follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #15
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is a terrible financial move, and honestly, if you really want the car that bad, you will still be able to track one down when you are on better financial footing.
That being said, if you're gonna make a financial mistake, make it while you're young.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I DO NOT want to go to a doctor that can not make decisions on their own about buying a bloody car.
Jfheisenberg (02-21-2017), ToySub1946 (02-21-2017), why? (02-22-2017), ~el~jefe~ (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #17
richie incognito

Drives: BRZ- all the colours
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You say you are going to be a doctor, how do you know? you are 19 years old. Have you written an MCAT? are you in the 98th percentile? I know doctors, and they didnt know they would be doctors when they were 19. They wanted to be doctors, but that is a very different thing. Getting into Med school in Canada is no walk in the park.

When i was in school obtaining my degree I made some questionable financial decisions. It was very much a situation of future me paying for the fun current me was having. But i had a pretty clear path without anything as significant as waiting to confirm whether I would be accepted into my program in the way.

To be honest, you don't seem to grasp the your path or where you will actually be. Your suggestion that once your a doctor you wont be able to afford a BRZ due to crippling student debt is entirely inaccurate. You sound like a 19 year old which is good.

When i was 18-21 i owned a series of 10-15 year old cars that I tried to turn into race cars that either failed horribly for obvious reasons or were driven into a wall/pole etc. Did this until I had no money. but all difference between all the money I had and zero money wasnt really a big stretch. Was it smart? No, but I wouldnt go back and do it differently, and it was probably a better move than strapping myself to some 60-70 month car loan.
richie incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richie incognito For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-21-2017), Yardjass (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #18
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OP did you ask your dad for advice first? What did he say?

Your dad probably knows you best and would provide much better advice than a bunch of strangers from a forum on the Internet.

My stranger advice is don't do it if you need to ask such a question since you won't have a comfortable time financially owning this car.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #19
lawlei

Drives: Series.Yellow BRZ
Garage
I'm 23 and just bought a series.yellow. If you're trying to buy one of these, you should wait until you get a full-time job after college. So many things change between 19 and your first job. And even then, you need to adjust for paying for rent, bills, utilities, everything and then decide whether or not you can afford it.
lawlei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lawlei For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie incognito View Post
You say you are going to be a doctor, how do you know? you are 19 years old. Have you written an MCAT? are you in the 98th percentile? I know doctors, and they didnt know they would be doctors when they were 19. They wanted to be doctors, but that is a very different thing. Getting into Med school in Canada is no walk in the park.

When i was in school obtaining my degree I made some questionable financial decisions. It was very much a situation of future me paying for the fun current me was having. But i had a pretty clear path without anything as significant as waiting to confirm whether I would be accepted into my program in the way.

To be honest, you don't seem to grasp the your path or where you will actually be. Your suggestion that once your a doctor you wont be able to afford a BRZ due to crippling student debt is entirely inaccurate. You sound like a 19 year old which is good.

When i was 18-21 i owned a series of 10-15 year old cars that I tried to turn into race cars that either failed horribly for obvious reasons or were driven into a wall/pole etc. Did this until I had no money. but all difference between all the money I had and zero money wasnt really a big stretch. Was it smart? No, but I wouldnt go back and do it differently, and it was probably a better move than strapping myself to some 60-70 month car loan.
QFT. The OP is 19, lots of life ahead of him before he gets into med school. Life can happen, things can change.

As someone who has (and continues to) make bad decisions, the OP needs to save his money and continue to drive whatever he has now, or if he doesn't currently have a vehicle, buy a cheap and reliable one that'll last throughout your schooling.

If you become a doctor at age 32, you'll be able to easily afford a BRZ, despite having student loans to pay for.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #21
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I DO NOT want to go to a doctor that can not make decisions on their own about buying a bloody car.
Should i remove this wart on his hands or his nuts! I cannot decide!
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #22
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If getting the car is going to improve your quality of life, I say go for it. I would recommend buying a car off the forum as most people on here, while they might drive them hard, have taken good care of it along the way. Personally, I would rather buy a car that has been beaten on but well maintained than someone who didn't know the oil change interval but babied the thing around the city.

You are young; if the car is worth it to you, you will find a way to make it work. Luckily if you search and find a good deal on a '14 or '15, you won't be in too deep of a financial hole if something goes terribly wrong.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your decision to make. If it's worth it to you, do it. I pulled the trigger on this car when I wasn't financially ready and figured everything out afterwards. But I knew I absolutely loved the car and was willing to sacrifice whatever I had to in order to get a car that I was obsessed with.

Good luck with whatever decision you end up making!
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #23
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just run some simple numbers... if you do not have 2x your car payment available every month as disposable income to cover all things car-related, you should not be buying this (or any) car w/ a car payment.

The 2x can budget for anything from insurance, gas, simple maintenance, to unforeseen things like crashes, damage not covered by insurance/warranty, etc.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #24
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
So here's the deal:

I had a similar situation as you for a long time. I was 19 or 20-ish when I first learned about the twins and reeeally wanted one. That was about 4 or 5 years ago.

At first I thought "well, I think I can afford it" and I got super into the idea of owning one early.

Turns out the costs would really get prohibitively expensive unless you're honestly pretty affluent. I don't mean rich, but have a decent source of income. Since you're in school, I'm guessing you have to pay (whether that's your parents, scholarships, or loans that pay) tuition bills.

I highly recommend taking a pass on this car for now, getting a job if you don't have one, and working your way up. Save some money now if you can and buy a cheaper car.

For me personally, I ended up working all through college, saved if/whenever I could, and am finally buying the car now (graduated late last year and have a full time career job now).

Don't push it unless you know you'll be comfortable affording the costs.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #25
FujiwaraTofu86

Drives: gt86
So im 23, Graduated 1 years ago.
Started college at 19, same in your situation
I work part time 30/week hour while maintaining full time school.
I actually had a car but I SOLD it before I started school and took public transit for 3 years, school is a whole lot of stress man the last thing you need is to worry about your financial situation. OR worst you might have to work more to pay for the car, then your schooling will go down the drain.

Just wait till you're graduated. that's what I did.
FujiwaraTofu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FujiwaraTofu86 For This Useful Post:
spike021 (02-21-2017), why? (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #26
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlei View Post
I'm 23 and just bought a series.yellow. If you're trying to buy one of these, you should wait until you get a full-time job after college. So many things change between 19 and your first job. And even then, you need to adjust for paying for rent, bills, utilities, everything and then decide whether or not you can afford it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiwaraTofu86 View Post
I actually had a car but I SOLD it before I started school and took public transit for 3 years, school is a whole lot of stress man the last thing you need is to worry about your financial situation. OR worst you might have to work more to pay for the car, then your schooling will go down the drain.

This times a million. It needs to be repeated for everyone that is around our age and wants a new car. I'm 22 and started my full time position in January. I ordered the car in November because I knew that after my graduation in december I already had my full time position lined up, I knew a ballpark of what my salary would be, and I knew exactly how much I could afford. After a lot of consideration for how much I wanted to spend on modifications, what my insurance cost would be, what my average monthly gas cost would be, I pulled the trigger on an order for the 17 BRZ with performance package.

Buying a car isn't really something that a fresh graduate can do on impulse, it really takes a lot of planning to make sure you don't screw yourself financially.

Last edited by mjanmohammad; 02-22-2017 at 02:44 PM.
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjanmohammad For This Useful Post:
spike021 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I was 41 years old before I could afford my first new car.
Life is a real bitch sometimes.
why? (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #28
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiwaraTofu86 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanmohammad View Post
This times a million. It needs to be repeated for everyone that is around our age and wants a new car. I'm 22 and started my full time position in January. I ordered the car in November because I knew that after my graduation I already had my full time position lined up, I knew a ballpark of what my salary would be, and I knew exactly how much I could afford. After a lot of consideration for how much I wanted to spend on modifications, what my insurance cost would be, what my average monthly gas cost would be, I pulled the trigger on an order for the 17 BRZ with performance package.

Buying a car isn't really something that a fresh graduate can do on impulse, it really takes a lot of planning to make sure you don't screw yourself financially.
Agreed on all of these.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote