pro is what you need to do if you want to lay it to rest.. I know of another protest with another stock car and camber allowances that will be handled that way for clarification. Speculation clarifies nothing. But it is just a suggestion...

And I am getting almost -2 with stock struts and 2 legal camber bolts. There are manufacturers tolerances and build tolerances in each vehicle ( as well as different manufacturers of the stock parts that may have slight tolerance differences but within manufacturers specs that are legal since they come on the car.
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #3383
ChrisV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
simpleisbest isn't thread crapping, he is asking a reasonable question.

If the Konis full replacements are based on exact OEM specifications, then they should provide the same amount of camber as the OEM part. If the amount of camber does differ from the OEM strut, then something is different about the Konis which raises questions about their legality.

As it stands, it is premature to call them illegal and I don't expect a protest to hold up without some type of proof that they differ from OEM specs. He said he is going to acquire a strut and test it himself and I'm looking forward to what he finds out. It would be beneficial to the community to understand what parts are legal and what are not.
I'm not a Koni engineer, but I went right to the NA Motorsports Manager for Koni to ask because I wanted to be legal. He certainly wants any proof of information on variances.

Then KS Cone Killer posted his measurements.

Then I got mine and measured them and they were identical to OEM.

So yes, he is threadcrapping. The preponderance of evidence is that the yellows are dimensionally identical to OEM. The circumstantial evidence doesn't override the hard data.

If someone knows something concrete, I want to know before I drive from NJ to Lincoln, but based on my calipers, other people's measurements, and a conversation with the guy at Koni that personally bought the OEM struts that's they replicated to build the yellows, I'm comfortable.

Conjecture and speculation contradictory to evidence is not compelling. It's crapping.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #3384
itzmik3
DBC Racing

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
Waiting till Nationals would not be fair to a lot of people. But address it with a protest at a tour or pro is what you need to do if you want to lay it to rest.. I know of another protest with another stock car and camber allowances that will be handled that way for clarification. Speculation clarifies nothing. But it is just a suggestion...
The next tour or pro that a protest could be administered would be at Nationals for us west coast guys (no we aren't driving all the way to Packwood lol).

I am just waiting to see once we see a side by side comparison with parts in their hands so this can finally be put to rest.
#194 SM
Old 06-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #3385
ChrisV

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzmik3 View Post
well that was fun to read through lol

but in all honestly @ChrisV you telling @simpleisbest to "stop acting and saying that you know anything for certain" goes both ways. unless you are a rep for koni or the engineer who was in charge of the design for the koni full replacements, then by all means go ahead and preach that the koni is an exact 1 for 1 OEM replacement.

however in the end, it doesn't matter if the variances are off by 1mm or even 1 micron since now you are getting a competitive advantage.

in my eyes you guys both don't know so you guys are both entitled to your opinions

just my 2 cents.
I meant to multi quote this in the prior post. The difference between me and simpleisbest is that I'm operating on facts and he's operating on conjecture. Mine is not an opinion, but rather a data driven conclusion. Unless and until there is data that overrules it, it will stand.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #3386
Laloosh

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I for one am highly against protesting such things and am all for people finding out the correct info prior to some ass hole ruining your event.
2014 BRZ C-Street #11 245/40/17 RE71R's, Camber Bolts, Koni Shocks, Perrin 19m Bar, 5mm Spacer/Longer Studs, Berk Track Pipe, KNN Drop In, Fancy alignment
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #3387
itzmik3
DBC Racing

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
I'm not a Koni engineer, but I went right to the NA Motorsports Manager for Koni to ask because I wanted to be legal. He certainly wants any proof of information on variances.

Then KS Cone Killer posted his measurements.

Then I got mine and measured them and they were identical to OEM.

So yes, he is threadcrapping. The preponderance of evidence is that the yellows are dimensionally identical to OEM. The circumstantial evidence doesn't override the hard data.

If someone knows something concrete, I want to know before I drive from NJ to Lincoln, but based on my calipers, other people's measurements, and a conversation with the guy at Koni that personally bought the OEM struts that's they replicated to build the yellows, I'm comfortable.

Conjecture and speculation contradictory to evidence is not compelling. It's crapping.

okay then I want to hear from you how your Koni's have magically .2-.4 more negative camber compared to everyone else?

and yes I have raced in a CS FRS previously so I am quite familiar with the amount of camber is obtainable in "stock" form.

**side note this is why I race in SM**
#194 SM
Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #3388
ChrisV

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzmik3 View Post
okay then I want to hear from you how your Koni's have magically .2-.4 more negative camber compared to everyone else?

**side note this is why I race in SM**
I don't know. They're dimensionally identical. That's all I need. The burden of proof is in anyone who says they're illegal.

I've done the leg work. I'm compliant with the rules.