follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #379
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDrvr86 View Post
Thats why I will more then likely be cross-shopping the ft86 with the new focus st, since that will be closer to my time frame to buy anyways, sometime in 2012. Hopefully similarly priced around 25k also
I r confoozed. Your location says you are in Atlanta, GA but you mention buying a Focus ST. The ST is Euro only and the current version is coming to an end due to emissions. You wouldn't be referring to the Focus Ecoboost by any chance?
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #380
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I r confoozed. Your location says you are in Atlanta, GA but you mention buying a Focus ST. The ST is Euro only and the current version is coming to an end due to emissions. You wouldn't be referring to the Focus Ecoboost by any chance?

I was talkin about the new focus st with the ecoboost. I was shown at the PAris Auto Show and is coming to America with the next generation focus. The ST version should be out about the same time as the FT86
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #381
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDrvr86 View Post
I was talkin about the new focus st with the ecoboost. I was shown at the PAris Auto Show and is coming to America with the next generation focus. The ST version should be out about the same time as the FT86

It's been a looong time since I heard anything interesting about the Focus. I spent some time looking around for MZR info and subsequently the Ecoboost former Twinforce idea for awhile, pretty cool but it's not exactly top shelf, just a big engine in an economy car and a long time coming off the Ford Iron Blocks. I'm still amazed when people say things like wanting the 2.0l Ecoboost in the Focus or 1.6l in the Fiesta. Don't they know Ford is using this to downsize their engines? The whole reason Ford's Ecoboost is so special is that it's a turbocharged small displacement in the same size car.
/rantings again

Here's hoping.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #382
ScurrilousKnave

Drives: '96 AE102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
It's been a looong time since I heard anything interesting about the Focus. I spent some time looking around for MZR info and subsequently the Ecoboost former Twinforce idea for awhile, pretty cool but it's not exactly top shelf, just a big engine in an economy car and a long time coming off the Ford Iron Blocks. I'm still amazed when people say things like wanting the 2.0l Ecoboost in the Focus or 1.6l in the Fiesta. Don't they know Ford is using this to downsize their engines? The whole reason Ford's Ecoboost is so special is that it's a turbocharged small displacement in the same size car.
/rantings again

Here's hoping.
The Ford Focus RS is the trim level that will be no longer produced due to emissions. And while it's true that the current and previous generation RS and ST were Europe only models, the next generation ST will be coming out in America, and with a 2.0L Turbocharged engine. Ford wants to go toe to toe with the GTi, Mazdaspeed 3, and the like in the hot hatch segment in the US, and their current push for more global platforms means the US actually gets a "performance" version of the Focus this time around. The 2013 Ford Focus ST will be the car I shop against the FT-86, but that's just me.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/29/p...hatches-early/

/offtopic
Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #383
1GoZoom
Mazda and Ecotec Owner

Drives: 2004 Mazda 6S
This thread is a fight waiting to happen lol. The reason they don't make their own is cost. Subaru and them share costs on design and everyone wins. Toyota wins cuz they have the best motor for the job at half the cost (or less). Suabru wins because they get some of Toyo tech in their Boxer and can make it even better. We win as customers seeing as this will cut costs SIGNIFICANTLY. If Toyota developed their own motor, it'd be more powerful like the V6s of old, but would most likely raise initial costs by 5-7k and wouldn't be as balanced.

I'd love to see a Straight-6 myself, but I don't see it happening in Japan for a long time, at least until 6-cylinder tech catches up in Asia. Nissan seems to be the forerunner, and Ford is right there with them with the Duratec 37 and Ecoboosted Duratec 35. I'm looking forward to something to rival the 370z and GTR motors from Asia. Sure a Supra can, but it isn't up to spec with today's engine demands. Needs fuel efficiency, enviro-friendly, etc. I see Toyota being next to jump into Inline (or Flat)-6 territory though. Hopefully.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. You guys bicker so much. be happy.

2004 Mazda6S MTX
2006 Saturn Ion 2.4L "Sport" MTX
1GoZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #384
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,057 Times in 8,329 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GoZoom View Post
This thread is a fight waiting to happen lol. The reason they don't make their own is cost. Subaru and them share costs on design and everyone wins. Toyota wins cuz they have the best motor for the job at half the cost (or less). Suabru wins because they get some of Toyo tech in their Boxer and can make it even better. We win as customers seeing as this will cut costs SIGNIFICANTLY. If Toyota developed their own motor, it'd be more powerful like the V6s of old, but would most likely raise initial costs by 5-7k and wouldn't be as balanced.

I'd love to see a Straight-6 myself, but I don't see it happening in Japan for a long time, at least until 6-cylinder tech catches up in Asia. Nissan seems to be the forerunner, and Ford is right there with them with the Duratec 37 and Ecoboosted Duratec 35. I'm looking forward to something to rival the 370z and GTR motors from Asia. Sure a Supra can, but it isn't up to spec with today's engine demands. Needs fuel efficiency, enviro-friendly, etc. I see Toyota being next to jump into Inline (or Flat)-6 territory though. Hopefully.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. You guys bicker so much. be happy.
Yeah love the sound of I6... but v6 is the current way. I wish Toyota go back and remake 2J or even 1J again...
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #385
Archer256

Drives: TSX
Another point (dont hurt me) if Toyota is making/developing a new 6 cylinder engine for performance uses they'll probably want to give it to Lexus namely the IS since that beast is going head to head with the 3 series like balls on and beyondd

This way Toyota gets you into the brand with the 86, 4 cylinder, fast, sporty, fun. next step? oh look there's this nice sporty car from toyota under lexus that's basically the older brother to the 86.

And then there's the LFA...the eldest, baddest ass brother of them all who's features sometimes can be seen or pop up in his young brothers.
Archer256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #386
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
The 2GR will be around for at least another generation.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #387
huyttz

Drives: 90 300ZX TT, 09 GTI, 03 WRX
to the OP and anyone complaining, the boxer design is capable of high revs AND hp and tq. my 2.0L WRX revved to 7500rpms, the JDM spec 2.0L STI will rev to 9000rpms... keep in mind both have turbos too. I see no reason why this NA engine can't deliver rpms to make you happy. right now, i'm all too happy to see a lightweight small sports car... the engine will sound good and its supposed to handle well... speed isn't everything.
huyttz is offline   Reply With Quote