follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #29
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeong View Post
i still don't understand your reasoning. its best that they practice there than on the streets or in a public area. its technically "safer" even with the concrete walls. but as a beginner, shit is bound to happen to you. they just got the short end of the stick. lesson learned, i'd say.
No doubt that it is safer then the street, I guess my reasoning is that they shouldn't do it at all.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
1) Rear stocks are on because it creates lower traction with the shitty tires and slides easier on underpowered cars. People have been using shitty wheels in the rear forever in drifting. You all must be new to this drifting thing... Here are shots of my AE86. Fronts are wider for better traction, rears are skinnier to help it slide easier:

The car had no cage, it had some suspension work, was on an open diff, stock bluetop with exhaust and intake, and a 6puck unsprung ACT clutch. I had tons of fun drifting it at events just like SonomaDrift.

2) SonomaDrift is NOT just for purpose built cars. It's for anyone that wants to go out and slide whatever they own. If it was just about skill level it would be a pretty empty place. It's a great place to go out and learn. You get tons of good advice, most people there are awesome.

3) Drifting is extremely hard on the cars. You're pushing them harder than HPDE driving. Accidents WILL happen. All of the time. If you're seriously going to go slide, expect shit to break. It's why all Japanese drift cars bumpers are FRP. They're cheap, will most likely shatter, and are easy to replace. The zenki front lip and bumper of my AE86 were ziptied on so that the ties would snap before the bumper and I could just put it back on after it popped off.

4) @Calidownhiller Your attitude sucks man. Just stop. Anyone is allowed to go out there and slide their car. The purpose of that event is to give people a safe and easy place to drift. You'd rather he went to an empty parking lot and wrapped it around a pole? He did what everyone does, he found a weekly drift event, and started going out and practicing. He pushed it harder and harder and on one run lost control and it spun into a wall. Shit happens bro. That's the drifting life. Stop trying to shit all over someone for going out and trying to drift their car at a sanctioned event.

It's not formula d. It's not Drift Muscle. It's not D1. It's not pro-am. It's a weekly event for anyone of any skill level in any car they choose. Practice makes perfect, and good for him for getting out there and pushing it harder. I can guarantee you that he'll be better off now that he's crashed. His fear levels will change, his reactions will change. Crashing is always the point where people that are into drifting either give up, or get to the next level. You're supposed to learn from it. You said you get that cars are going to crash, the owner obviously knows it's possible as well. He was willing to take the risk. So stop judging someone else you know nothing about.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #31
Lanbaldo3
Divine Wind - Dori

Drives: RWD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
preach!!! preach!!! preach!!!! @denkigrve! open diff, must of been hard and bet you've gone through your clutch hella fast.

Im not speaking for all the drifters, from my experience everyones tires or wheels size dont match either way. some of us are broke and find cheap wheels to put on to have fun or learn in events. you gotta be thinking pro like if your actually trying to go pro, but for some they just wanna have fun. he probly had xxr as stance wheels and used his stocks as drift spares. i'd do the same. Drifting comes with consequences but he knew that. EVEN PROS CRASH!!! Your point is that he shouldnt have brought his car there to drift cause its new, well my response is still its his car let him do whatever he wants. It'd be sad if it was 10 series for sure. At least he's out of the street not killing people on accidents. KDF man, keep drifting fun! its a sport meant to have fun with the cars we have.

1990 FC3S T2swapped! "Savannah"
1992 240sx Type X "Nadia"
2013 Scion FRS "Raven"
Drift Specials.....

Last edited by Lanbaldo3; 09-15-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Lanbaldo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanbaldo3 For This Useful Post:
Noob4Life (09-15-2013), NorCalGirl (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #32
dnL

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Out of curiosity, why does it bother you that other people wreck their cars? I'm not judging. I really am just curious.
dnL is offline   Reply With Quote