follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #3445
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Well in the states people seem to think of the SUV as a status symbol. Not sure they want them for any reason other than to keep up with the Jones. The FRS may not be practical for some people but it’s a lot more practical than a big ass SUV if you have nothing to haul and are single with no kids.
No different here.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #3446
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #3447
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
thanks to zakira for the translation.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/is-...-the-way.1354/

Quote:
I would translate the last two paragraphs of the blue section of that article as follows:

"Besides the suspension modifications, a 3 pedal MT is being prepared. Although Tada hinted that there would only be AT, because of strong market demand for an MT, the consideration/preparation for it has already started. BMW already offers an inline 6 turbo with an MT in other models, so it is not technically unfeasible."

I don't know what magazine this is nor do they quote any source, but I remember Tada-san saying in that one on one interview a while back, that he never said that there wouldn't be an MT, and that if there is strong enough demand for it, they will offer it.

Last edited by gymratter; 08-02-2018 at 01:37 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-05-2018), krayzie (08-01-2018), WolfpackS2k (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #3448
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I feel sooooooooo good about this outdated technology being prepared for the new Supra that the corporate bean counters can go weep at the corner.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
gymratter (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 01:29 AM   #3449
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Obviously a great many people would rather not!
What sells has nothing to do with what each of us as an individual would rather have. I personally don't have a clue why so many people are buying pick up trucks.
Mostly status symbols. The average price that a truck was sold has really blown up in the last five years. Most of the increase has come from sales of luxury editions that have lavish interiors and accessories. At the hospital where I work I have a number of doctors who have traded their X5Ms or S550’s for F350s.

As for crossovers, people are just trying to maximize the utility of their single vehicle, wanting to have the ability to do as much as possible with a single vehicle, even if the demand for certain features are never or rarely required.
rvoll (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 AM   #3450
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I get why people have bigger SUVs, a lot of families use them to tow and haul. What I dont get are all the CUVs these days like the HVR and CHR. I would much rather have a Honda Fit or Corolla iM.
Yep. I have a family of 5 people and sometimes even my SUV seems small to me. On the other side, I see just a husband and wife with no kids or kids having their own families to get these cars. In such cases having a SUV is basically a status symbol.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
rvoll (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #3451
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Well in the states people seem to think of the SUV as a status symbol.
You can blame Toyota for starting the cheap luxury SUV segment.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #3452
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Physics makes cars like the 86/BRZ more fun.
Physics also makes SUVs more formidable in collisions.

Very different uses for different demographics of people. I'd rather haul my kids in a big SUV than a sedan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m.box.design For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (08-02-2018), rvoll (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #3453
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Bull.
I have done it for 120,000 miles through all seasons and have zero complaints. I would despise having to DD a SUV since they are indeed horrible to drive under any conditions.
Pure bull.... Many SUV's drive just fine -- especially around town and on trips. Some SUV's, like the Macan, almost drive as well as a sports car. Each car has it's purpose. I've never seen any car be the best at all tasks. I occasionally pull a trailer. I can put a hitch on the BRZ, but would you really do that? The fact that you don't see that is proof of a real lack of objectivity....
The Following User Says Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #3454
rvoll

Quote:
My old Integra (95 GS-R) with very minimal engine mods (CAI, LWF and distributor set to 18btdc) ran a 14.26 1320. Not particularly fast but I'd be amazed if the Ford Escape was that fast. Oh and I remember going to pick up xmas trees with the Integra and when the guys were ready to take it to the car they would ask which car I was in. I would point to the Integra and they would laugh. We would get over there and I would throw it in there and completely close the hatch. Hahaha

It really depends on your needs I guess. I am a software dev so it isn't like I need to lug around tools or a bunch of passengers. But the parking lot at my office is littered with SUVs for a bunch of people that also don't have tool boxes or large families. If I NEEDED an SUV that is one thing. But if I had the option to drive to work in my FRS or the Suburban I would pick the FRS. I would pick the FRS over an Escape too. Again because I have no need for all the extra space. When you look at the segment the FRS falls in it is one of the more practical cars. It has reasonable trunk space, back seats and gets really good gas mileage. I think that is everyone's point.
I like to listen to great music. On longer trips, and even many shorter ones, I sometimes want a very quiet car with a great 12+ speaker system. You can't get that in an 86. Many people drive an SUV, especially compact ones, to have a better view of the road and more crash protection. They would call you an idiot for wanting such a noisy, unsafe, car. You think they are dumb, and they think you are dumb. Most people are on the SUV side so don't be so defensive. Each car has it's purpose. There isn't a better feeling than driving a great sports car through a winding road. But driving a noisy, manual transmission in stop and go traffic is a real pain. True, you can be a masochist and tell yourself you love it....
JeremyR (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #3455
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I get why people have bigger SUVs, a lot of families use them to tow and haul. What I dont get are all the CUVs these days like the HVR and CHR. I would much rather have a Honda Fit or Corolla iM.
Try actually driving a Honda Fit and an HVR and you'll understand why. Owning a sports car, you should understand the differences in how a car drives. Different people have different priorities. I shouldn't have to explain that to a sports car owner....
JeremyR (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #3456
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yep. I have a family of 5 people and sometimes even my SUV seems small to me. On the other side, I see just a husband and wife with no kids or kids having their own families to get these cars. In such cases having a SUV is basically a status symbol.
All cars, except the very cheap ones or ones that are used for business, are status symbols -- even our cars.... If 86's were not status symbols, why get wings, lower the car, big wheels/tires, ground effects, etc.?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-06-2018), JeremyR (08-02-2018), nikitopo (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #3457
rvoll

Quote:
Not trivial but not a major factor either. We are talking about a company that works in the billions of dollars. Holding a bit more inventory will not break them. Now if all of a sudden they had their whole stock of Corollas and Camrys sitting unsold there would be a problem. In the bigger scheme of things the cost of maintaining two transmissions is the same as the pocket change the CEO throws on the table every night.
I have no idea what your past business did but you really need to understand the scope of the auto manufacturing business.
I've actually worked with a large auto company on the strategic/ROI level, so I probably know more about how it works than you. The fallacy in your thought process is that the "chump change" argument doesn't work when deciding on which projects to pursue. If you can get a higher ROI on another project, then you do it, no matter what the size. Smaller projects are even harder to get approval for as development costs are a greater percentage of the money you have to recoup. Go to Germany and talk to your CFO about how decisions are made in your company. I have yet to see any large company make decisions in a different way.
JeremyR (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #3458
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Pure bull.... Many SUV's drive just fine -- especially around town and on trips. Some SUV's, like the Macan, almost drive as well as a sports car. Each car has it's purpose. I've never seen any car be the best at all tasks. I occasionally pull a trailer. I can put a hitch on the BRZ, but would you really do that? The fact that you don't see that is proof of a real lack of objectivity....
My statement was not intended to be objective. The fact I stated "I would despise..." is very clearly subjective. I am not saying other people should not drive them or they have no purpose I am saying that for ME they are useless and not great to drive. This was in response to the broad statement that the Twins were "the worst" DD cars out there.
Read what was said in context and that is obvious.
Dadhawk (08-06-2018), HKz (08-02-2018), Irace86.2.0 (08-02-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose