follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #1387
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://karage.tv/en/the-man-behind-t...-camouflaging/

Old 12-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #1388
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Only 10.9", that's a lot don't you think?

Penis nose

You know how the German's do it.
it really isn't that much of a differences. to put it into perspective, the overall length differences between the 86 and MK4 is less than a subway "foot" long.

i have seen the 5 series spy video a few times. that adds more to my point that we can't judge the coupe prototype until the official unveiling.

in BMW's whole history i believe all of their prototypes and test mule clearly shows the kidney bean grill. it doesnt make sense to show the BMW grill on the roadster and have the mini FT1 nose on the "Z5 coupe". not to mention BMW doesn't use that A pillar or double bubble roof design.

and all of a sudden they decide to strap on a Toyota nose?

Last edited by gymratter; 12-21-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #1389
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
it really isn't that much of a differences. to put it into perspective, the overall length differences between the 86 and MK4 is less than a subway "foot" long.

i have seen the 5 series spy video a few times. that adds more to my point that we can't judge the coupe prototype until the official unveiling.

in BMW's whole history i believe all of their prototypes and test mule clearly shows the kidney bean grill. it doesnt make sense to show the BMW grill on the roadster and have the mini FT1 nose on the "Z5 coupe". not to mention BMW doesn't use that A pillar or double bubble roof design.

and all of a sudden they decide to strap on a Toyota nose?
That is true that it would have the opening for their signature kidney grilles, double bubble roof.

Perhaps, I'm over thinking it but what if the kidney grills are actually there and that big hump is a central ram air engineered to further fool us. I guess I can't fathom this car being anything Supra besides the name.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #1390
gymratter

Quote:
That is true that it would have the opening for their signature kidney grilles, double bubble roof.

Perhaps, I'm over thinking it but what if the kidney grills are actually there and that big hump is a central ram air engineered to further fool us. I guess I can't fathom this car being anything Supra besides the name.
yes, i would say anything is possible at this point. but IMO there are just too many similarities between the prototype in question and the FT1.

i think that is the problem. everyone is expecting this car too be 100% "Supra" if you will. even the design team said other cars influenced this project, the 2000GT and FT-HS are just a few too name.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (12-21-2016), RRnold (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #1391
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
yes, i would say anything is possible at this point. but IMO there are just too many similarities between the prototype in question and the FT1.

i think that is the problem. everyone is expecting this car too be 100% "Supra" if you will. even the design team said other cars influenced this project, the 2000GT and FT-HS are just a few too name.

Why and how is that a problem? Toyota should treat it as 100% Supra and better than the MKIV. I really hope it delivers.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #1392
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Hmmm, never saw that before. I bet that's extremely close to the final look. Has the familial similarity to the twins but executed with a higher BOM. In this picture the rear resembles an Acura CSX but I am confident it will look better in real life. Expect the tails to have some sort of LED light tube design which will revise in the 3rd MY. The face will be less bold than the new Camry. Can't believe I just said that. No hourglass to be seen.

Literature says 943F engine which is a 3L V6 twin turbo from the upcoming Lexus GS. Says 340 PS which is 335 HP, lower than expected of that engine. Looks very plausible.

Perhaps the halo will be a hybrid or depending on price, electric motors on front wheels for 400 hp neighbourhood. Then, an insane 500 hp super halo hybrid version later to keep up with the Joneses. Perhaps by that time they can find a way to build in Kers motors in the BOM.

I'd be very happy with a tunable 3L turbo.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 12-22-2016 at 04:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
RRnold (01-03-2017)
Old 12-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #1393
gymratter

Quote:
Why and how is that a problem? Toyota should treat it as 100% Supra and better than the MKIV. I really hope it delivers.
when i said problem its like people want it to be just like the old Supra and anything that isn't just automatically sucks or fails. for example, "it has to be a 2+2 like w/MK4". the prototype IMO looks like a 2 seater and has some design cues from the 2000GT. it seems people are being negative just for the sake of being negative. all im saying is it looks like it will be influenced by other Toyota sports cars as well and not just the MK4 and we should hold off judgement until the official unveiling in 2050 :p

Last edited by gymratter; 12-23-2016 at 01:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
RRnold (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #1394
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
when i said problem its like people want it to be just like the old Supra and anything that isn't just automatically sucks or fails. for example, "it has to be a 2+2 like w/MK4". the prototype IMO looks like a 2 seater and has some design cues from the 2000GT. it seems people are being negative just for the sake of being negative. all im saying is it looks like it will be influenced by other Toyota sports cars as well and not just the MK4 and we should hold off judgement until the official unveiling in 2050 :p
Well if you really think about, this IS a legendary vehicle with huge shoes to fill.

supra-
a prefix meaning “above, over” ( supraorbital) or “beyond the limits of, outside of” ( supramolecular; suprasegmental).

It has to not only meet but exceed what the MKIV offerred. Anything else would be a complete failure. You can't really cut corners on a car of this level and the bar has been set exceptionally high. I honestly believe Toyota already knows this so I'm still holding off till the offical announcement.

Everything else is irrelevant until then.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #1395
gymratter

Quote:
Well if you really think about, this IS a legendary vehicle with huge shoes to fill.

supra-
a prefix meaning “above, over” ( supraorbital) or “beyond the limits of, outside of” ( supramolecular; suprasegmental).

It has to not only meet but exceed what the MKIV offerred. Anything else would be a complete failure. You can't really cut corners on a car of this level and the bar has been set exceptionally high. I honestly believe Toyota already knows this so I'm still holding off till the official announcement.

Everything else is irrelevant until then.
i agreed, this new car needs to blow the MK4 out of the waters in terms of performance. with that said people should also be open to the idea of change in some areas. reading through SF people are already turning their nose at the idea of a 2 seater, hybrid, and AWD, just a few examples. agreed, who knows whats really in store, lets just wait for official info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
KalbiCool88 (01-03-2017), RRnold (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #1396
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
One thing for sure, Toyota doing a joint project with assembly by Magna Steyr indicates the entry price will be high. Reason I say that is otherwise Toyota would have kept this in house like the previois if they felt they could sell enough units. I am guessing they are expecting relatively low sales volumes. And of course they will sell for high margins like Bimmer does. This will be a halo car that most sizable dealers will want in the showroom, and when they move, people will pay...

...I think I'd like to be one of those people!

Joint projects like this would have been difficult to pull off in the early 90's without internet, email, and the ability to trade files back and forth instantly for colaboration.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #1397
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
i agreed, this new car needs to blow the MK4 out of the waters in terms of performance. with that said people should also be open to the idea of change in some areas. reading through SF people are already turning their nose at the idea of a 2 seater, hybrid, and AWD, just a few examples. agreed, who knows whats really in store, lets just wait for official info.
I too am cringing at those 3 ideas. haha We shall see...
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #1398
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
This Best Car rendering looks pretty good actually.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #1399
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
This Best Car rendering looks pretty good actually.
Looks like a Paseo

Old 01-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #1400
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Man, that rendering looks cheaper than FR-S, and if compared to Paseo is just downright depressing. ><;
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
abraxis (01-18-2017), RRnold (01-06-2017)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose