follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Legend@wheels
nenber

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
gear knob -options

hi
i want to order a new gear knob for my brz
what are the pros and cons of tall gear knob and short gear knob?

any recommendtion for a tiny knob OR taller knob(as you recommended)would be much appreciated.
so far ive put my eyes on the Tomei 60mm(SS).
Legend@wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tall gear knob - harder to reach for reverse lever. Due longer lever, both con of longer throws, and pro of easier to put into gear (long lever=more force). Lever closer to steering wheel, easier to reach when enthusiastically driving, but also in way of AC & audio controls. Also not so much right at the reach for those that like resting elbow on (if installed) center console armrest, when dd cruising. Long knob - cheapest option to relocate closer to steering wheel for sporty driving with shorter/quicker movement from steering wheel to shifter, but with cons above.

Shorter knob .. hmm. Easier to reach in some of cases. No pros but no cons. Shifts stay short as stock. Easier to reach reverse lever. Imho most install such only for two reasons - better look & heavier weight. When choosing one, i suggest to get "hybrid" ones, with metallic core for weight & plastic surround, to not burn or freeze hand in hot summer/cold winter, if not wearing gloves.

I'd probably choose stock, which isn't really that bad and costs nothing, or short aftermarket for looks & weight .. but if i'd need pros of long knob, i'd probably think of shifter kits (much more expensive though), that will not just relocate higher/closer to wheel, but also will make shifts shorter and more precise. For example IRP shifter or CAE Ultra shifter.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-09-2018), Legend@wheels (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Legend@wheels
nenber

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Tall gear knob - harder to reach for reverse lever. Due longer lever, both con of longer throws, and pro of easier to put into gear (long lever=more force). Lever closer to steering wheel, easier to reach when enthusiastically driving, but also in way of AC & audio controls. Also not so much right at the reach for those that like resting elbow on (if installed) center console armrest, when dd cruising. Long knob - cheapest option to relocate closer to steering wheel for sporty driving with shorter/quicker movement from steering wheel to shifter, but with cons above.

Shorter knob .. hmm. Easier to reach in some of cases. No pros but no cons. Shifts stay short as stock. Easier to reach reverse lever. Imho most install such only for two reasons - better look & heavier weight. When choosing one, i suggest to get "hybrid" ones, with metallic core for weight & plastic surround, to not burn or freeze hand in hot summer/cold winter, if not wearing gloves.

I'd probably choose stock, which isn't really that bad and costs nothing, or short aftermarket for looks & weight .. but if i'd need pros of long knob, i'd probably think of shifter kits (much more expensive though), that will not just relocate higher/closer to wheel, but also will make shifts shorter and more precise. For example IRP shifter or CAE Ultra shifter.
thx
''for the weight'' by that you mean for heavier or lighter weight?
whats the pros on having a heavier gear knob ?
and you also said stock is cheap -i would like to get a new stock one but they are very pricey from what ive found..
and also after few months they start to make some crazy rattle noises
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
churchx

Hmm. Heavier supposedly enhances shifting feel, by inertia of mass of shifter/knob making easier to get into gear. Some write it off as gimmickry, some like/want that. As in general most aftermarket shift knobs are heavier then stock, being heavy billet knobs, i guess, majority of buyers like them such. Though i'd still leaning not going for absolute heaviest possible weight, but for those "hybrid", for described previously more comfort in temp extremes.

"Stock is cheap" - as in you already have it. Keep using it w/o paying anything extra . IIRC what sometimes rattles in them is plastic cap with shift pattern. Try googling on how/if it can be fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Legend@wheels (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Cubix

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Hmm. Heavier supposedly enhances shifting feel, by inertia of mass of shifter/knob making easier to get into gear. Some write it off as gimmickry, some like/want that. As in general most aftermarket shift knobs are heavier then stock, being heavy billet knobs, i guess, majority of buyers like them such. Though i'd still leaning not going for absolute heaviest possible weight, but for those "hybrid", for described previously more comfort in temp extremes.

"Stock is cheap" - as in you already have it. Keep using it w/o paying anything extra . IIRC what sometimes rattles in them is plastic cap with shift pattern. Try googling on how/if it can be fixed.
My opinion is that a heavier knob will lessen shifter feel just due to the inertia. I have a lighter than stock Beatrush duracon shifter right now and you can really feel the transmission through it.
Cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubix For This Useful Post:
Legend@wheels (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Legend@wheels
nenber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubix View Post
My opinion is that a heavier knob will lessen shifter feel just due to the inertia. I have a lighter than stock Beatrush duracon shifter right now and you can really feel the transmission through it.
yeah like the tomei i mentioned before-duracon too and lighter.
i think heavier knobs is more wear to the collars and in put more load in general .
Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
churchx

Just like many "feel" changers/enhancers, it is subjective preference. Some prefer more feel of how it moves, some - smoother movement of heavy knob. But imho the best "feel" is provided by those IRP & CAE shifters by quick and precise switch-like shifts, but they cost a lot. IRP costs less but some had rattling issues. CAE needs some cutting of midconsole trim to fit.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Almost entirely personal preference.
Like asking what's the fastest color, or what giant wing makes quicker quarter mile times.

Giant knobs take up cabin space, a tiny one may get lost under the sofa.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I also want to second that a tall knob makes using the reverse lockout something you need to adapt to. Other than that, unless you get some super 1337 JDMy0 2' knob, it's just preference. Tall ones put you more at risk of hitting your hand into the dash.

Heavier requires less effort, lighter gives you more feel. Look at the interior pictures thread and see what people use - you may find your answer there.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Legend@wheels (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i've been through 3 shift knobs.

my primary goal was a shift knob that wasn't so temperamentally cold/hot based on transmission or sunlight temperature.

1st was a trd-style shift knob.

it worked fine, but i found the alumimum plate too hot/cold on top. it was identical to the oem shift knob, just with a different top plate.

2nd was carbon fiber style similar to this, but internally threaded.

that required an adapter to fill the space between it and reverse lockout so i could still lift the lockout, and it didn't look ugly

i was generally happy with the knob, but found that the setup was way too tall for my preference. i found my arm floating more than using my arm rest between shifts, which resulted in a sore shoulder.

so for the last shifter, i went as low profile as i possibly could. i went with an acrylic twistedshifterz ball. https://www.twistedshifterz.com/coll...lue-shift-knob

they used to have an option for 12x1.25 thread, with the reverse lockout drilling, which resulted in a lower profile shift knob than even the stock knob.

the smooth texture left a little to be desired, so i added a silicone grip around it, but other than that, it's the same shift knob i've been running for almost 3 years now.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
check out Raceseng.com
They just had their once a year sale of 20% off and free shipping.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:32 AM   #12
Legend@wheels
nenber

right now i have cobb one's .
i think ill order some light and tiny knob -looks like it might fit to my personal wishes.
cheers mates