follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #71
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Latest mods are as follows:
JDM Back-Up Camera
JDM YR-Advance Dip Stick Holder
EDM BRZ Carbon Sill Plates
USDM TRD Intake - Thanks to @switchlanez for the idea of using the blue TRD soundchanger as a plug.
USDM FR-S Floor Mats w/ Badge removed and bobo Chinese STi Badges. (Because no one in the world would send me the real deal badges/mats?)
JDM Rear Seat Silencer - Still need to pop some pics of this one.

Last edited by Beyer Subaru; 04-26-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #72
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
Yep. I'll try and get a better pic. This is a good reference though:

They are about level. The Front Skirt makes it lower than the Side Skirts. But I wouldn't reccomend any form of drop with this Front Lip without the Skirt. It has protected me so many times.
The black washes out with the shadows, so it's a bit hard to see where the lip truly ends.

I see you and Lanez both have it, but I'm not sold on it. If I hit a curb, I'm hitting the lip anyway...
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #73
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
The black washes out with the shadows, so it's a bit hard to see where the lip truly ends.

I see you and Lanez both have it, but I'm not sold on it. If I hit a curb, I'm hitting the lip anyway...
If you hit a curb the underlip kit will bear the brunt of the... attack. If you add extra screws to keep the lip on then it'll stay on no problem. This is how it's done with front lips.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #74
Beyer Subaru

Quote:

Ok, I just went back to snap some pics and one of the porters is giving her a wash. There really isn't a good angle to show the height.

I measured from the ground to the bottom of the lip (not skirt) and rails. They are both at 4". So they are pretty damn level.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #75
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
If you hit a curb the underlip kit will bear the brunt of the... attack. If you add extra screws to keep the lip on then it'll stay on no problem. This is how it's done with front lips.
Maybe at stock ride height. Lowered the lip itself is what hits. It's forward of the bumper and underskirt both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
I measured from the ground to the bottom of the lip (not skirt) and rails. They are both at 4". So they are pretty damn level.
Perfect, thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #76
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Quote:
Maybe at stock ride height. Lowered the lip itself is what hits. It's forward of the bumper and underskirt both.
Well once you go lowered then you're doomed since an STI front lip seems mostly impractical at that point. Would be better with the cheaper lip that isn't HTAutos.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #77
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Well once you go lowered then you're doomed since an STI front lip seems mostly impractical at that point. Would be better with the cheaper lip that isn't HTAutos.
I've heard V-Limited lips can take the abuse. Worst case scenario I only wasted $500 bucks on it.

That is pretty bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #78
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Quote:
I've heard V-Limited lips can take the abuse. Worst case scenario I only wasted $500 bucks on it.

That is pretty bad.
HPT Motorsports is the one I was thinking of. I'm glad they jumped on Jive's thread and quoted ALL of those pictures to remind us.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #79
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
HPT Motorsports is the one I was thinking of. I'm glad they jumped on Jive's thread and quoted ALL of those pictures to remind us.
I already own the STI lip. Maybe I'll order the underskirt with my engine mounts, maybe I won't. Haven't decided.

Thanks for the pics Thermobeyer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (04-26-2013), chanomatik (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #80
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I ended up not using the rubber underskirt on mine because I just didn't like the look of it. I have scrapped the lip only once thus far and tbh I'm having extreme difficulty actually locating the damage lol. The lip itself seems to do quite well against scraping. With the STI springs I have about 3.5" max clearance from the ground, which is more than enough as long as you are always conservative with bumps, dips, and inclines.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (04-25-2013), clzzical (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #81
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Thank you @DSOmegaX. I've been debating getting the under lip because I, too, think it's funky-looking and I think it lends itself to self-fulfilling prophecy of being scraped since it IS lower as part of its nature of existing underneath a front lip.
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
clzzical (04-25-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #82
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
I already own the STI lip. Maybe I'll order the underskirt with my engine mounts, maybe I won't. Haven't decided.

Thanks for the pics Thermobeyer.
Quote:
Thank you @DSOmegaX. I've been debating getting the under lip because I, too, think it's funky-looking and I think it lends itself to self-fulfilling prophecy of being scraped since it IS lower as part of its nature of existing underneath a front lip.
It's useful to an extent. I've been scraping occasionally here and there and the skirt acts as a cushion that pushes the STI lip upwards when it contacts the ground to keep it flawless. My lip would otherwise be somewhat shaved by now.

Speaking of which, the other day I totally miscalculated at McD's (one of those angled parking spaces) and rode a corner of my lip up onto the curb which peeled of some the rubber skirt back (wasn't screwed, just taped) but the entire underside of my lip was preserved. The lip just got a long but thin scuff on the forward edge of where the skirt was attached. Painted over with Walmart generic flat black touch up and it's virtually invisible now. But the whole thickness of my lip rode up onto the curb. Without the skirt there, I imagine it'd otherwise have a lot of texture/plastic shavings hanging off it.

It'll take me a couple hours to scrape the 3M tape off the skirt (not sure I can get it all of cleanly) and reapply it. Meantime my inner ricer tried something it's always wanted: the Home Depot lip mod. I needa redo the tape, the lighter black is a bit off and it's a softer rubber, but damn I kinda like the thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
I ended up not using the rubber underskirt on mine
I see you just replied to my PM about this.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (04-26-2013), clzzical (04-27-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #83
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Haha yeah just let me know

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #84
Beyer Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
It's useful to an extent. I've been scraping occasionally here and there and the skirt acts as a cushion that pushes the STI lip upwards when it contacts the ground to keep it flawless. My lip would otherwise be somewhat shaved by now.

Speaking of which, the other day I totally miscalculated at McD's (one of those angled parking spaces) and rode a corner of my lip up onto the curb which peeled of some the rubber skirt back (wasn't screwed, just taped) but the entire underside of my lip was preserved. The lip just got a long but thin scuff on the forward edge of where the skirt was attached. Painted over with Walmart generic flat black touch up and it's virtually invisible now. But the whole thickness of my lip rode up onto the curb. Without the skirt there, I imagine it'd otherwise have a lot of texture/plastic shavings hanging off it.

It'll take me a couple hours to scrape the 3M tape off the skirt (not sure I can get it all of cleanly) and reapply it. Meantime my inner ricer tried something it's always wanted: the Home Depot lip mod. I needa redo the tape, the lighter black is a bit off and it's a softer rubber, but damn I kinda like the thickness.

Thanks for the pics @switchlanez. I installed mine per the instructions with all of the associated hardware. I was able to get it onto a lift and contour the skirt to the lips curvature just about perfectly. It has taken so much abuse it just seems like an absolute no-brainer to me. I also think that it adds a real menacing and completed look to the front-end.