follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Terrari
non member

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scion FT-S

Major Toyota FT-86 News! Scion FT-S, Subaru AWD, Production Model in SoCal!
We just got word of some breaking news regarding the Toyota FT-86 and Subaru variant. Back in October 2010 we received word the FT-86 would be badged a Scion in the USA. Today, we have further clarification that the car will be officially release as the Scion FT-S, not the FR-S. FT, which stands for "Future Toyota" makes less sense than the previous Trademark filed by Toyota called FR-S. It makes no sense to us either, but were just reporting whats been stated from recent Toyota Executive meetings! If you didn't know, Scion's are sold without rebates, and without Finance options, thus was the major decision to release the FT-S as a Scion. Toyota expects the car to retain upwards of 65% of its residual value after three years, like a Toyota should.

Mark your calendars, as previously reported, the car will debut officially as the Scion FT-S at the next NY Auto Show on April 22nd.

Further reports stated the engine would be a 2.5 liter rather than the current concept 2.0 liter, they expect the FT-S to compete with the current top sports cars in the 20-40k range. Luckily the price is still reported as lower $20k range for the Scion FT-S, and get this the Subaru model could hit upwards of $40k range! Go figure, but AWD Fans, don't retreat just yet, it sounds like an AWD model will hit production for Subaru. This decision was made because Toyota doesn't want the brands competing with each other. It was said the Scion FT-S and Subaru variant are based off a modified WRX chassis, while this sounds possible we still remain sceptic of the news. Previously it was rumored to be based off a Legacy chassis.

Production for the Scion FT-S could start in 4Q 2011, although this depends on the success of the Scion IQ which hits production in May 2011. If the iQ doesn't live up to its expectations then focus will be shifted to the Scion FT-S. Subaru's variant could also hit production at the same time, we heard the model is out of production but we couldn't get further clarification on its status.

Toyota is is starting a major Scion marketing campaign starting today. More ads will be shows on more channels which had never previously been targeted by Scion. Such as Life and Oxygen. The biggest focus will be on the drifting market, which Toyota has coined the hottest automotive market in America. As you might of expected, the FT-S will be everywhere in the drifting community.

Scion debated calling the FT-86 the FT-D for (Drift), but decided against the naming. Scion is apparently targeting ‪Tanner Foust as their official drifter for the FT-S who currently drifts the

An official Production model is in existence right now in SoCal, in the hands of select shops, namely TRD, Five Axis, 5Zigen for modification fitments and testing.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Do you have the link from where this article came from?

!@#$ Scion...
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Hmm... There are a lot of 'could''s in there. I'm thinking that while there probably will be a Scion version of the car (labeled the FT-S or FR-S) there will probably also be a slightly higher-end Toyota version of it, as well.

At the very least, it's still probably going to be called a Toyota something down under!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
matadormi5

Drives: GTI MK5
I'd only be dissapointed if the Subaru version sells for $40k, most other points made in the article sound fair and logical.

But you need to name the source before I'm going to take any of it too seriously.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Someone has to leak photos of that "production" version. A source is still needed.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Two words,.

From a source close to Toyota, FT-86 is branded as Ferrari and put on sale in Volkswagen dealerships.

If the source is really reliable, they would have shown spy shot or whatever.
If it's true, Bye bye Toyota.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I had a couple of posts here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...p?t=903&page=2 about why and how the Scion fuck-up could happen.

I still want confirmation. The pic he posted isn't the GenII, so... Troll?

But what I failed to take into account at the time, what how if Scion got their fRS, it wouldn't generate a tremendous amount of sales for the brand. Guys like me will go to Subaru, or buy a used one so I don't have to deal with the extra-douchey Scion sales reps, and it will also cannibalize tC sales drastically unless there is a massive price difference.

If they really do this, Scion is on the same path that Saturn just took. The FT86 will not sell in the volume that Scion needs to save the brand. Much like how the Sky was irrelevant business-wise to Saturn (pretty to look at, real performance, no-one bought them). As for it being a halo car to get people into tC's or xB's? Doubtful. I bet in a Scion-branding case a lot of FT86 buyers would be former tC owners. So the company makes a few extra thousand selling an fRS, instead of just selling another tC when they want to trade.

At the very best they get to pad the sales numbers because the 'first on the block' kids who've just got their new gen tC, will trade in right away for an fRS/FT86. So the release year sales for the whole brand will look really nice ('Look our brilliant idea worked. We saved Scion!!!') but the later years will not follow the initial sales. And the FT86 will be seen as a one-year wonder and canned. Possibly with the whole brand. Like Saturn.

Also just read a feature on Scion's 'tuning' scene in Import Tuner. They are still GIVING AWAY the cars AND $15000 to select teams to 'customize' their cars. It is not a real, customer driven movement!

Fuck Scion.

Because titanium.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
:b s: :b s: :b s: :party00 38:
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
WhatIs86For
Rev Hard Or Stay Home

Drives: G37S
Guys can I ask a question?

Why do you care if its Scion badge or not, after all its just a badge you know??

why your worried if the FT-86 is made from japan, made from toyota, driven by toyota, tested by toyota, and everything is from toyota except the badge..

the badge will not make any different on the car you know?? after all its just a "Badge"
Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatIs86For View Post

Why do you care if its Scion badge or not, after all its just a badge you know??

why your worried if the FT-86 is made from japan, made from toyota, driven by toyota, tested by toyota, and everything is from toyota except the badge..

the badge will not make any different on the car you know?? after all its just a "Badge"
It affects the buying and owning experience, as well as what the priority and range of aftermarket support is. And how much aftermarket support will be needed from the start.

Because titanium.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,058 Times in 8,329 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatIs86For View Post

Let me ask you then. Which one sound better? Toyota FT-S or Scion FT-S?

Last edited by ichitaka05; 02-09-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have a cynical read on the term FT- S: future Toyota - Scion!! Btw, if this were true, Toyota will be dead pretty soon.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #13
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Lol Its gonna turn in to a Toyota vs scion thread again..
All I'm gonna say is that sky looks like a nice car, if Holden offered it here in oz I wouldn't buy it cus it looks like babrie but insee how this relates to the 86
Also, the ft wont be made in jap and improted to the states, Toyota USA is one of the biggest manufacturing plants Toyota has (if not the biggest) and I'm fairly sure they will make the usdm models..
If it does get canned as a scion, at least the jdm plants will make it as it surely will succeed in japan, so that's good news for me as most of our models are restickerd, flashed jdm cars
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
I thought we heard it was going to be made in a Subaru/FHI plant in Japan?

Fuck Scion. (Hmmm, could save me some typing if I just made that my sig...)

Because titanium.

Closed Thread