follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Jokester

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '12 Honda CR-V
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where is your line drawn between the FR-S and BRZ?

Where is the line drawn for you on the FR-S and BRZ?

Is it the subtle difference in style of the FR-S over the BRZ, or vice versa?

Is it the anticipation of a sigficant lower MSRP of the FR-S vs the BRZ?

If the BRZ Limited or Prestige was only lets say $2-3k more in MSRP would you opt for it over the FR-S to get: Push Button Start, HID's, Daytime LEDs, Navigation w/ LCD radio screen, Heated Leather Seats, Telescopic Sterring Wheel, etc... ?

Is it the suspension setup difference that led you to either the FR-S or BRZ that is the deal breaker?

I know for me even though I really want HIDs, Push Button Start, Nav, and to some degree Leather w/ Heated Seats, what really had me leaning towards the FR-S over the BRZ is the FR-S frontend and it's suspension setup. I always prefer oversteer to understeer. I like the idea of entering a turn with the utmost confidence and advantage and allowing me to determnie the best way to exit, rather than entering with less confidence but knowing that when I exit the vehicle will be okay.

But I am interested to know how people decided on a FR-S over a BRZ or vice versa?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
delongedoug
Banned

Drives: 2.5 RS daily, Evo 8 track
I know you just joined, but everything has been beaten to death already.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokester View Post

...what really had me leaning towards the FR-S over the BRZ is the FR-S frontend and it's suspension setup. I always prefer oversteer to understeer. I like the idea of entering a turn with the utmost confidence and advantage and allowing me to determnie the best way to exit, rather than entering with less confidence but knowing that when I exit the vehicle will be okay.

But I am interested to know how people decided on a FR-S over a BRZ or vice versa?
you confuse me. "Rather than entering with less confidence but knowing that when I exit the vehicle will be okay." That's a complete oxymoron- if you know you will be okay when you exit, that's called confidence...

in fact, the BRZ's handling characteristics are probably BETTER for autocross/overall handling, since the reviewers are saying you can get it to oversteer if you want, but it's a little more neutral, whereas the FR-S is more oversteer prone. The more neutral overall, the faster you will be through a corner, and more confident it will feel because you will have complete control over understeer/oversteer with wheel position and throttle position.

So, maybe you like the FR-S more because it's more prone to oversteer- but that doesn't give you more confidence in the handling ability of the car. quite the opposite. Understeer is much easier to control and gives much more confidence.
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Interior....interior....interior....
BRZ.......BRZ.....BRZ.....

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I personally feel the BRZ has a little more mature look to it and will be a little more unique to see on the road. I also think Subaru hit it right on the nose for the features I want. The only thing missing from the Limited is remote start which I'm hoping will be a dealer option.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Jokester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
you confuse me. "Rather than entering with less confidence but knowing that when I exit the vehicle will be okay." That's a complete oxymoron- if you know you will be okay when you exit, that's called confidence...

in fact, the BRZ's handling characteristics are probably BETTER for autocross/overall handling, since the reviewers are saying you can get it to oversteer if you want, but it's a little more neutral, whereas the FR-S is more oversteer prone. The more neutral overall, the faster you will be through a corner, and more confident it will feel because you will have complete control over understeer/oversteer with wheel position and throttle position.

So, maybe you like the FR-S more because it's more prone to oversteer- but that doesn't give you more confidence in the handling ability of the car. quite the opposite. Understeer is much easier to control and gives much more confidence.
I have found that alot of vehicles depending on weight distribution and driver tendencies that understeer can be more of a challenge when entering a corner but once you are comnig out of one the car stays planted. I know Porsche 911s are prone to understeer, but the tendencies will be different since the vehicle carries most of the weight in the back of the vehicle. I just always prefered oversteer because I feel oversteer leaves the driver with more control which I like whereas the car has things under control with understeer. Perhaps I worded what I said incorrectly, but I just prefer oversteer, not that understeer is bad I am just not used to it. I'm sure both cars will be awesome. But it is clear why Subaru, which markets their vehicles ot AWD fans, chose their car to have a tendancy to understeer naturally, rather than oversteer, like the Toyota/Scion.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Jokester

Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
I know you just joined, but everything has been beaten to death already.

So than skip over the thread and don't comment! You can save yourself from carpal tunnel syndrome a little bit longer.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
DMDZK

Drives: 2007 Cayman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
Interior....interior....interior....
BRZ.......BRZ.....BRZ.....
Pretty much the same though process for me. I like the BRZ exterior a little more but the amenities of the limited have won me over. If the Limited comes in at under 29k OTD (i.e. including TTL + etc) I'm sold.
DMDZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Jokester

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
I personally feel the BRZ has a little more mature look to it and will be a little more unique to see on the road. I also think Subaru hit it right on the nose for the features I want. The only thing missing from the Limited is remote start which I'm hoping will be a dealer option.
You seem to know a little bit about the BRZ. What will be the difference between the Limited and Premium BRZ trims?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
DMDZK

Drives: 2007 Cayman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokester View Post
You seem to know a little bit about the BRZ. What will be the difference between the Limited and Premium BRZ trims?
It has been officaly posted on the US site Here just click on "specs".
DMDZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Jokester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDZK View Post
It has been officaly posted on the US site Here just click on "specs".

Thank you. Funny enoguh one of the threads in here listed it the exact opposite which made no sense to me, but thanks for clearing that up!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
-

Last edited by ahausheer; 02-20-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: to mean
ahausheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Hey guys I have a question that would be relatively easy for me to look up but I want you all to do it for me. Thanks
The answer is not available at this time...

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
delongedoug
Banned

Drives: 2.5 RS daily, Evo 8 track
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Hey guys I have a question that would be relatively easy for me to look up but I want you all to do it for me. Thanks
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote