follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ready to buy my first BRZ

Hey everyone, Been drooling over the STi way back when I was in school 8 years ago. Now that i'm financially ready, it was tough call between a used 2015 sti or a gen1 BRZ. The BRZ eventually won given that I dont think I will use any of the STIs advantages here in Manila, Philippines. weather is just dry and hot all year, and we dont have easy access to tracks, plus traffic all day long. So the STI's premium price would only be limited to 1st gear pulls. Better a car you can enjoy everyday than one you can enjoy for only 30 minutes a week they say.

Fast forward to now, I've found one 2013 WR Blue, stock with only 13,000kms for sale.
My only issues are as follows:
Previous owner was a senior citizen and perhaps a smoker. So the interior/exterior wasnt well cared for.
1. on the center console leading to the back, before the leather divider at the far back, the plastic part right behind the cup holders has big scratches possibly from moving around luggage or items. (75 usd replacement...?)
2. the leather on the driver side seat wing near the door has mild rash/rips likely from not carefully getting in and out of the car.. no replacement for this.. expensive! ( common problem with these seats?)
3. the interior feels mildly dull - possible car being left out in the sun - remedied by re-applying some interior care treatment?
4. the exterior paint of course has never been detailed in 4 years - orig paint. but with some dog scratches near the trunk...
5. very faint traces of cigarette smoke which i dislike but can be removed i guess.
6. the front bumper on one side, near the sidemarker, is not perfectly aligned. I read its a common problem with this body once the bumper is removed. (he had the horns changed)

All in all, looks like theyre all cosmetic and fixeable. On the negative side, his age may have led him to not really watch the cosmetic care stuff. the flipside though is that at least this older gentleman did not track or thrash the engine. But theres a lingering doubt at the back of my head that if he didnt care much for the interior and paint, doesnt that mean he may also not have cared much for how it was driven?

Should I just sit down and wait for a more "perfect" unit?

What are your thoughts?
A blue brz in manual thats unmodded only happens like 1 units every 6 months where i live :/
leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
"Great! I can finally buy the car I've longed for! BUT, it does have x wrong with it, y has a little damage, z may have happened, and I'm gonna have to spend money with delta."

Does it still sound like the car you'd want after this long?

It took you this long to be financially ready for it, it'll take you longer to be financially ready for its defects, and trust me, once you know the little things that make your car imperfect for YOU, it will never leave your mind.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
good luck finding a pristine PREOWNED vehicle. they will all have something that will bug you if you let it..
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Don't settle for second best, wait for the right deal to come along.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
What is the service history?
Some people miss oil change intervals and this can cause oil sludge.
Cars that have severe oil sludge need the sump and oil pump removed and cleaned.
If it was thrashed it would have had many tyre changes , so check the wheel rims for scratching from the tyre machines.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
It's like wanting a girlfriend that has no history. Date a virgin. Car? buy a new one.....
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
What is the service history?
Some people miss oil change intervals and this can cause oil sludge.
Cars that have severe oil sludge need the sump and oil pump removed and cleaned.
If it was thrashed it would have had many tyre changes , so check the wheel rims for scratching from the tyre machines.

It has complete dealer service records and the rims are perfect
Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leevanf View Post
Hey everyone, Been drooling over the STi way back when I was in school 8 years ago. Now that i'm financially ready, it was tough call between a used 2015 sti or a gen1 BRZ. The BRZ eventually won given that I dont think I will use any of the STIs advantages here in Manila, Philippines. weather is just dry and hot all year, and we dont have easy access to tracks, plus traffic all day long. So the STI's premium price would only be limited to 1st gear pulls. Better a car you can enjoy everyday than one you can enjoy for only 30 minutes a week they say.

Fast forward to now, I've found one 2013 WR Blue, stock with only 13,000kms for sale.
My only issues are as follows:
Previous owner was a senior citizen and perhaps a smoker. So the interior/exterior wasnt well cared for.
1. on the center console leading to the back, before the leather divider at the far back, the plastic part right behind the cup holders has big scratches possibly from moving around luggage or items. (75 usd replacement...?)
2. the leather on the driver side seat wing near the door has mild rash/rips likely from not carefully getting in and out of the car.. no replacement for this.. expensive! ( common problem with these seats?)
3. the interior feels mildly dull - possible car being left out in the sun - remedied by re-applying some interior care treatment?
4. the exterior paint of course has never been detailed in 4 years - orig paint. but with some dog scratches near the trunk...
5. very faint traces of cigarette smoke which i dislike but can be removed i guess.
6. the front bumper on one side, near the sidemarker, is not perfectly aligned. I read its a common problem with this body once the bumper is removed. (he had the horns changed)

All in all, looks like theyre all cosmetic and fixeable. On the negative side, his age may have led him to not really watch the cosmetic care stuff. the flipside though is that at least this older gentleman did not track or thrash the engine. But theres a lingering doubt at the back of my head that if he didnt care much for the interior and paint, doesnt that mean he may also not have cared much for how it was driven?

Should I just sit down and wait for a more "perfect" unit?

What are your thoughts?
A blue brz in manual thats unmodded only happens like 1 units every 6 months where i live :/

What does age have to do with taking care of the car? I find that statement silly. Most of what you described is pretty extensive for a car with 13K miles on it. Mine is pushing 100K and doesn't sound as bad. Of course the situation may not be as serious as you think at this point and after owning the car for a few weeks you wouldn't even notice it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Don't settle for second best, wait for the right deal to come along.
He isn't in California or the PNW where you can't turn around without tripping over one. Could be a long wait for a better deal.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #9
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leevanf View Post
What are your thoughts?

I would be more worried about the car history, service intervals, oil changes, know about any modifications like ECU tuning etc. Can you talk with the owner and make some questions? Most of the current issues sound fixable. Interior can also be cleaned up with a good intensive cleaning.

If this is what you like and everything else is fine, then go for it.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
What does age have to do with taking care of the car? I find that statement silly. Most of what you described is pretty extensive for a car with 13K miles on it. Mine is pushing 100K and doesn't sound as bad. Of course the situation may not be as serious as you think at this point and after owning the car for a few weeks you wouldn't even notice it anymore.

He isn't in California or the PNW where you can't turn around without tripping over one. Could be a long wait for a better deal.
Oh sorry about the age, in greater detail, the previous owner wasnt much of a car guy. I would describe him best as an older gentleman who just wanted to try the car, but of course due to his age, and being inactive, there are certain things he may overlook such as taking pristine condition of the interior and exterior, rubbing the leather seat harshly when he drops himself in the seat, etc. - all of which may have contributed to a not so cosmetically perfect car, but also allowing a barely thrashed engine
The Following User Says Thank You to leevanf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I would be more worried about the car history, service intervals, oil changes, know about any modifications like ECU tuning etc. Can you talk with the owner and make some questions? Most of the current issues sound fixable. Interior can also be cleaned up with a good intensive cleaning.

If this is what you like and everything else is fine, then go for it.
Well, a friend who owns a shop came with me to check the unit. confirmed that it wasnt tuned nor modded. the service records from the dealer are complete too. So its basically a great engine with a poor interior.

I'd gladly buy it if the seller was willing to part with it at a price less the cost to restore certain things, but he isnt.

Perhaps i'd wait another 2 months until another unit pops up, but if not - i may renegotiate this if not sold yet