follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
SoCalArgento

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Engine Mount Impressions/Videos?

I know there's been some threads reviewing various motor mounts like Perrin, Cusco, STi however I haven't been able to find many if any videos on YouTube showing how much of a difference they make.
In this one video showing before and after Perrin mounts seems to show less engine shakiness/movement than another video showing the cusco mounts. I thought everyone raved that the Cusco mounts are way too stiff almost like solid mounts?

Can anyone chime in with their experiences of either or any other mount for that matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalArgento View Post
I know there's been some threads reviewing various motor mounts like Perrin, Cusco, STi however I haven't been able to find many if any videos on YouTube showing how much of a difference they make.
In this one video showing before and after Perrin mounts seems to show less engine shakiness/movement than another video showing the cusco mounts. I thought everyone raved that the Cusco mounts are way too stiff almost like solid mounts?

Can anyone chime in with their experiences of either or any other mount for that matter?

When people usually "rave" about something, it is usually good.

There is stiff in the drivetrain(good) and stiff on your body(bad). Now read all the reviews again and figure out which is which. Most people just get the transmission insert.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
SoCalArgento

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
When people usually "rave" about something, it is usually good.

There is stiff in the drivetrain(good) and stiff on your body(bad). Now read all the reviews again and figure out which is which. Most people just get the transmission insert.

Right as I don't want the entire car shaking panels and bolts loose, however I was under impression that motor mounts were recommended for those of us who are FI?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
wrh3
billswebspace.com

Drives: 2017 Alfa 4C, 2019 Fiat 124 Abarth
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just installed the Perrin mounts last weekend.....these in addition to the Whiteline trans bushing insert. I find little additional vibration above 1k RPMs, a bit more drivetrain noise but nothing that bothers me- I do find the additional feedback and connection desirable. If these are like other poly mounts I have had in other cars they will break in a bit and have even less NVH. The most vibration occurs at warm idle (when idle drops), but it is not bad, definitely not shaking panels/bolts loose Since you are FI with a tune you could have the idle increased and have very little NVH. Car feels more solid, Perrin slots in between STi and Cusco which is the perfect balance for me. If you are really concerned about NVH you could go with the STi mounts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrh3 For This Useful Post:
SoCalArgento (02-20-2017), Tristor (03-25-2019)
Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
SoCalArgento

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
I just installed the Perrin mounts last weekend.....these in addition to the Whiteline trans bushing insert. I find little additional vibration above 1k RPMs, a bit more drivetrain noise but nothing that bothers me- I do find the additional feedback and connection desirable. If these are like other poly mounts I have had in other cars they will break in a bit and have even less NVH. The most vibration occurs at warm idle (when idle drops), but it is not bad, definitely not shaking panels/bolts loose Since you are FI with a tune you could have the idle increased and have very little NVH. Car feels more solid, Perrin slots in between STi and Cusco which is the perfect balance for me. If you are really concerned about NVH you could go with the STi mounts.

Thanks for the input and pic (nice fumoto valve btw). I don't mind NVH at all as long as it doesn't carry detriment to the car and it's parts. My idle is at 950 actually so i suppose that should help lessen NVH in general. I like the Perrin mounts as well but they $100+ compared to STi and Cusco 😓

Old 02-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
wrh3
billswebspace.com

Drives: 2017 Alfa 4C, 2019 Fiat 124 Abarth
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With idle set to 950, you might not even know you had changed the mounts....really these are not bad at all in regards to NVH.
Installation was pretty easy too, drop the steering rack and the drivers side is out in 5 minutes with the motor jacked up, passenger side was easy since I had the overpipe out for an upgrade.
They were about $70 more (Amazon has the Perrin mounts for ~$310) but I liked the design over OE and did not want to get something like the Cusco that they say WILL shake panels/bolts loose.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
My friend has the cusco one. The amount of vibration on that steering wheel is amzing to feel/drive.... but probably bad for daily/long trips.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
SoCalArgento

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
With idle set to 950, you might not even know you had changed the mounts....really these are not bad at all in regards to NVH.
Installation was pretty easy too, drop the steering rack and the drivers side is out in 5 minutes with the motor jacked up, passenger side was easy since I had the overpipe out for an upgrade.
They were about $70 more (Amazon has the Perrin mounts for ~$310) but I liked the design over OE and did not want to get something like the Cusco that they say WILL shake panels/bolts loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
My friend has the cusco one. The amount of vibration on that steering wheel is amzing to feel/drive.... but probably bad for daily/long trips.

I might end up going with the Perrin since the most people are happy with them. I don't mind vibration from Cusco so long as it's not ridiculous and annoying. This isn't my DD so luckily I don't go on long drives often.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #9
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I installed TRD engine and gearbox mount last night, so keeping in mind my experience amounts to two 40min drives with them, here are my impressions:
. Free rev engine movement has reduced by at least 50%
. It has solved the issue I had of my over-pipe hitting the crossmember whilst turning left and accelerating hard
. Taking off from a stop feels sharper
. The wheels are a little easier to spin
. At idle there is now a slight vibration that wasn't there before
. While cruising and accelerating there is no noticeable increase in NVH

Also the TRD engine mounts had heat shields which the stock ones don't come with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
botbs (06-25-2021), Iceman (02-22-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I installed TRD engine and gearbox mount last night, so keeping in mind my experience amounts to two 40min drives with them, here are my impressions:
. Free rev engine movement has reduced by at least 50%
. It has solved the issue I had of my over-pipe hitting the crossmember whilst turning left and accelerating hard
. Taking off from a stop feels sharper
. The wheels are a little easier to spin
. At idle there is now a slight vibration that wasn't there before
. While cruising and accelerating there is no noticeable increase in NVH

Also the TRD engine mounts had heat shields which the stock ones don't come with.
I installed the TRD engine/transmission mounts almost 2 years ago to fix the overpipe hitting the crossmember problem. At stock idle rpm (700 iirc) I did notice vibration from the floorpan which was easily fixed by OFT as the tune has a 50rpm higher idle. Other than that no issues so far.

A bit pricey. One of those things that should have come from the factory.
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akyp For This Useful Post:
botbs (06-25-2021), Turdinator (02-20-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #11
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
I have the Cusco engine mounts along with the transmission insert, rear diff inserts, and subframe inserts (all Whiteline) and it's not bad at all. of course it takes a little getting used to but now I barely even notice it. my rear view mirror shakes at idle sometimes (and my radar detector that's mounted on it) but that's it. no bolts shaken loose so far after over a year. *knocks on wood*
Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
SoCalArgento

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I have the Cusco engine mounts along with the transmission insert, rear diff inserts, and subframe inserts (all Whiteline) and it's not bad at all. of course it takes a little getting used to but now I barely even notice it. my rear view mirror shakes at idle sometimes (and my radar detector that's mounted on it) but that's it. no bolts shaken loose so far after over a year. *knocks on wood*

What made you choose Cusco over Perrin ora y of the others available?
My reasoning was price point but as another member mentioned they reasonably cheaper on some websites.

86speed.com has the Perrin mounts for around $314 shipped with coupon code.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #13
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalArgento View Post
What made you choose Cusco over Perrin ora y of the others available?
My reasoning was price point but as another member mentioned they reasonably cheaper on some websites.

86speed.com has the Perrin mounts for around $314 shipped with coupon code.

Price. Cusco was around $230 when I bought it.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #14
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
How is it on long drive? Considering this or sti mount. I have tbe same bushing setup as you
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote