follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #155
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Fair enough, although I'd say the government is more than allowing, it's incentivizing one thing over another, picking winners and losers when buyers should be free to choose without government entering the calculation.

It was one of my tax guy's talking points, how much his actual net cost was after Fed and State credits when those same two entities are always crying about deficits.

If that's what it takes to move Teslas, let Musk pony up cash incentives as all the other manufacturers do except for those also produce vehicles eligible for tax credits.

But I'm in the flat/fair tax and balanced budget camp.
I absolutely agree the a credit for purchasing a specific consumer item should not be on the books (I have less of an issue with the hospital tax credit since it goes towards something more "the common good"). Just wanted to provide some clarity around the tax credit item.

I'm also in the flat/fair tax/balanced budget camp.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Atmo (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #156
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So go to school, take tax accounting, work your way up the ranks with crap pay and long hours, finally make it to a level where you can buy a Model S then complain that you make so much you are taxed at a 40% rate instead of those lucky working stiffs that only pay 23%.
Easy.
Even easier is what my tax guy did, established his business and residence in WA = no income tax and registered his car to a trust in OR = no sales tax.

Quote:
Or maybe there is some sort of government set up where everybody earns the same no matter what their education, experience or job is. Not sure that has historically worked out well though.
That was implemented in Seattle with their $15-$16/hr. minimum wage law. The numbers are in and show that hundreds lost jobs, many of the rest got hours reduced, and some businesses either closed up shop or moved out of Seattle.

The WA governor thought it was a great program. He's now running for president.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #157
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I want one. Reliability be damned. That said, I already have too many cars and I'm trying to save up to buy a house.
I have zero interest in any car who's interior cockpit design looks like this regardless of what is driving the wheels...

Old 03-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #158
Interlocker

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I have zero interest in any car who's interior cockpit design looks like this regardless of what is driving the wheels...
That completely looks like they designed the interior and then said, "Oh, sh**! We forgot to put in any gauges. Hand me that iPad."
Interlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Interlocker For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #159
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Even easier is what my tax guy did, established his business and residence in WA = no income tax and registered his car to a trust in OR = no sales tax.

That was implemented in Seattle with their $15-$16/hr. minimum wage law. The numbers are in and show that hundreds lost jobs, many of the rest got hours reduced, and some businesses either closed up shop or moved out of Seattle.

The WA governor thought it was a great program. He's now running for president.
Same happened here. Prices went up and fewer people got jobs. The party that put it in place was voted out the next election.
Dadhawk (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #160
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/imag...d2-750-500.jpg
I prefer simpler dashes and big screens. I carry around an 18" laptop everyday. So a 15" tablet doesn't bother me. One big display is better to me than several useless gauges.

Never forget that the FRS/BRZ has an analog speedometer right next to the digital speedometer. And the infotainment on the BRZ is basically an oversized radio. I love the way it drives but the interior is not my favorite part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #161
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I prefer simpler dashes and big screens. I carry around an 18" laptop everyday. So a 15" tablet doesn't bother me. One big display is better to me than several useless gauges.

Never forget that the FRS/BRZ has an analog speedometer right next to the digital speedometer. And the infotainment on the BRZ is basically an oversized radio. I love the way it drives but the interior is not my favorite part.
If I want to watch TV I can do it in my living room.

But this Tesla interior is a library study room at best.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #162
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I prefer simpler dashes and big screens. I carry around an 18" laptop everyday. So a 15" tablet doesn't bother me. One big display is better to me than several useless gauges. .
It's not the digital display but it's placement that I don't like. I love the digital displays in aircraft, for example. I would have no issue with a display that shows useful and relevant driver's information (and maybe even configurable) in the more traditional location. This design is obviously aimed at the eventuality of the driverless car.

Also, the fact the EVERYTHING in the car is controlled from the panel has zero interest to me. A glovebox should be able to be opened from the glovebox itself, not require you to use the touchscreen.

This is all about cost for Tesla, not about ergonomics or the driving experience.

And no, I would not purchase any of the ICE cars that also have just a central display or the primary instruments in the middle location.

If the consumer that purchases it is happy with it, that's OK. I just won't be that consumer unless there is zero other choices.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #163
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
This design is obviously aimed at the eventuality of the driverless car.
End Game == Tesla + Hyperloop

krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-16-2019), Tcoat (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #164
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The party that put it in place was voted out the next election.
The entire West Coast of the US is essentially a one-party nation unto itself courtesy of so-called "sanctuary" state status, driver's licenses for anyone, motor voter laws, vote by mail and ballot harvesting. It won't change anytime soon.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #165
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
End Game == Tesla + Hyperloop

And Sandmen?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #166
Atmo

What bugs me about the newer multimedia systems from all manufacturers is the data they collect and then use or resell to third parties without consent.

Here's what Toyota does with your data but you won't find this on their main site. You have to click through two other separate sites to get here:

https://www.toyota.com/privacyvts/

It's another reason why I like the simpler system in the 86 plus the ability to swap readily available HU's.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #167
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
By this logic, if all that matters is total jobs for a metric of economic health then they should just remove the minimum wage (state and federal). Companies would pour into the state for the ability to pay their workers $3/hr and the health of the economy and job market would be amazing, except people wouldn稚 have enough money to live.

Ahh, but you then argue that the glut of jobs and lack of workers would drive up wages until an equilibrium was made, and you would be correct. The question is how many jobs and what wages would there be at such an equilibrium? Less wages but more jobs or more wages but less jobs?

The rich will always try to get richer and screw the little guy to do it. This is a fact. They need to be reigned in so they don稚 cause social instability. Creating a living wage from the minimum wage means people who want to work will be able to live.

覧覧覧覧-

On a separate note, the new Model Y looks good. A used Model X or a Model Y is a top contender for a replacement car for the wife. Paying attention to Audi too, but for the first time in my life I may actual say I値l try to buy American and go with a Telsa.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #168
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
By this logic, if all that matters is total jobs...
Didn't say that or any of the rest. Governments can only pluck the golden geese so far before bad things happen. What matters is a business-friendly environment that considers taxation and regulatory effects on everyone. What happens instead is politicians do the opposite, increase taxes and regulations so businesses and employees leave.

Over 1,800 businesses left tax and regulation-heavy CA for business-friendly TX last year alone. Toyota fled a few years ago and relocated thousands of high earners from Torrance, CA to Plano, TX.

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...s-leave-taxes/