follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
subatoy

Drives: subatoy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poudre View Post
Will there be a TRD supercharger?
after their sucky TC SC i doubt it.
subatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
I would pay a premium price for a supercharger kit that maintains precise throttle response and other desirable N/A characterstics... and I'm a cheap bastard
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2100 View Post
I would pay a premium price for a supercharger kit that maintains precise throttle response and other desirable N/A characterstics... and I'm a cheap bastard
this why I am holding out till sema to see what vortech brings to the table; generally their stuff has more refinement, a 36,000 warranty etc; if its not the right kit for you, or the right price, theres always a 'shop made next to tranny turbo'...
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I think we all need to e-mail Kraftwerks and ask them to make a Rotrex-based SC kit for this car. Their Miata and Honda kits look top notch and are reasonably-priced, too! I just shot them an e-mail, myself.

http://kraftwerksusa.com/

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.

Last edited by Turbowned; 09-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #19
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I think we all need to e-mail Kraftwerks and ask them to make a Rotrex-based SC kit for this car. Their Miata and Honda kits look top notch and are reasonably-priced, too! I just shot them an e-mail, myself.

http://kraftwerksusa.com/

They are making a kit.

I emailed them a while back.

I am hoping to help out testing, when the time comes
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uspspro For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (09-16-2012), Turbowned (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Excellent, yes they told me so as well. They weren't allowed to release any other info, understandably. Just a "yes"!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #21
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Kraftwerks kits come in around $6k. In fact $6 is kind of that sweet spot for a kit and I suspect most of them will be there.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
i highly doubt we will ever see a complete kit with a eaton TVS or Twin screw so it looks like centrifugal is the only way to go right now. and if you want a centrifugal, then kraftwerks is the one you want. why? rotrex. there is a ton of anticipation on the vortech kit but lets be honest here, rotrex kills vortech in terms of impeller speed. the HKS kit uses rotrex as well but nobody with half a brain will pay JDM prices once the kraftwerks kit comes out...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
In the grand scheme of things, is a high impeller speed more important than efficiency or reliability? Spinning a compressor at a higher impeller speed to produce a lower cfm flow at a lower efficiency point of operation does not sound like an advantageous way to approach things from our perspective. Besides, what does the impeller speed maximum matter if the compressor you have will flow more cfm and make more boost than most people could possibly ever want/need for a particular application?

There is no question that there is a smaller, more compact unit that can be spun to a higher rpm out there...but none of things make it operate better or more reliably than a Vortech. The first commercially sold unit we ever produced (Serial #00001) has over 300,000 miles on it, has been used for many magazine torture tests, has been on multiple different engines and combinations including a drag car and a Silver State Challenge car, and is still going strong today. It has never needed any service of any kind for it's entire 22+ years of existence. That kind of reliability is practically unheard of from anyone other than Vortech.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
gmookher (10-10-2012), IllusiveFRS (04-29-2013), sofrsnsokleen (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #24
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
In the grand scheme of things, is a high impeller speed more important than efficiency or reliability? Spinning a compressor at a higher impeller speed to produce a lower cfm flow at a lower efficiency point of operation does not sound like an advantageous way to approach things from our perspective. Besides, what does the impeller speed maximum matter if the compressor you have will flow more cfm and make more boost than most people could possibly ever want/need for a particular application?

There is no question that there is a smaller, more compact unit that can be spun to a higher rpm out there...but none of things make it operate better or more reliably than a Vortech. The first commercially sold unit we ever produced (Serial #00001) has over 300,000 miles on it, has been used for many magazine torture tests, has been on multiple different engines and combinations including a drag car and a Silver State Challenge car, and is still going strong today. It has never needed any service of any kind for it's entire 22+ years of existence. That kind of reliability is practically unheard of from anyone other than Vortech.

SOLD!!
Just as soon as I can manage to have enough disposable income for one, lol
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #25
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poudre View Post
Will there be a TRD supercharger?

Apparently Toyota is studying a supercharger option/model with units already installed in test cars. With the high demand and sales of the FR-S and every review saying all the car needs is more power Toyota would be a fool to not offer it. Especially considering they are trying to bring passion and joy back to the line up. Im sure the dealers would love selling it as well.
subatoy (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #26
Tradewind

Drives: 2006 Subaru Liberty EZ30 S/charged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Smile Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
i highly doubt we will ever see a complete kit with a eaton TVS or Twin screw so it looks like centrifugal is the only way to go right now. and if you want a centrifugal, then kraftwerks is the one you want. why? rotrex. there is a ton of anticipation on the vortech kit but lets be honest here, rotrex kills vortech in terms of impeller speed. the HKS kit uses rotrex as well but nobody with half a brain will pay JDM prices once the kraftwerks kit comes out...
You wrote some nonsense on that post bud, its close to 100% rubbish.

There is a twin screw kit being released in like 2-3 weeks time by PMI, refer to the Bullet Supercharger kit in this forum section if you doubt me

Impeller tip speed - the higher the rpm the more likely the unit runs hotter and will have a shorter lifespan. High tip speeds certainly dont give an edge in any other way apart from being able to reduce the size of the compressor and whizz more air through a smaller compress as the inducer speed is higher than a large unit.

Tip speed - more about final pressure in a basic sense, somewhere around 320m/s is around 10psi depending on the unit used, you might as well go a larger diameter impeller and slow the trans down - maybe something like Vortech would do - since this is their thread when all said and done
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
There is a twin screw kit being released in like 2-3 weeks time by PMI, refer to the Bullet Supercharger kit in this forum section if you doubt me
the bullet SC is nothing more than an off the shelf SC bolted to a custom manifold. now this on the other hand requires a lot more work...

i dont expect to see such a kit come out in the near future...

Quote:
Impeller tip speed - the higher the rpm the more likely the unit runs hotter and will have a shorter lifespan. High tip speeds certainly dont give an edge in any other way apart from being able to reduce the size of the compressor and whizz more air through a smaller compress as the inducer speed is higher than a large unit.
isnt it the other way around? because vortech's cant spin very fast, they are forced to use larger compressors?

Quote:
Tip speed - more about final pressure in a basic sense, somewhere around 320m/s is around 10psi depending on the unit used, you might as well go a larger diameter impeller and slow the trans down - maybe something like Vortech would do -
why slow it down if it can handle the speeds? is the large impeller a design choice? or compensating for the lack of impeller speed? because the rotrex design can most likely accommodate a larger compressor spun slower. but the vortech design is rpm limited. is this not the case?

Quote:
since this is their thread when all said and done
this isnt a vortech thread. its a SC thread. also i have no vested interest in what's "better" or not so whatever i say is just my opinion and not a sales pitch. fwiw RUF uses rotrex. Koenigsegg uses rotrex. HKS chose rotrex. not to mention Lotus and TRD too. just sayin...

PS: im not knocking vortech in any way. im sure their upcoming SC is great. its just that rotrex's newer design perhaps has untapped potential and we should wait and see before we jump aboard any bandwagons...

Last edited by madfast; 10-11-2012 at 02:25 PM.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #28
subatoy

Drives: subatoy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Apparently Toyota is studying a supercharger option/model with units already installed in test cars. With the high demand and sales of the FR-S and every review saying all the car needs is more power Toyota would be a fool to not offer it. Especially considering they are trying to bring passion and joy back to the line up. Im sure the dealers would love selling it as well.

As long as it's not the same unreliable crap they put on the TC.
subatoy is offline   Reply With Quote