follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Airbag light from removing Airbag controller - any effect on performance?

Hello fellow track rats!

In the process of stripping out the BRZ track car, I came to the airbag controller that lives in front of the shifter, with the yellow connectors. Looks like there are looms running to each seat belt sensors, etc. Unplugging the airbag box obviously results in an airbag light - which is a surprise, as I've had an 86Nanny in the car programmed to defeat it for a while.

So without the airbag controller plugged in, even what the 86nanny is doing doesn't defeat it - which is fine by me, as it no longer sees the street. BUT - is there any effect to the car's performance with an airbag light on? Engine output, ABS, anything?

I searched but mostly found "use electrical tape to cover the abs light" responses

Thanks,
Joe V
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:21 PM   #2
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Should not affect anything performance related.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Joesurf79 (05-01-2018), strat61caster (03-18-2019)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Joesurf79

I hope that's the case, the car is on jack stands and I haven't driven it yet without it. Some dash lights (abs / traction control warning) popped up after the car got down the street a bit when I put the steering column back together one spline off. Wasn't sure if the dash Christmas Tree would illuminate a block from the garage without the airbag module. Didn't want to get caught in limp mode and have to splice things back into the harness haha!
Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
AndyBRZ

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ Track Car
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
To your question, the airbag will not affect performance.
I removed all my airbags and the module itself because my BRZ is caged.
You say that you have abs/traction control warning on because you were one tooth off in the steering. Did you fix it? Are you sure your clock spring did not come off? If the clock spring came off you will need a new one and then have the dealer clear the codes.
AndyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Joesurf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBRZ View Post
To your question, the airbag will not affect performance.
I removed all my airbags and the module itself because my BRZ is caged.
You say that you have abs/traction control warning on because you were one tooth off in the steering. Did you fix it? Are you sure your clock spring did not come off? If the clock spring came off you will need a new one and then have the dealer clear the codes.
So the whole story with the column - pulling the dash beam to get the HVAC equip out of the car, I unbolted the steering column from the beam, and the wheel slid forward in my hands - clockspring and all - right off the shaft. I slid it back on, finished gutting the dash, and then started driving and the lights were on - with the wheel obviously no longer centered. Pulled it off again, rotated one tooth and put it back. Drove around the block, no more lights. I'm guessing the clockspring didn't agree with a steering sensor in the rack and it freaked. But no matter what it was it's been fine for multiple events now

I have a rollbar, race buckets, 6 pts etc in the car. It's track only from here on out
Old 03-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post
So the whole story with the column - pulling the dash beam to get the HVAC equip out of the car, I unbolted the steering column from the beam, and the wheel slid forward in my hands - clockspring and all - right off the shaft. I slid it back on, finished gutting the dash, and then started driving and the lights were on - with the wheel obviously no longer centered. Pulled it off again, rotated one tooth and put it back. Drove around the block, no more lights. I'm guessing the clockspring didn't agree with a steering sensor in the rack and it freaked. But no matter what it was it's been fine for multiple events now

I have a rollbar, race buckets, 6 pts etc in the car. It's track only from here on out
Crap! I am in the same situation. Couldnt get the ABS light back on. Tried resetting the computer etc. After failed attempt dropped to the dealer.

Dealer called they are unable to communicate with the car since it has the Airbag Module removed. This is how it communicates with the ABS etc.

Reading this it appears there is no correlation? First event this weekend

PS: Airbag out, stripped and caged the car. Accidently removed clockspring and this is where we are at.

TIA

Lutfy
@Joesurf79 @Code Monkey @AndyBRZ TIA
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Not an expert on it and I keep my interior stock-ish but there should be no effect on car performance.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Crap! I am in the same situation. Couldnt get the ABS light back on. Tried resetting the computer etc. After failed attempt dropped to the dealer.

Dealer called they are unable to communicate with the car since it has the Airbag Module removed. This is how it communicates with the ABS etc.

Reading this it appears there is no correlation? First event this weekend

PS: Airbag out, stripped and caged the car. Accidently removed clockspring and this is where we are at.

TIA

Lutfy
@Joesurf79 @Code Monkey @AndyBRZ TIA
Try this lufty [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQAB_qVIQ0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQAB_qVIQ0[/ame]. TL;DR unbolt the battery and join the two terminals of the car (without the battery of course) and let them sit together for 20-25 minutes, it should reset airbag related codes. I havent tried it yet because my car is still frozen over but I also have an ABS light due to a loose sensor on my last track day, hoping it fixes it for me and for you as well.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
There is a chance that the car needs to be re-zeroed(whatever Toyota calls it) with Techstream(try searching, the download is available). I had to do this with my car when I replaced the clockspring/angle sensor. I’d be surprised if Toyota can’t communicate with the car due to the airbag module but I guess it isn’t out of the realm of possibility.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:06 AM   #10
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post
There is a chance that the car needs to be re-zeroed(whatever Toyota calls it) with Techstream(try searching, the download is available). I had to do this with my car when I replaced the clockspring/angle sensor. I’d be surprised if Toyota can’t communicate with the car due to the airbag module but I guess it isn’t out of the realm of possibility.
Thanks! Airbag apparently didn’t have to do anything with it. We had to put in a new clock spring kit and solved the issue.

Litfy
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote