follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2017, 04:08 AM   #1
SB-86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY REQUEST: IJDMTOY FOURTH BRAKE LIGHT CONVERSION KIT INSTALL

Does anyone know where I can find detailed instructions on installing the ijdmtoy.com kit there are a couple videos on YouTube but they suck they always skip the wiring aspect of the install and if they do show some of the wiring steps they skip a lot of shit. Also the directions on their website are complete garbage. Please I need help.

P.S.- This is for the DIY STOCK conversion kit that includes only the wires AND red crimp clamps , red LED bulb and hole saw drill attachment. And I have a 2017 Toyota 86 (US)
Attached Images

SB-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:21 AM   #2
Ramn

Drives: 2015 GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you slide an exposed wire into the plug you have to tap into you can test if the brake light turns on or not. I did this with the Valenti fourth brake light and it works.
Ramn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:33 AM   #3
SB-86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramn View Post
If you slide an exposed wire into the plug you have to tap into you can test if the brake light turns on or not. I did this with the Valenti fourth brake light and it works.
yea I saw on a video that you can do that but I need to learn how to do the actual wiring and stuff. The kit comes with these red clips to mesh the wires together but no instructions on what wire goes where and how to use the actual clips.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #4
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Just look @ back of the tail light, unplug the power to it..

Open up the clip you see, you will see that there is a metal piece in it with an indentation on each side for cutting the rubber part of the wire.
All you need to do is put taillight power cord on one side & & cord to the 4th brake light on the other then push close the clip real hard.

It's just a cheap way to do it without solder the wires together.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoting myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
I believe iJDMToy has a regular and strobe kit. I chose regular because I didn't like the strobe pattern (5 fast, 5 slow, constant).

The hole saw is in fact smaller than the supplied socket. Some people shaved material off the "square" socket. I chose to dremel the hole bigger and made slots, so the socket can be inserted and twist-locked just like a regular bulb socket. It fits very tight with the supplied o-ring and requires no gasket maker at all.

My BRZ has power trunk, so I ran the 4th brake light wiring through the same grommet, and applied some gasket maker to ensure good seal.

Last tip I have is for splicing the wires into the taillight harness - not necessary. I was starting to unwrap the stock electrical tape to make room for the supplied splice connectors, when I realized there's enough room to simply insert the wire into the OEM connector from the rear. IIRC, red to red, black to black, blue to green. Hot glued them so they stay in place, followed by electric tape.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
SB-86

Quote:
Quoting myself
Dude that's awesome definitely doing the hot glue and tape method. Did you lay the glue on the tape and wrap it or did you glue the outer plastic shell of the wire to the plug?
Old 09-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB-86 View Post
Dude that's awesome definitely doing the hot glue and tape method. Did you lay the glue on the tape and wrap it or did you glue the outer plastic shell of the wire to the plug?
i twisted and folded the exposed wire (thicker and more surface area) and insert it into the rear of the existing tail light connector, then filled hot glue into the connector. do this for the three wires, then wrap the whole thing with electrical tape.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
Ramn

Drives: 2015 GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
i twisted and folded the exposed wire (thicker and more surface area) and insert it into the rear of the existing tail light connector, then filled hot glue into the connector. do this for the three wires, then wrap the whole thing with electrical tape.
That's what I did minus the hot glue
Ramn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
You can use the instructions from the NSIDIUS kit but the actual splicing will be different

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcw1eye7dn...baru%20BRZ.pdf
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
SB-86

Well turns out the red led bulb that came with the kit is garbage anyone know where I can find the correct red led bulb replacement for this??
Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
I bought the Nsidius kit and changed out their halogen bulb with an led one, because the 2017 models have LED tail lights and the 4th brake light came on a half second late.

I'm not entirely sure if it's the same socket size as the ijdm, but this is the one I bought. A red bulb isn't necessary since the reflector housing is already red, so I got white, but I believe they have a red version:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...car/1688/3956/

Just make sure whatever bulb you get, it has dual function for parking light and brake light.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #12
SkyeHack

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
I just connected my 4th brake light. My 4th brake light turns on when I turn my car on. However, when I hit the brakes the 4th brake light completely turns off until I let go of the brake. Can someone let me know what I messed up on please?
Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeHack View Post
I just connected my 4th brake light. My 4th brake light turns on when I turn my car on. However, when I hit the brakes the 4th brake light completely turns off until I let go of the brake. Can someone let me know what I messed up on please?
Is this when your headlights are on? Did you ground it correctly? When the lights are off, it should only turn on when the brakes are pressed.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote