follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i want to disable the nannies

i've searched and searched for alternative methods to completely eliminate the t/c system, and all i keep finding is stuff about pressing and holding, or 'the pedal dance', or pulling the fuse.

mods, if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it-- wasn't sure the best area for an electrical mod that affects the brake system...

i have an alternative idea. i'd like to install a switch on the ABS fuse to disable the entire system from even working.

i don't care for ABS, brake force distribution might be nice, but i can live, and me and t/c have different ideas of 'control'. in short, i'm tired of the car trying to take over doing what i'm doing from behind the wheel.

my question though is this-- by installing a switch on the main power feed, is it something that will cause issues if i were to turn the switch on or off while the car is on? are there any other systems on the car that would freak out if the abs system suddenly came on-line after the car had been on for any length of time, or turned off under a similar circumstance?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Seattle944t

Drives: Sc10n
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This Probably should be in another area but I have some answers:

1) If you disable the ABS via a switch it faults the system and disables all the associated things, speed sensors, EBD, etc. It won't come back on until to power off and restart the car where it can do a full diagnostic on the system. So no turning it off/on driving, off stays off until a reboot so to speak.

There is a device that does the pedal dance for you:
http://www.autofactory.jp/product/to...&cate=4&seq=11

Or if you just want to have the built in 3 second total TC off press happen every time you start the car it can be done with this:
http://www.fes-auto.com/products_det...p?productid=24

I did a (bad) DIY (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46269) on how to wire it, and haven't updated it to reflect that it can do this, but it's how I have mine wired now.

The good thing about the autosport plus is that it's easy to turn on/off and can be set in different modes, or disabled entirely without any re-wiring, e.g. trips to the dealer or valet, GF, etc.
Seattle944t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seattle944t For This Useful Post:
Pete156 (02-22-2014), soundman98 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
The biggest drawback I can see to this suggestion:
IF you get into an accident and the investigation shows that you messed with your ABS system, I see the insurance company refusing to pay or actually getting charged with a crime for intentionally disabling a safety system.

If you drove around with a blown fuse in the ABS location, that is one thing, having a switch wired into the fuse is another.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
My concern would be, god forbid, if you were to crash the car and your insurance found out that you've purposely bypassed important safety systems like ABS and stability control.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to f0rge For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle944t View Post
This Probably should be in another area but I have some answers:

1) If you disable the ABS via a switch it faults the system and disables all the associated things, speed sensors, EBD, etc. It won't come back on until to power off and restart the car where it can do a full diagnostic on the system. So no turning it off/on driving, off stays off until a reboot so to speak.

There is a device that does the pedal dance for you:
http://www.autofactory.jp/product/to...&cate=4&seq=11

Or if you just want to have the built in 3 second total TC off press happen every time you start the car it can be done with this:
http://www.fes-auto.com/products_det...p?productid=24

I did a (bad) DIY (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46269) on how to wire it, and haven't updated it to reflect that it can do this, but it's how I have mine wired now.

The good thing about the autosport plus is that it's easy to turn on/off and can be set in different modes, or disabled entirely without any re-wiring, e.g. trips to the dealer or valet, GF, etc.
thanks. yeah i definitely don't want to screw up the rest of the car in the process of doing this-- that autosport plus module might be enough..

like i said, i really wasn't sure where to put it being an electrical mod that dealt with the braking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
The biggest drawback I can see to this suggestion:
IF you get into an accident and the investigation shows that you messed with your ABS system, I see the insurance company refusing to pay or actually getting charged with a crime for intentionally disabling a safety system.

If you drove around with a blown fuse in the ABS location, that is one thing, having a switch wired into the fuse is another.
do you know of any cases where this has happened?

i personally have a lot of problems with ABS as a system-- it was a major factor in my first car accident--horrific tires, moist ground, and and ABS system that once it kicked in, would kick in for 15 seconds at a very minimum--i rolled over a crack near the stop light, the ABS system saw the temporary tire slippage, kicked in, and extended my stopping distance 4ft, problem was there was a car at 3.75ft.. i was able to repeat the situation later on without ABS, and was able to come to a complete, safe stop before where the car would have been..

so the long and short of it is that i don't believe in relying on the vehicle systems to maintain control, and i don't consider them safety systems--- if ABS, brake force distro, or traction need to kick in to put the car back on the right path to keep me in control, i am doing something stupid/wrong as a driver, and it's something that i feel i need to man-up and learn to either avoid or correctly correct for.

the current situation though is that i'm finding that i will start to take steps to correct for whatever i made the car do, and then the car jumps in to help.. so then i end up correcting for the car correcting for me correcting for myself.. i really just want to cut out the middleman...

different question now though-- if i were to install either of the modules that seattle so kindly recommended, wouldn't that have the same effect insurance-wise as if i just installed a switch on the ABS fuse? assuming insurance cares in the first place...
Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #6
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If you hold down the VSC and TC buttons at the same time for about 3 seconds it will enter a full TC off mode. Everything thing from burn outs to scuffing of rear wheels during aggressive downshifts happens when its like this. The three lights in the dash will come on then the green VSC light will go out, then its drive smart or you will end up wrapped around a pole or tree. I find that ABS works pretty good in these cars, nothing like the late 90's early 2000's subarus which were horrid. I had a similar situation as you, just lacking ABS cause me to lock up and skid into a car just causing scratches on the rear bumper.
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
CoupedUpSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
soundman98

you just need to hold down the traction-off button for 3 seconds to enter that mode, not both buttons i do it every time i get in the car...

after some thinking about it, i think i am going to take the opportunity to try to learn to program an attiny86 to perform the task for me.. it'll be cheaper then the linked modules, and i've been looking for an excuse to learn microcontrollers for a while..
Old 02-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
stugray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i've been looking for an excuse to learn microcontrollers for a while..
Checkouot the beetle (Arduino Leon):

http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.ph...le_SKU:DFR0282

It is $7 ($13 with shipping).
It has 6 IO pins easily available for soldering (4 more if you are good with a soldering iron). And it is about the size of your thumbnail with integral USB.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Checkouot the beetle (Arduino Leon):

http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.ph...le_SKU:DFR0282

It is $7 ($13 with shipping).
It has 6 IO pins easily available for soldering (4 more if you are good with a soldering iron). And it is about the size of your thumbnail with integral USB.

thanks, but i've been warned from advanced programmers that learning arduino with the intent to better understand the more advanced programming languages is like learning spanish with the intent to visit china-- it's got good intentions at first, but nothing between the two really apply to each other, so it just ends up confusing you more...

and besides, 'simple' isn't a strong suit for me
Old 02-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
stugray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
thanks, but i've been warned from advanced programmers that learning arduino with the intent to better understand the more advanced programming languages is like learning spanish with the intent to visit china-- it's got good intentions at first, but nothing between the two really apply to each other, so it just ends up confusing you more...

and besides, 'simple' isn't a strong suit for me
That's not true. If you start by using the Arduino example code, it is all just libraries of C-code.
Pretty much any C-code book will apply to the arduino.

So your friend is only correct if he means that you shouldnt learn C first...
And if you wanted to be hardcore, you could program the arduino directly in Assembly and skip all that pre-installed bootcode & USB baggage

If all you need to do is fire off a series of discrete signals with fixed waits in between, than how complex do you want?