follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #197
PhastekSport

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to PhastekSport Send a message via Yahoo to PhastekSport
30-45 degrees... I think they could have tried a little harder than that for the temperature range.

Found on another site:

"I'm looking at the Chemical Compatability Chart of my Lab Safety Supply catalog. Compatibility is sometimes affected by temperature. For RIGID PVC and gasoline, it states:

At temp 20C (68F): Good (scale of Xlnt/Gd/Fair/Not Recommended)
At temp 50C (122F): NR"

Source: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=547427

I applaud the DIY stuff. Especially when someone can easily afford the catch can as the Camaro owner who spent at least $7k on that Whipple. His approach to the solution has sparked more thinking in the community which is great.

Radium products are really nice though. If you want something you can purchase that is well engineered and setup to work right out of the box. It's also good to have those options available.
PhastekSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #198
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
In hand gun terms, Radium products would be comparable to an HK, you pay a premium for a premium piece.
Did not want an HK until I shot one. So expensive.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #199
Andreas83

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Did not want an HK until I shot one. So expensive.
The HK416 i received a couple of years ago is one of the finest engineered firearm I have ever laid my hands on.
But I still miss the good old HK G3 we used in service over here before.

Well, enough off topic.
Can anyone verify if the new radium setup works together with hood struts?
It sure looks like its going to be a tight fit combined...
I have a grimmspeed kit installed in my brz.
Andreas83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #200
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I wont have mine until next weekend and I'll likely have to get longer bolts before I can consider installing it.

I also have the hood struts.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #201
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
If you are worried about cost clearly these are not the cans for you.
Theres a difference between broke and cheap.

I've bought a handful of expensive catch can solutions in the past on other cars, and always was left wondering why the hell I had just paid $2-300 for a tin can with some condensing media and a bracket.

Nowhere have i shit on the radium product. I just have an issue justifying roughly $450 after shipping on some hose, 2 brackets and 2 cans. They have every right to make a profit and price their product where they want. I have every right to giggle and try fill my engine with fumes from dissolving pvc.

Anyway if i wasn't making myself scarce and keeping busy with stupid projects I'd probably be expected to help clean the house. Just wait till i put up pics of the diy corner balance rig with 16 $8 walmart scales I made this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhastekSport View Post
30-45 degrees... I think they could have tried a little harder than that for the temperature range.

Found on another site:

"I'm looking at the Chemical Compatability Chart of my Lab Safety Supply catalog. Compatibility is sometimes affected by temperature. For RIGID PVC and gasoline, it states:

At temp 20C (68F): Good (scale of Xlnt/Gd/Fair/Not Recommended)
At temp 50C (122F): NR"

Source: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=547427
Awesome, thanks for info. Pretty sure theres a wireless thermometer around here somewhere, that should be able to help with finding proper locations.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #202
Stevo22

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
So I just got done installing this kit right here. Every part of the kit has amazing quality. The only complaint I have and it can be seen in this stock picture is it is going to be hard to unscrew the catch can part to empty the can with this positioning. I have small hands it is a tight fit even after unscrewing the lines. That is really the only major issue I found. There are a few other minor issues but nothing worth noting.

Stevo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevo22 For This Useful Post:
normancw (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #203
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo22 View Post
So I just got done installing this kit right here. Every part of the kit has amazing quality. The only complaint I have and it can be seen in this stock picture is it is going to be hard to unscrew the catch can part to empty the can with this positioning. I have small hands it is a tight fit even after unscrewing the lines. That is really the only major issue I found. There are a few other minor issues but nothing worth noting.

Glad you brought this up. Looking at the wire harness below the can before ordering, I decided to pick up the petcock drain kit to help with clearing it out. I hope there is room for it though...
The Following User Says Thank You to that_guy For This Useful Post:
normancw (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #204
Stevo22

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Glad you brought this up. Looking at the wire harness below the can before ordering, I decided to pick up the petcock drain kit to help with clearing it out. I hope there is room for it though...

There should be room for it. The wiring harness sits below and kind of between the fender and the catch can. I will try to get some pictures of my setup a lunch and upload them. Also not from the picture the orientation of the top barb (which is easily rotated out of the way) is right above the oil dipstick. It is not a big deal, but worth stating.
Stevo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #205
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Your not going to need to dump it out very often....took me 6 months to get ~ 1/4" fluid level in the can. That would mean several years before really needing to dump it...
normancw (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #206
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
several years before really needing to dump it
Terrible advice

How many miles do you drive, do you drive hard? Texas I'm guessing also doesn't have the increase in collected water that catch cans see in cold climates.
What works for you and your driving doesn't necessarily work for anyone else.

Usually a pretty good way to go is to drain/check the can during oil changes. Or at least till you have an idea of how fast a can is filling. A good can design shouldn't take more than a minute or two to drain, no reason what so ever to let sit a "couple years"

Letting it fill also may mean the risk of drawing fluid back through I.e. During spirited driving, let alone the reduction in fan volume and it's potential reduction on effectiveness, or the increased freezing risk during winter
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to utekineir For This Useful Post:
Vracer111 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #207
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I installed my kit a few nights ago. Quality, no problems installing at all. Sure draining won't be easy but it's 3 easy bolts to undo, pop it out and unscrew. Ill just put it in with my oil changes. Took about 15 min including cutting and installing the hoses.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #208
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Ill take pics in the day. Like my oil cooler and my grimmspeed brake brace, the catch can in black is very low key and Oem looking. Popping the hood on my car looks stock accept for the trained eye.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #209
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
Terrible advice

How many miles do you drive, do you drive hard? Texas I'm guessing also doesn't have the increase in collected water that catch cans see in cold climates.
What works for you and your driving doesn't necessarily work for anyone else.

Usually a pretty good way to go is to drain/check the can during oil changes. Or at least till you have an idea of how fast a can is filling. A good can design shouldn't take more than a minute or two to drain, no reason what so ever to let sit a "couple years"

Letting it fill also may mean the risk of drawing fluid back through I.e. During spirited driving, let alone the reduction in fan volume and it's potential reduction on effectiveness, or the increased freezing risk during winter
I see where you are coming from and didn't think through the proper level you should let it get to. My comment was merely on the level reaching a certain point in the can and how long it would take to get there... I don't think I'd actually go 2+ years since I check it once a week and it's easy to get to and dump anyways. Every oil change is indeed a good time.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #210
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Here is the updated video showing new cans:

Radium Master Cylinder Install and Catch Can Demo

VIDEO

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6svcEF_GQE&"]Radium Brace and Catch Can Install | FR-S and S2000 | S02E01 - YouTube[/ame]

The Catch Cans

Radium has now released their official plug and play kit for the S2000 and FR-S and BRZ which means you can finally install these kits without having to make your own brackets. Quality is top notch and cans are pressure tested for forced induction applications and also baffled.

It is the only can with built in dip stick to check oil and fluid level.
After running these cans on three cars for several years, they have maintained their seals and also been able to suspend oil and unburned fuel without ever servicing the stainless steel screens or pads.