follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
Username

Drives: 6MT Raven FRS, Toyota SR5 V6 4x4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smart phone + FT86?

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster, blah blah...

So I was very excited when the FT86/BRZ was said to not come with any sort of stereo head unit and only an AUX input; since most people have smart phones for their sound and navigation needs anyways.

What kind of surprises me is the fact that there doesn't seem to be some specific place "intended" for the phone in the interior. Anyone else already starting to think of where they want to place theirs?

Also as the leaked training manual shows you can get the FT w/ just a blank filled space where the stereo is, yet the car will still have speakers and an AUX. So does that mean all of the volume control will just be worked off the plugged in device?

(let the newbie bashing commence, I will love this Forum anyway )
Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster, blah blah...

So I was very excited when the FT86/BRZ was said to not come with any sort of stereo head unit and only an AUX input; since most people have smart phones for their sound and navigation needs anyways.

What kind of surprises me is the fact that there doesn't seem to be some specific place "intended" for the phone in the interior. Anyone else already starting to think of where they want to place theirs?

Also as the leaked training manual shows you can get the FT w/ just a blank filled space where the stereo is, yet the car will still have speakers and an AUX. So does that mean all of the volume control will just be worked off the plugged in device?

(let the newbie bashing commence, I will love this Forum anyway )

Welcome to the Forum!

In the states the cars will probably come with a stereo and have bluetooth connection for the phone. If not, you will want some type of aftermarket deck that has bluetooth and and or Iphone\ipod connectivity if you have apple devices.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The aux input thing would probably be in the glove box and they would have steering wheel mounted controls for it.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Really? Cell phone placement?
-_____________-

If this topic holds value to you then i'd suggest just placing your smartphone in a cupholder. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
The aux input thing would probably be in the glove box and they would have steering wheel mounted controls for it.
Where is this stated? The interior pics show no wheel mounted controls what so ever.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
Username

Drives: 6MT Raven FRS, Toyota SR5 V6 4x4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
Really? Cell phone placement?
-_____________-

If this topic holds value to you then i'd suggest just placing your smartphone in a cupholder. Problem solved.
I am just happy that besides the price this really is my only concern about the car at the moment. Thanks to drooling over this site everyday, with all we already know I don't have much more to worry about for another week till the reveal.

You are right tho the cup holder is probably where my phone will live anyway....
Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 AM   #6
Chokonen888

Drives: Seibu Shinjuku Line
I just worry that the TRD version is going to come loaded with the navi unit and all the crap in there that I don't want. (don't need the added weight or cost) Plugging your cell into the car? Center console for your girlie to play DJ. That or buy a dash mount so you can use it for navigation as well.
Chokonen888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
Where is this stated? The interior pics show no wheel mounted controls what so ever.
The interior shot we have right now shows nothing on the wheels, they are clearly unfinished. As to how I know this it's kinda obvious, I mean where else are you going to put the controls? Plus this is a Scion, if you look at their cars steering wheel mounted controls and bluetooth both come standard.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
The interior shot we have right now shows nothing on the wheels, they are clearly unfinished. As to how I know this it's kinda obvious, I mean where else are you going to put the controls? Plus this is a Scion, if you look at their cars steering wheel mounted controls and bluetooth both come standard.

Uhhhh on the radio?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
ydooby

Drives: Toyota MR2 Supercharged
The storage in front of the cupholders looks perfect enough for a phone to me.
ydooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Finally people are forgetting that these leaked training brochures are just that, place holder training brochures. The car is still 7 months away from being released to the public and things in the interior and even exterior...ie tail lights...can change. And this brochure is for the Japanese FT86 which does not even have a real name yet. So in the states we could get a stereo with bluetooth and controls on the steering wheel.

Maybe we will know more in 8 days...

Ah once i look at that steering wheel, there is no place for and remote controls of the radio...
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
ydooby

Also, I think that if you choose to have no head unit at all, you just have to control the audio directly with your smart phone/digital music player. Don't think there'll be controls on the steering wheel.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
ydooby

Actually I just realized that it's a USB port and not an AUX port, which means that you have nothing to control your audio with if you plug in a USB drive (or any smart phone/digital music player that simply acts as a USB drive and doesn't support music control via USB). I'm now thinking that means that if you choose to have no head unit, you get no stereo at all, period. The USB port and the pre-installed speakers will be useless.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydooby View Post
Actually I just realized that it's a USB port and not an AUX port, which means that you have nothing to control your audio with if you plug in a USB drive (or any smart phone/digital music player that simply acts as a USB drive and doesn't support music control via USB). I'm now thinking that means that if you choose to have no head unit, you get no stereo at all, period. The USB port and the pre-installed speakers will be useless.

[img][/img]
That little picture thing under the USB indicator means AUX input
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
MrVito
Grumpy Old Man

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S, 2010 Tundra, 80 626
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
iPod