follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #99
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
so you are saying that the SAS system works straight from the dealership floor? no modifications necessary to make it run?
Yes. Thought that was clear too?
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #100
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
but in a ridiculously non-linear fashion. and THAT is more important than peak numbers for MOST people.

Probably, but good enough for 270hp it is. TRD once made a turbo kit (didn't release it though)for the 1.6 4AGE. Output? About 260ps. Blitz also made a kit ($$$$$$$$$$$, powerband 3000-8000rpm) which could support 300+hp (dyno tested 255whp). I don't see why 10+ years of development and Direct Injection couldn't make a tractable, driveable, torquey small displacement engine
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #101
Type[R]+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Probably, but good enough for 270hp it is. TRD once made a turbo kit (didn't release it though)for the 1.6 4AGE. Output? About 260ps. Blitz also made a kit ($$$$$$$$$$$, powerband 3000-8000rpm) which could support 300+hp (dyno tested 255whp). I don't see why 10+ years of development and Direct Injection couldn't make a tractable, driveable, torquey small displacement engine
Just look at a Honda B16A turbo dyno chart.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #102
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type[R]+ View Post
Yes. Thought that was clear too?
ok i know where the confusion is now. im talking about the WRC style "real" antilag. if you're talking about JUST the sas system then yes one could see it as having "antilag", but its not really antilag.

its kinda like a machine gun that can only fire semi auto. yeah its a machine gun but its not really a machine gun... depends on how you look at it i guess...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #103
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
one word: warranty. like i said anything is possible with aftermarket. we need to talk about only 2 things. what it comes from the factory, and what it can support afterwards (ie: tuning potential). and on both counts 1.6L is already at a disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type[R]+ View Post
Just look at a Honda B16A turbo dyno chart.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
ummm... yes there is. everything is up top. making good power in only a portion of the rev range is not exactly ideal...

PS: i used multiquote just for you Blur :happy0180:
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #104
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Meh...BC rarely reports on anything that either makes production or pertains to US Market anyways. I find them quite annoying actually.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #105
Type[R]+

Quote:
ok i know where the confusion is now. im talking about the WRC style "real" antilag. if you're talking about JUST the sas system then yes one could see it as having "antilag", but its not really antilag.

its kinda like a machine gun that can only fire semi auto. yeah its a machine gun but its not really a machine gun... depends on how you look at it i guess...
JDM does sound like that if you de-cat.

But if you really want full blown rally style anti lag, take a look at the Lancia Delta Integrale. That car is bliss!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #106
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
When I talk about larger displacment NA engine, I mean aftermarket, for example the 2.2l EJ20 engine kits, from HKS, Tomei, Crossworh and such. I hope ther will also be this for the FR-86/BRZ, of course the gains will be low compared to what you have to pay for it.

As I understood, the WRX is to get a 270 PS Turbo 1.6l H4 and the WRX STI to get 300 PS. For me it is very plausible and there is nothing to discuss about. I believe Subaru will come out with a very satisfying result, just as I think BMW will come out with a very briliant first Tripple Turbo 3.2l I6 or 3.3l V6 (not yet decided) for the coming M3. There are many "slightly" modded Mini Cooper S's that run 250 PS. The BMW 320si TC (E90) and the Mini Countryman Cooper S WRC both run their 1,6l Turbo I4 over 300 PS (yes those are racecars but anyway).

I think the greatest preoccupation is the weight. I am worried, the Alfa Romeo 4C is confirmed to have a dry weight of 850 kg. It's engine is a Turbo MultiAir 1,7l I4 that makes over 200 PS. It permits the 4C to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in less than 5 sec and have max speed above 250 km/h. It is more expensive? For us in Europe it will be about 30.000 €, but it is not much compared how much faster it is, to the 25.000 € Toyota FR-86. The TOYOBARU better be really very light.

Now about the WRX, it will not be based n the Impreza. Does this mean it could be based on the BRZ? In other words it would then be an AWD BRZ.

Could I be right in thinking this way?

BRZ: RWD, NA 2.0l
BRZ STI: RWD, FI 1.6l
WRX: AWD, FI 1.6l
WRX STI: AWD, FI 1.6l

What then about Toyota?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #107
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
one word: warranty. like i said anything is possible with aftermarket. we need to talk about only 2 things. what it comes from the factory, and what it can support afterwards (ie: tuning potential). and on both counts 1.6L is already at a disadvantage.
Nobody is saying that 2.0 or 2.5 wouldn't be better, just that 1.6 is perfectly adequate. Like I said, 2.0L for a forced induction variant would be perfect for me. Given the choice between no factory F/I version of a 1.6 F/I to compliment the standard 2.0, then fine, build the 1.6 as long as it can give the power that's needed. If you are going to spend what it costs to mod to make big power, you can also take the route of swapping in a different boxer power plant. I really don't see what the big deal is.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #108
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Nobody is saying that 2.0 or 2.5 wouldn't be better, just that 1.6 is perfectly adequate. Like I said, 2.0L for a forced induction variant would be perfect for me. Given the choice between no factory F/I version of a 1.6 F/I to compliment the standard 2.0, then fine, build the 1.6 as long as it can give the power that's needed. If you are going to spend what it costs to mod to make big power, you can also take the route of swapping in a different boxer power plant. I really don't see what the big deal is.
Arguing for arguments sake, obviously.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #109
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
PS: i used multiquote just for you Blur :happy0180:
Your doing it wrong

I think it will be awesome to compare the 1.6l turbo to a built 2.0l aftermarket turbo. Having more than one powerplant option in this car is definitely going to please both NA and FI enthusiasts, as well as provide variety in every build. I'm psyched.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #110
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

Could I be right in thinking this way?

BRZ: RWD, NA 2.0l
BRZ STI: RWD, FI 1.6l
WRX: AWD, FI 1.6l
WRX STI: AWD, FI 1.6l

What then about Toyota?
It might just be me but I have a hard time believing that Subaru would put the same powerplant from its flagship sports car into the BRZ. Setting aside and obvious 4 day debate in this thread of RWD vs. AWD, the BRZ would be better than the WRX STI in every single way if it shared the same power output. It would be lighter, more agile, and more neutral in cornering (ok, so there's a bit of RWD vs. AWD in that statement...moving on!) while coming in with a cheaper MSRP.

But again, the WRX STI is Subaru's flagship sports car, its their bread and butter. From a respect pov how could they possibly outfit an "entry level" sports car with its same powerplant?

No clue what Toyota will do.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #111
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
It might just be me but I have a hard time believing that Subaru would put the same powerplant from its flagship sports car into the BRZ. Setting aside and obvious 4 day debate in this thread of RWD vs. AWD, the BRZ would be better than the WRX STI in every single way if it shared the same power output. It would be lighter, more agile, and more neutral in cornering (ok, so there's a bit of RWD vs. AWD in that statement...moving on!) while coming in with a cheaper MSRP.

But again, the WRX STI is Subaru's flagship sports car, its their bread and butter. From a respect pov how could they possibly outfit an "entry level" sports car with its same powerplant?

No clue what Toyota will do.
You are probably right. But nothing will hinder us putting the 300 PS 1.6l engine into our BRZ with RWD.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #112
Levi

Subaru Cosworth Impreza STI CS400 Annihilates Supercars At Cholmondeley Pageant Of Power

If you can wrap your head around that breathlessly exciting headline, then you can begin to understand the significance of a £49,995 Subaru taking on the likes of Ariel, Lexus, and Nissan's GTRand destroying them.

The Cosworth Impreza STI CS400 devastated the competition at the 1.2-mile Cholmondeley sprint circuit for the annual Pageant Of Power, with former British Rally Champion Mark Higgins behind the wheel. The 400-horsepower STI recorded a time of 66.08 seconds with an average speed of 65.45mph, which was enough to beat the Ariel Atom V8, the Lexus LF-A, and the Ford Focus RS500 in the wet.

"Ours was not only the fastest hatchback, but also the quickest vehicle in any class when the circuit was wet, which speaks volumes for its capabilities," said Kenyon Neads, marketing director for Subaru UK. "It was no surprise the Subaru stand in the paddock was a hive of activity throughout the weekend."

In fact, the little Cossie (sounds strange to call it that when it's not a Ford) was only beaten by the Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Performante, a car that, Subaru is quick to remind you, costs almost 4 times as much.

But you'll be hard-pressed to find either one on the streets: given Subaru's grand tradition of super-exclusive, limited-edition STI versions for the British market, all examples are most likely accounted for already. Hell, it will probably be easier to find the Performante Stateside than a Cosworth-edition anything.