follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
reynierpm

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Auto Dimming Mirror from Subaru with HomeLink or not?

I have thinking on change my current rear view mirror with a Subaru one and now is the time to do it. but (there is always a but) I am not sure about which one should I buy.

I was looking here but there is a lot of them. I am assuming because BRZ and FRS/86 are siblings any will works.

I am willing to get one of this two or any of the shipper ones:

The only advantage I am seeing so far is the HomeLink stuff but again how I can be sure it will works 100% with the one we have in the community where I live? This is kind of a standard or what? I use a card to open the gate which sometimes is annoying.

Can I get some help? Which one would you buy?

PS: Thanks in advance

Last edited by reynierpm; 02-11-2018 at 05:02 PM.
reynierpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Cards are probably different than signals but I dunno. I do know my homelink stopped working for my garage when they replaced the garage opener with a new model. The new model uses a different set of frequencies or something. The good thing was my hand held opener works from further away now. The bad is that i would have to buy some signal adapter for my homelink to work and my garage opener can now be open from my apartment by accidentally hitting the button because the remote is more effective—too effective.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
reynierpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Cards are probably different than signals but I dunno. I do know my homelink stopped working for my garage when they replaced the garage opener with a new model. The new model uses a different set of frequencies or something. The good thing was my hand held opener works from further away now. The bad is that i would have to buy some signal adapter for my homelink to work and my garage opener can now be open from my apartment by accidentally hitting the button because the remote is more effective—too effective.
I do not have a garage but any way this explanation is valid for the front gate maybe I will get the one without HomeLink for now.

Thank you
Old 02-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
If you don't have dark rear window tint the auto dimmer works great. Aside from that, the garage door works every time for me.

Not sure about gates, depends what remote system they use.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
reynierpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
If you don't have dark rear window tint the auto dimmer works great. Aside from that, the garage door works every time for me.

Well this is a good point since I do have a tint on the rear window which makes me think if the whole dimming thing will works!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:52 AM   #6
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynierpm View Post
Well this is a good point since I do have a tint on the rear window which makes me think if the whole dimming thing will works!
I have 20% tint, and it still dims. If I had darker tint then it may not dim or if it did, it could be too dark.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
reynierpm

Quote:
I have 20% tint, and it still dims. If I had darker tint then it may not dim or if it did, it could be too dark.
I am not sure either about that percentage but I will take a picture (from outside and inside) and see if you can help me with that. Will do it later today!

Thank you

Last edited by reynierpm; 02-12-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
Maverick986

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have the one in your first link, and love the auto dim, but do not have tint. My garage door opener woks, for the most part. There are times I can open my garage door from 2-3 houses away when coming home, but have to sit and hold the button for a few seconds before by garage door will respond when backed into my driveway.

Quote:
I had trouble when setting my home link up. I tried programing home link with my door opened, and that didn't work. I had to program my garage door to my home link by pressing the program button on the garage door opener, then holding the home link button I was setting up.

Took a little extra work, and would have been easier with a second person, but home link works, and so do the door opener remotes.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Maverick986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick986 View Post
I have the one in your first link, and love the auto dim, but do not have tint. My garage door opener woks, for the most part. There are times I can open my garage door from 2-3 houses away when coming home, but have to sit and hold the button for a few seconds before by garage door will respond when backed into my driveway.

I had trouble when setting my home link up. I tried programing home link with my door opened, and that didn't work. I had to program my garage door to my home link by pressing the program button on the garage door opener, then holding the home link button I was setting up.

Took a little extra work, and would have been easier with a second person, but home link works, and so do the door opener remotes.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
My problem is that I need a bridge, apparently, and I really don't feel like paying for it because I have a remote garage, so I need to use a hand held remote anyways. When the apartment complex replaced my opener with a new unit, my Homelink could no communicate with the opener without this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICJER_qswbU"]HomeLink Compatibility Bridge Training - YouTube[/ame]

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...ibility-bridge
Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
reynierpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post

Here they are both pics from inside and outside (sorry because I didn't clean up my car recently)

https://ibb.co/b0U3Y7
https://ibb.co/bzsqD7

What do you think?