follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #309
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's a multi-link, so everything interacts with everything else.

Given how far forward the toe link attaches to the upright (white arrow in your pic), it does most of the toe management.

Caster isn't a big deal for rear suspension, since you're not steering.

The remaining links (long lower-rear arm, short lower-front arm, and upper wishbone) manage camber and transfer most of the suspension forces. You can consider the two lower links to be an "H arm" with one side disjointed to improve anti-squat.

The relative lengths of the upper and lower arms will dictate camber, but generally as you compress the suspension we will see more negative camber with an exponential curve. I'd expect it to be similar to this (A = rebound, B = compression):

Regarding your question, the geometry of your front lateral link has a minor contribution to toe, moderate contribution to camber, and lots of impact on anti-squat.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
renfield90 (10-18-2016), solidONE (10-18-2016), strat61caster (10-18-2016)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #310
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone produced a single downloadable/importable model that we can use in any of the available software to model the suspension geometry ourselves to see what the affect of various suspension modifications is? This thread has a ton of useful information, but I had not yet seen a finalized document. Was this abandoned?
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #311
Butterman

Drives: 84 944 and 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's the datum for the suspension coordinates? I've got optimum K and happy to make a model and share it.
Butterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #312
DIY

Drives: BRZ, WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am currently considering converting the front end to a double wishbone.

I plan to use knuckles from a car that comes standard with this suspension type. From my research there are many options but once you mandate a 5x114.3 stud pattern this list gets smaller.

Some options are late model Mazda MX5, Honda S2k and Mazda RX8.

From these options the RX8 has the most similar dimensions to my BRZ. In fact I have been able to figure out that the HKS TRB-03 is in fact running the RX8 factory lower control arms, I have not been able to find photos showing the knuckle they are using but I would not be surprised if it is also from the RX8.

I have found some rough dimensions of the control arms and knuckles on Locost forums although I will fabricate my own control arms and only use the knuckles from the RX8 ideally to keep the standard track width of the BRZ.

The tricky part for me will be the upper control arm length and mounting them in the optimum position. Working this out using some measurements and software is where my skills are lacking and maybe you guys can help?

I'm guessing the procedure would be to take the figures from this current suspension model and then feed them into the "double wishbone" version and play with the upper arm length and chassis mount points until you get the desirable camber change with roll etc. all within the size constraints of the chassis.

The rear end of my car is already done and uses the standard geometry with the exception of lowering the trailing arm chassis attachment point a little and it also has multiple control arm mounting points for different ride heights, the diff can be raised too.

My Build Thread

Last edited by DIY; 11-14-2018 at 06:36 AM.
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
DustinS (02-26-2019)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #313
Butterman

Found some great points of info from Car and Driver Via Morse Measurements. RCs height, anti-squat and anti-dive per axle, roll stiffness, etc. Useful stuff in general to understand the dynamics of the 86.

These could used to help verify the suspension coordinate estimates.

@DIY I'm looking to develop a suspension model for the 86, just for fun at this point. Once this is done I can help you develop a double wish bone setup. Why do you want a double wishbone setup? Is there something about the stock macpherson that you're unhappy with?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf brz car testing and Specs.pdf (4.02 MB, 485 views)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #314
DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterman View Post
Why do you want a double wishbone setup? Is there something about the stock macpherson that you're unhappy with?

The main appeal of the double wishbone is better control of camber. As you can see my car is a ground up track car build and I believe double wishbone is the best choice for this purpose.

My Build Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #315
Butterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
The main appeal of the double wishbone is better control of camber. As you can see my car is a ground up track car build and I believe double wishbone is the best choice for this purpose.
Ok, just wanted to make sure your expectations were reasonable. I think it would be a relatively straight forward process to design a double wishbone setup with stock handling characteristics but with more dynamic camber gain.

Lets PM so we don't clutter this up with our back and forth.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #316
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Is there enough room for a long enough UCA under stock fenders? I love the idea, but it's pretty tight in there up front.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #317
DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Is there enough room for a long enough UCA under stock fenders? I love the idea, but it's pretty tight in there up front.
Look at the photo I posted above of the HKS 86, they were able to make it work.

My Build Thread
Old 11-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #318
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Look at the photo I posted above of the HKS 86, they were able to make it work.

Those look like at least 6" flares... your comment about standard track width made me assume you wouldn't be running huge flares.

*edit* - looking at this angle, it looks like it's even more than 6" wider per corner

Old 11-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #319
DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Those look like at least 6" flares... your comment about standard track width made me assume you wouldn't be running huge flares.

*edit* - looking at this angle, it looks like it's even more than 6" wider per corner
Yes I would say the extra width on that car is on the wheel offset though and they are running at least 295 width tyres. You can see in my photo they are still using the factory Mazda aluminium lower control arms so the extra width must be happening with the wheels.

My Build Thread
Old 11-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #320
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
That assumes the mazda links grafted onto a subaru are the same distance apart as they would be on an rx8. Seems that perhaps the brz, with it's much wider engine, has the chassis rails a little farther apart?

You would not want to add that much track just with wheel offset. Scrub radius would be huge.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:43 AM   #321
DIY

It runs 18 x 11 +30 wheels, so that's 69mm extra extension on the outside edge per side compared to stock wheel size.

The RX8 is only 19mm less front track width than an 86 although it does use a slightly wider wheel which would have a small effect on the arm position.

I will be purchasing the entire front end of a RX8 very soon so would be happy to share some measurements.

My Build Thread
Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #322
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Yes I would say the extra width on that car is on the wheel offset though and they are running at least 295 width tyres. You can see in my photo they are still using the factory Mazda aluminium lower control arms so the extra width must be happening with the wheels.

Unless you've already measured and know that the attachment points are the same distance apart as on the FRS/BRZ (or have measured the arm lengths), seeing the stock arms doesn't tell you anything. If the attachment points are further apart it'll be wider with the same length arms too.

Quote:
It runs 18 x 11 +30 wheels, so that's 69mm extra extension on the outside edge per side compared to stock wheel size.

The RX8 is only 19mm less front track width than an 86 although it does use a slightly wider wheel which would have a small effect on the arm position.

I will be purchasing the entire front end of a RX8 very soon so would be happy to share some measurements.

69mm = 2.72", that's way less than the extra width.