follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
mothespaceman

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Squeaking / Creaking rear suspension with low ride height? Suspension pros welcome!

Hey guys,

I've been having this creaky / squeaky rear suspension issue that I've been trying to resolve since I've installed my coilovers. In fact, I had another thread more directly related to the coilovers themselves... but I feel like this might apply to those of you who ride pretty low and hopefully I can get some good feedback!

So, heres the deal:

- The creaking noise sounds like a rubber on metal, or maybe rubber on rubber type sound that comes predominately from the right rear of the car. It sounds like it is mostly on the rebound stroke.

- The sound most commonly occurs when decelerating over fast rebounding bumps, I am unable to recreate the sound unless im driving / decelerating over small bumps in the road.

- When it is raining, or the suspension is wet, the noise is completely nonexistent (or seems to be)

Here's what I've checked:

- Suspension preload is correctly set.

- Checked virtually every nut and bolt related to the coilovers themselves, and the install.

- There is NO tire rub.

- I took it to All Pro Subaru and they couldn't seem to diagnose the problem, though I think they may have not looked too thoroughly as they couldn't recreate the sound (because it was raining). I DID ask them to re index the bushings, but I can't attest that this was fully done.

- I DID raise the suspension 5mm on all four corners which dramatically reduced the occurrence of the noise, but it's still there.

Because I am a complete noob, I did not measure before / after to get an accurate measurement of the difference in ride height (stock to now). But it's right at 340-345mm from the fender to the center of the wheel (this could be a bit off due to measuring into convex wheels).

Any help is greatly appreciated! Have any of you slammed guys had this issue?
mothespaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Similar situation...

I'm in the same boat... coilovers went on last Monday and there is definitely some minor creaking-like sounds -- both front and rear. I've double-checked like you have.

I only dropped 1.25 inches, so not a crazy amount -- hoping this isn't a problem with remaining OEM suspension components.

I'm taking mine in for an alignment on Thursday AM... wondering if some of these low-speed annoying sounds will be taken care of by the alignment...

Stay tuned...

Last edited by PNW FRS; 06-05-2014 at 11:19 AM.
PNW FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW FRS For This Useful Post:
mothespaceman (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
mothespaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
I'm in the same boat... coilovers went on last Monday and there is definitely some minor creaking-like sounds -- both front and rear. I've double-checked like you have.

I'm taking mine in for an alignment on Thursday AM... wondering if some of these low-speed annoying sounds will be taken care of by the alignment...

Stay tuned...
Let me know if you find anything, the little squeaks here and there for me are no big deal, but this creak...
Old 06-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothespaceman View Post
Let me know if you find anything, the little squeaks here and there for me are no big deal, but this creak...
Alignment done. 99% of the minor "creaking" sounds are gone. I believe the little bit I'm hearing during very low speed maneuvering over dips, lips, etc. are attributed to minor noises from the coilovers (e.g., minor movement of springs).

Kind of small side note... one of the most annoying noises (an intermittent "buzzing" that varied with speed and road conditions) ended up being two missing push-pin fasteners for the right-rear fuel tank protector. New push-pin fasteners installed... "Bob's your uncle!"

My complete narrative of coilover mod can be found here.

Good luck with resolution of your noises.

Last edited by PNW FRS; 06-05-2014 at 06:17 PM.
PNW FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW FRS For This Useful Post:
mothespaceman (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
mothespaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
Alignment done. 99% of the minor "creaking" sounds are gone. I believe the little bit I'm hearing during very low speed maneuvering over dips, lips, etc. are attributed to minor noises from the coilovers (e.g., minor movement of springs).

Kind of small side note... one of the most annoying noises (an intermittent "buzzing" that varied with speed and road conditions) ended up being two missing push-pin fasteners for the right-rear fuel tank protector. New push-pin fasteners installed... "Bob's your uncle!"

My complete narrative of coilover mod can be found here.

Good luck with resolution of your noises.
Thanks dude! I'm sorting out my ride height and then I'll be getting it aligned. It seems most of that noise has gone away.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothespaceman View Post
Hey guys,

I've been having this creaky / squeaky rear suspension issue that I've been trying to resolve since I've installed my coilovers. In fact, I had another thread more directly related to the coilovers themselves... but I feel like this might apply to those of you who ride pretty low and hopefully I can get some good feedback!

So, heres the deal:

- The creaking noise sounds like a rubber on metal, or maybe rubber on rubber type sound that comes predominately from the right rear of the car. It sounds like it is mostly on the rebound stroke.

- The sound most commonly occurs when decelerating over fast rebounding bumps, I am unable to recreate the sound unless im driving / decelerating over small bumps in the road.

- When it is raining, or the suspension is wet, the noise is completely nonexistent (or seems to be)

Here's what I've checked:

- Suspension preload is correctly set.

- Checked virtually every nut and bolt related to the coilovers themselves, and the install.

- There is NO tire rub.

- I took it to All Pro Subaru and they couldn't seem to diagnose the problem, though I think they may have not looked too thoroughly as they couldn't recreate the sound (because it was raining). I DID ask them to re index the bushings, but I can't attest that this was fully done.

- I DID raise the suspension 5mm on all four corners which dramatically reduced the occurrence of the noise, but it's still there.

Because I am a complete noob, I did not measure before / after to get an accurate measurement of the difference in ride height (stock to now). But it's right at 340-345mm from the fender to the center of the wheel (this could be a bit off due to measuring into convex wheels).

Any help is greatly appreciated! Have any of you slammed guys had this issue?
Exactly the same issue here.
The squeak will gone at raining days. and back st sunny days.
Only hear it at low speed when I hit bumps, and every time I park and get out off the car.

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Maybe sway bar bushings? Maybe hit them with a bit of spray lube and see if it goes away? Or loosen and then re-tighten them with the suspension loaded?
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to murdoc For This Useful Post:
ultra (08-14-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Did you loosen the LCA bolts and then torque them down with the car at resting height? There is some pre-load on the bushings if they're torqued down with the suspension under droop.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:07 AM   #9
babyface

Drives: Scion FR S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
same problrem here..
i can hear the clunk noise on slowing down to complete stop..
im running bc coils.. been to the shop already.. all is tight and good. but couldnt find where the sound is coming from. is this normal??
babyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
im lowered 3+ inches and I get the same sound on STANCE SS coilovers.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Rear swaybar preload issue maybe. Try adjustable end links?

Thing is I have a rear swap with adjustable links on them and still get the creaking. Could be set up wrong though. : /
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote