follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #43
Dylans47

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
"Axial" bolts are parallel with the wheel axis. "Radial" bolts are more aligned with rotor radial direction (imagine a line originating at the axle and pointing outward to the tire tread).

Any aftermarket bolt-up kit is going to have an axially-bolted interface with the factory knuckle/upright . Only way to get a "radial" bolted joint there would be to have a custom aftermarket knuckle/upright.
So with the Brembo GT kit, and presumably the AP Racing Sprint kit, it converts axial mount to radial mount. But thinking about it, this just adds another set of bolts... meaning if anything it would be equally or less rigid right? It would need to be radial from the factory straight onto the knuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
GLOC R10 equivalent to Carbotech xP10, right? IMO a pretty OK street/track pad (at least I ran mine on the street a fair amount).

CSG C2 were a big upgrade in terms of feel (great bite but not overly hyper-grabby, important for me because not running ABS) and temperature-consistency and longevity for me, though I never had fade issues with XP10 (on 550hp FD with StopTech ST40 brakes and 328mm front rotors).
I also end up running the C2s on the street a fair amount and I find them perfectly streetable save for some noise...

Worth a try IMO! If temp/fade is a primary concern of course check wit them for recommendation.
Perhaps it's because I'm less experienced but I had brembos, motul rbf600, 11.75" rotors, and GLOC R10s (Carbotech XP10), and I still experienced brake fade. This was in 95F+ degree weather, and 225 section RE71R tires.

So that's really why I'm concerned about brake fade. Imagine now with the GR86, it's 500lbs heavier than the ND miata, smaller rotor diameter, and smaller brake calipers. I find it hard to believe I won't fade, but I will give them a shot before going BBK.
Dylans47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #44
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylans47 View Post
So with the Brembo GT kit, and presumably the AP Racing Sprint kit, it converts axial mount to radial mount. But thinking about it, this just adds another set of bolts... meaning if anything it would be equally or less rigid right? It would need to be radial from the factory straight onto the knuckle.
Yeh, to get full benefit of "radial mount" would require specific upright/knuckle, but IMO nothing to worry about regarding whether or not to upgrade...

Quote:
Perhaps it's because I'm less experienced but I had brembos, motul rbf600, 11.75" rotors, and GLOC R10s (Carbotech XP10), and I still experienced brake fade. This was in 95F+ degree weather, and 225 section RE71R tires.
I wouldn't worry too much about being "less experienced" regarding your brake usage. IMO your brake setup should suit *your* driving, you shouldn't have to adapt your driving to your brake setup. If your style of driving is particularly hard on brakes, IMO you have to upgrade brakes if they are limiting you.

Quote:
So that's really why I'm concerned about brake fade. Imagine now with the GR86, it's 500lbs heavier than the ND miata, smaller rotor diameter, and smaller brake calipers. I find it hard to believe I won't fade, but I will give them a shot before going BBK.
Yeh, you might be able to make them work *with the right pads*! I'm a big fan of CSG spec pads , check with them and I bet you can make stock brakes work...
ZDan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dylans47 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #45
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Get proper pads, good fluid and some good tires. Bigger brakes don’t make you stop faster, they just resist fade longer. Tires make all the difference.
Ghost of Akina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #46
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes, I have tried this. I still deal with brake fade especially in SoCal weather.

You're running the wrong pads then.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #47
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

R10 is very similar to XP10. We sell Carbotech and G-LOC compounds pretty consistently, tested all the compounds and many combinations. Those pads are, what we consider, a good pad for newbies or those who have heavy bias towards for those brake companies for a reasonable price point and decent turnaround time.

If you're burning through those pads, then going up a compound or going to a BBK with those pads will only give you a little extra overhead. You'll still want to run a better pad compound regardless. As tire technology evolves, so does everything else (chassis, suspension, etc.). Friction material tech needs to evolve as well. Many companies still live in the 90s and 2000s and still rely on that tech + their popularity to stay relevant. It's time to live in the present and work with stuff that has been vetted and developed for the latest tire technology, electronics, and the ever improvements of the average driving pace as well.

Hope this helps your decision. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to e-mail us. Thanks!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Dylans47 (09-29-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #48
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

There's your issue. That's a setup I would really only recommend to novices who have no experience, and you're definitely not a novice!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote