follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
Krease

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking New Owner in San Diego

Any meet-ups in or around the San Diego area? I live in Mission Valley, just got a used 2013 brz and I love it! It'd be awesome to see what everyone has in terms of mods in person

Last edited by Krease; 03-06-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Krease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krease For This Useful Post:
Lav (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Lav

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Im about to move to san diego as well. Just got my car a but over a month ago

bibbity boppity give me the zoppity
Lav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
Krease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav View Post
Im about to move to san diego as well. Just got my car a but over a month ago

Nice! How do you like the car? Thinking about doing anything to it?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
Lav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krease View Post
Nice! How do you like the car? Thinking about doing anything to it?
Loving it, its exactly what i expected.

Got a 2014 with 38k on the clock, and it came with a TRD exhaust, neither the dealer nor I knew about that lol.

A catted UEL header is for sure, and taking out the clutch spring is also for sure (makes the pedal heavier).

Im debating new wheels. I was pretty set on 18x8 with 38mm offset (flush alignment) but im not so sure anymore. If the stock wheels were aftermarket theyd be on my shortlist, so why get rid of them just to be "custom"

And im considering coilovers. I want to give it some modded appearance because i want it to look like mine (even if Im just doing the mods everyone else starts with). Im not big on appearance but i want other enthusiasts to recognize that I put some changes in when they see my car lol.

Thats all i got in my sights for now. How about you?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Krease

Quote:
Loving it, its exactly what i expected.

Got a 2014 with 38k on the clock, and it came with a TRD exhaust, neither the dealer nor I knew about that lol.

A catted UEL header is for sure, and taking out the clutch spring is also for sure (makes the pedal heavier).

Im debating new wheels. I was pretty set on 18x8 with 38mm offset (flush alignment) but im not so sure anymore. If the stock wheels were aftermarket theyd be on my shortlist, so why get rid of them just to be "custom"

And im considering coilovers. I want to give it some modded appearance because i want it to look like mine (even if Im just doing the mods everyone else starts with). Im not big on appearance but i want other enthusiasts to recognize that I put some changes in when they see my car lol.

Thats all i got in my sights for now. How about you?

That's awesome man!

So far I'm just running Stage 1 with an OFT and a q300 catback.

Was looking for that subie rumble (coming from an 08 wrx sedan and I miss the sound xD) so I'm probably going to install some UEL headers too. Catted ones are pricey so I'm probably going catless and keep my stock headers for smogging.

Some nice tires and wheels would be awesome. Still researching on which ones to get.

Coilovers would be definitely be nice too, but I'm surprisingly happy with stock suspension for now.

I like the look of the stock car, but I also wanted to clean up the look of the car a little too as far as the exterior goes with some aftermarket parts later on maybe. But also don't want to attract too much unwanted attention.

A Flex Fuel kit would be really cool too!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I live just north of mission valley in kearny mesa. im part of an autox club that meets once a month and races at qualcomm every so often, started in the DS class and have the stuff to upgrade to STX. There's a few guys with the 86 twin cars in the area who race too. I know the "socal" group based outta LA does a monthly meet/cruise as well. its a good group mostly.

2015 FRS halo in the middle of STX/BRZ tS conversion with 2018 bumper swap
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Krease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
I live just north of mission valley in kearny mesa. im part of an autox club that meets once a month and races at qualcomm every so often, started in the DS class and have the stuff to upgrade to STX. There's a few guys with the 86 twin cars in the area who race too. I know the "socal" group based outta LA does a monthly meet/cruise as well. its a good group mostly.

Sweet man! Would like to see some pics of your car after it's all finished!

How much does it cost to be a part of that autox club you mentioned?

I do want to take my car to the track someday and am interested in racing at qualcomm. Been looking into some of the solo practice race events they host at the stadium sometimes (SCCA or something?) but still would like to get a set of extra tires before that.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Krease

Looking for suggestions of some good driving roads nearby too!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #9
Lav

Quote:

...Was looking for that subie rumble (coming from an 08 wrx sedan and I miss the sound xD) so I'm probably going to install some UEL headers too. Catted ones are pricey so I'm probably going catless and keep my stock headers for smogging.

I like the look of the stock car, but I also wanted to clean up the look of the car a little too as far as the exterior goes with some aftermarket parts later on maybe. But also don't want to attract too much unwanted attention.
Isn't an uncatted header gonna attract a lot of attention? or is the q300 quiet enough. I thought I had to go catted for the noise level

EDIT: (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70490) looks like catted or not catted doesn't affect the noise level all that much

Quote:

I'm interested in car meets that aren't necessarily 86-only. Is there a FB group for this?
Old 03-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #10
Krease

Quote:
Isn't an uncatted header gonna attract a lot of attention? or is the q300 quiet enough. I thought I had to go catted for the noise level

EDIT: (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70490) looks like catted or not catted doesn't affect the noise level all that much

I'm interested in car meets that aren't necessarily 86-only. Is there a FB group for this?
Hopefully not too loud lol the header will probably liven up the sound a bit but yeah the q300 is pretty quiet and might tame it down.

+1 on the car meets question, I would also like to know.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:27 AM   #11
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Ortega Hwy up on I think 74? Crosses a mountain range just south of orange county.

Pick any road not the highway leading up to Julian, I prefer Sunset Highway which is a branch off 79, look up State route 79 north from the 8

"- The Palomar Mountain Loop:
Palomar Mountain offers a scenic lookout and one of the nation's best observatories. Your trip begins on Highway 76 at Lake Henshaw. Continue on 76 to the East Grade Road, which takes you up Palomar Mountain to the famed Palomar Observatory. Take a pit stop at the shops and restaurant where East Grade Road intersects the South Grade Road. Then head down the steep, winding west side of the mountain (stop for photos at the scenic turnouts). Count on an hour for the drive alone"

"- North County Backcountry day trip:
Start in Escondido around mid-morning and drive through Ramona on Highway 78. Be sure to stop at Dudley's Bakery in Santa Ysabel where Highways 78 and 79 meet. Head north on Highway 79 for about 10 miles until you reach Highway 76. Turn left on 76 and watch for the East Grade Road turn-off to Palomar Mountain. It will take about an hour to go up and down the mountain. If you prefer, take Highway 76 through Pala and Pauma for a very scenic, leisurely winding road trip back to Interstate 15, which will take you south to Escondido again. "

Lyons Valley Road can be fun, depending a few deals

https://www.scca.com/
https://www.motorsportreg.com/
http://sdrscca.com/

Quote:
Sweet man! Would like to see some pics of your car after it's all finished!

How much does it cost to be a part of that autox club you mentioned?

I do want to take my car to the track someday and am interested in racing at qualcomm. Been looking into some of the solo practice race events they host at the stadium sometimes (SCCA or something?) but still would like to get a set of extra tires before that.
Ill compile a short build sheet, I used to do them in the past but eh.. We will see I guess

Its 67 dollars per event If you are buying a weekend membership. if you buy into a SCCA membership and then get a Regional card the price per event goes down to something like 45 bucks. It can be pricey but for local hoonage its pretty much all we have in the area. Adams Motorsport park holds time attack deals or drift events once every other week on a Friday I believe, and then theres Chuckwalla and Street of Willow. Joining Motorsportsreg.com will give you an email update on stuff that happens in the area. It is what I do.

Don't worry about the extra set of tires, as a novice or beginner it's best to just drive on what you have and learn the chassis where it is as.

If you don't feel that's fine. I am running Walmart specials Ironman G2 All seasons. and took second in D-Street, 0.238 behind a 18 WRX on Sumitomo HTR Z3's... its more about skill than tires and drivetrain

uhh I think that's about it..

OH! So the SCCA hold auto-cross/pro-solo events
the Porsche Car Club and BMW Car Clubs hold events also and they are open to anyone.
The next event is on the 30th, held by the BMW SCC

https://www.sdbmwcca.com
www.pcasdr.org
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
Lav (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 04:45 AM   #12
Krease

Quote:
Ortega Hwy up on I think 74? Crosses a mountain range just south of orange county.

Pick any road not the highway leading up to Julian, I prefer Sunset Highway which is a branch off 79, look up State route 79 north from the 8

"- The Palomar Mountain Loop:
Palomar Mountain offers a scenic lookout and one of the nation's best observatories. Your trip begins on Highway 76 at Lake Henshaw. Continue on 76 to the East Grade Road, which takes you up Palomar Mountain to the famed Palomar Observatory. Take a pit stop at the shops and restaurant where East Grade Road intersects the South Grade Road. Then head down the steep, winding west side of the mountain (stop for photos at the scenic turnouts). Count on an hour for the drive alone"

"- North County Backcountry day trip:
Start in Escondido around mid-morning and drive through Ramona on Highway 78. Be sure to stop at Dudley's Bakery in Santa Ysabel where Highways 78 and 79 meet. Head north on Highway 79 for about 10 miles until you reach Highway 76. Turn left on 76 and watch for the East Grade Road turn-off to Palomar Mountain. It will take about an hour to go up and down the mountain. If you prefer, take Highway 76 through Pala and Pauma for a very scenic, leisurely winding road trip back to Interstate 15, which will take you south to Escondido again. "

Lyons Valley Road can be fun, depending a few deals

https://www.scca.com/
https://www.motorsportreg.com/
http://sdrscca.com/

Ill compile a short build sheet, I used to do them in the past but eh.. We will see I guess

Its 67 dollars per event If you are buying a weekend membership. if you buy into a SCCA membership and then get a Regional card the price per event goes down to something like 45 bucks. It can be pricey but for local hoonage its pretty much all we have in the area. Adams Motorsport park holds time attack deals or drift events once every other week on a Friday I believe, and then theres Chuckwalla and Street of Willow. Joining Motorsportsreg.com will give you an email update on stuff that happens in the area. It is what I do.

Don't worry about the extra set of tires, as a novice or beginner it's best to just drive on what you have and learn the chassis where it is as.

If you don't feel that's fine. I am running Walmart specials Ironman G2 All seasons. and took second in D-Street, 0.238 behind a 18 WRX on Sumitomo HTR Z3's... its more about skill than tires and drivetrain

uhh I think that's about it..

OH! So the SCCA hold auto-cross/pro-solo events
the Porsche Car Club and BMW Car Clubs hold events also and they are open to anyone.
The next event is on the 30th, held by the BMW SCC

https://www.sdbmwcca.com
www.pcasdr.org
I've driven Ortega and Palomar Mountain before! Fun roads. Also have heard good things about Sunset Highway and I'll have to check out the other roads too!

Thanks for all the suggestions. If you couldn't tell already, I'm new to this whole racing thing. It's always been an interest I never really dove into. I am newly signed up on motorsportsreg.com.

I believe you about the tires. Impressive time on those Walmart tires behind that WRX! I think I'd just like that extra set solely for taking to the track, events, etc. The dealerships put some cheap tires on my car. Accelera's I think lol

You've peaked my interest with the time attacks and drift events at Adams Motorsport Park. How would I go about signing up for one of these? Would I need some sort of extra membership or certification?

Excited to follow all these events!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
wombatcombat

Drives: 2014 white frs
Quote:
You should check out rancho santa fe, fantastic roads if you go late at night. And it's not super far away unlike most good roads
wombatcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #14
Krease

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatcombat View Post
You should check out rancho santa fe, fantastic roads if you go late at night. And it's not super far away unlike most good roads
Yeah, I've noticed you have to drive a little ways to get to most of the fun roads but hey the car is fun to drive so I can't complain.

Adding rancho santa fe to that list of roads to drive. Will check out it, thanks!

Tags
brz, oft, q300, uel header