follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #71
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetzROQ View Post
Ordered my FR-S Release Series 2.0 back in October, and the 450Q with color-matched sub and free rear speaker upgrade in January. Got the car mid-March and the system late-March. The install wasn't too bad, following the docs provided and the YouTube videos. Only had a couple hitches. First, the dealer installed after-market LED running lights, and ran the wiring for the switch through the same grommet I needed for the power wire. Had a buddy help me get the wire pulled through the grommet, which was the only thing in the install I needed a 2nd set of hands for. Second hitch was the door speakers had no sound. Checked all my connections (speakers, amp, radio) but couldn't find anything wrong. Shot an email to Daniel at OEM, and he immediately called me back, talked through the issue, then sent me a quick 1-page fix on how to install a wire tap on the OEM harness, behind the radio. After dropping $2 at Radio Shack for a pack of wire taps, and another 15 minutes to pull the radio and install it, everything is working great. The sound is much fuller and richer than the stock system, but I knew that was going to be case, since I installed a Reference 400 in my 2012 tC a few years back.

I cannot say enough about OEM Audio+ and the great guys that work there: Daniel La Blanc, Dan Ramirez, and Sandy Lirag (COO and co-founder). Spoke to all of them over the couple months while my 450Q was being built, painted, and tested. The system can seem pricey, but it's well worth the money, for the superior sound, pre-configured tuning, plug-n-play install, and support. Here's what the Lunar Storm color-matched sub enclosure looks like:
Hey bud, I ran into that same door speaker issue on my system. Can you post up the doc Daniel sent you?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #72
LetzROQ

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here's the wiretap fix for the door speaker issue. Let me know if it works for you too.
Attached Images

LetzROQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #73
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetzROQ View Post
Here's the wiretap fix for the door speaker issue. Let me know if it works for you too.
You're the best! Still, no dice.

My wiring harness behind the radio:

The left most connector in the picture is the OEM Audio Plus harness male connector, and the connector assembly on the right is the harness female connector plugged into the factory male connector (that previously went directly to the HU).

Per the directions above, the harness male connector should have one solid blue and one blue/white wire in the 2/3 spot on the bottom row of the connector. Mine is blue and light blue, respectively. The light blue wire is connected somewhere in the wire loom but the solid blue is not connected to anything.

The harness female connector has, in the same 2/3 spot, a solid blue and blue/white wire. You can see in my picture (under my index finger) that these two wires terminate with each other.

The arrangement as pictured (blue and light blue connected) - and suggested above - did not fix the issue of my door speakers not working. Hopefully I'll hear back from Daniel soon so we can work out a fix...
Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #74
LetzROQ

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0
Sucks that didn't work for you, but I'm sure Daniel will get back to you pretty quick. Mine was for a 2016 FR-S, Reference 450Q, Pioneer Premium/NAV head unit. Looks like our wiring harnesses are slightly different. Should be simple fix, but probably different wires.
LetzROQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #75
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Still waiting on mine, I received an email saying it would ship out this week, right when I won't have time to install it.
B T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #76
softgrip

Drives: 2017 BRZ - Dark Grey Metallic
Garage
I've had the OEM Audio Plus Reference 400CF for about 3 weeks now. I held off on doing a review until I'd listened to it for a while, so as not to have "shiny and new" bias.

Install
3/5 stars

I'd read that this was a simple 3-4 hour gig if you took your time. This wasn't the case for me. It took a lot longer.

I started my install at about 12pm. Cleared the driveway and stripped my car as per instructions. Popping the stock tweeters out was a real pain in the ass, but not OEMs fault.

I'm in Australia, so our vehicles are right hand drive. I'd previously sent multiple messages and support mails to OEM asking about the differences and got no reply.

The instructions tell me to unplug the factory amp. What?!? I have no factory amp. My car is in pieces and I can't continue.

I'd been supplied the US instructions which are different from the Australian ones. Our cars have no rear amp. I search the interwebs for answers and send off a few more support emails asking exactly what I'm meant to do. I've run out of sunlight at about 5:30pm, so the panels/trim go back on the car.

The next day I get a reply from OEM. They supply me with the right hand drive manual as a PDF. I start the install at about 10am. I strip the car again (only half the number of panels needed to be removed this time), and plug in the unit without much trouble... until I get to the battery.

The ring on the power lead is for 12mm, our battery terminals are 13mm. I hollowed out the ring a bit with a file, but then decided to just cut it and thread it down. This worked great. Unfortunately when tightening up the terminal again, my 13mm socket launched into my engine bay. It's gone... bupbow. I also have about 1m of extra power cable which is not ideal, but I'll manage. I could always trim it.

Finally, everything is in except for the foot kicker panel. The OEM unit, at least the RHD version, does not give you enough cable length on the quicksync harness. Everything is taught. I pull the inch or so slack from behind the head unit and manage to squeeze the foot kick panel back on and cable tie the harness below the steering column. It's tight. Really really tight.

The only thing left is to secure the sub in the boot. One of the brackets for the sub was slightly damaged, the thread would not let the bolt through. I got a power drill with an allen key attachment and worked the bracket until it would let the bolt travel reasonably. This generated a lot of heat which made the bracket brittle.

Tip: when putting the rear bolt for the sub in, have your fingers under the sub - this helps the bolt hole line up. It's very easy to start screwing in only to hear the bracket fall off the frame. This is a pain in the ass because it's behind the boot carpet, but fortunately the bracket always lands within arms reach. This happened maybe 5 or so times.

Anyway, with the bracket being so brittle, it ended up snapping. To get a replacement bracket is easy enough, but they are rare as hens teeth where I live. I drove to 7 different stores (with a loose sub in the back) to find a replacement bracket.

Everything is in, and I'm happy. Total install time, about 10 hours.

The downsides are - there is not enough slack in the quicksync harness to get my head unit out without cutting cable ties. There is not enough slack to unplug the amp without cutting my cable ties, removing the rear panel trim and pulling the lead through. I'm not liberal with cable ties - I have 2. One under the steering column, and one at the back near the earth.

This unit needs another 12" on it's quicksync harness. It's stupidly tight. It's cut too short. I'm not sure if there was no demo RHD unit when they developed it and they just went off a car plan, or my harness is shorter than normal.

The other slight disappointment is the rear of the sub, where the bolt attaches to the car. The actual hole in the sub does not have a flat top - so you end up damaging one side of the sub as you tighten in the bolt, and it's hard to tell how tight to go.

OEM Audio were not forthcoming with information for a prospective buyer, but when you have bought their unit, they do a great job of following up queries and making sure everything is in working (and great) order.

Somewhat ironic and frustrating that the prepurchase unanswered queries I had regarding right hand drive vehicles were directly related to the problems I had during the install.

Sound
5/5 stars

I had the stock head unit, but I ordered the OEM system with the Pioneer AVIC calibration. After setting the EQ to flat, the system sounded fantastic. Perhaps a little bass heavy, but perfect when driving. I have history as a sound engineer, music producer, and have experience with high end equipment, and a pretty sweet home theatre system. The OEM system clarity is comparable to MUCH higher cost systems.

I demoed the system to my mother (mid 60s). She said the system was "clear and crisp", which made me laugh a bit, because I'd seen a review video that made me roll my eyes at those buzz words. Her boyfriend said it was very "clean". Hah!

I've installed a Pioneer AVIC-F80DAB, a pair of Polk Audio 4" rear speakers ($110 AUD) and had my car sound deadened (Nitto). The sound quality is now amazing... the bass is no longer too heavy. It's perfect, stationary or moving.

The sound is so good, I find myself listening to music I wouldn't normally. I love my heavy metal and psytrance, and these sound stellar, but there is something awesome about driving through hills listening to smooth jazz.

I cannot say enough about how good the sound is. It's comparable to anything I've heard. The DSP magic this system has is really magic It can transport you to a concert or a studio.

This system will give you goosebumps.

Thanks for the awesome product OEM.

Last edited by softgrip; 04-22-2016 at 09:53 AM.
softgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to softgrip For This Useful Post:
bedabi (04-23-2016), dhuang (04-22-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 AM   #77
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Garage
Ugh been almost a month since ordering the mid 4" upgrade with no word of when it'll ship. Anyone else waiting 30+ days?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:08 AM   #78
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Ugh been almost a month since ordering the mid 4" upgrade with no word of when it'll ship. Anyone else waiting 30+ days?
Give them a call.
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #79
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
This. Give them a call. The response to email from OEM+ is fairly poor. You have to call to get things done.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #80
czechm8

Drives: Series 10 Fr-s #520
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Wow! What is the hold up?
czechm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #81
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Am I the only one? I'll e-mail first and call tomorrow if no response.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 04-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #82
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Am I the only one? I'll e-mail first and call tomorrow if no response.
Just call. Ext 4 gets u manager (Daniel). I'm on lik 6 week delay but got literally every single option they had and they got pushed back on strut tower option and some other supplier issues. Which is the reason for most delays
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #83
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
Just call. Ext 4 gets u manager (Daniel). I'm on lik 6 week delay but got literally every single option they had and they got pushed back on strut tower option and some other supplier issues. Which is the reason for most delays
E-mail got thru. Daniel responded quickly and got my package out the door by end of day. Shipped with 1 day shipping and should arrive today .
Old 04-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #84
memo90061

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I want to listen to these speakers. I think that's the only bothering me about my car right now. I think the audio is really bad compared to my old 2002 Mercedes. It had a Bose sound system, and it was very loud and I really loved the "surround" sound it produced. Want to get that "surround" feeling in my FR-S. I can't afford the system just yet though.
memo90061 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer