follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
mulekr1

Drives: 15' Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Buy speaker install?

Hi guys I need your help somehow my 2015 Subaru BRZ speakers have blown. The first one on the driver side started static under bass then it went out then the stress effected the passenger side and I feel it’s gonna go out very very soon
Do I need the subaruadapter.com adapters or will they be able to come close? Should I buy anything before hand they will not have
Will I be able to use the original speaker grate
What speakers fit with hose adapters and shag speakers will fit without (if any fit without)
I’m so confused and I wanna fix this as soon as possible.
I have 200$ max to spend on speakers (labor and parts to install aside of course)
mulekr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you are on a budget and don't want to upgrade, get someone else's used oem door speakers, they sell super cheap in the electronics sell and trade forums
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
mulekr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
If you are on a budget and don't want to upgrade, get someone else's used oem door speakers, they sell super cheap in the electronics sell and trade forums
I always thought 200$ gets you speakers considering I’m seeing jbl and kicker speakers for around that price I just don’t know exactly what I need to buy if I’m letting Best Buy do the job.
Do I still need the speaker adapters
Old 01-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
How much are you willing to spend on install? Best Buy can be hit and miss, sometimes they have a good installer, other times they dont. Granted a speaker install is not very difficult so they should be able to handle it, but I wouldnt let Best Buy do any installs on my vehicles. They should have anything they would need to install the speakers, or be able to order adapters to do the install if they dont have them. Shop around at some specialty car audio shops though and see what kind of prices you can get. You will typically get better service and quality of work.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You could always try Crutchfield.com. They have good speakers, and install instructions, tools, etc. Go to car audio, and put in your specific vehicle.
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
mulekr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
How much are you willing to spend on install? Best Buy can be hit and miss, sometimes they have a good installer, other times they dont. Granted a speaker install is not very difficult so they should be able to handle it, but I wouldnt let Best Buy do any installs on my vehicles. They should have anything they would need to install the speakers, or be able to order adapters to do the install if they dont have them. Shop around at some specialty car audio shops though and see what kind of prices you can get. You will typically get better service and quality of work.
Best Buy does shitty work? I only know of one place ( I’m in New York there’s plenty I just don’t know exactly who to trust) so I thought Best Buy would do the same level of quality work. I just don’t want them to remove my door panel like shit and stuff like that
Old 01-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulekr1 View Post
I always thought 200$ gets you speakers considering I’m seeing jbl and kicker speakers for around that price I just don’t know exactly what I need to buy if I’m letting Best Buy do the job.
Do I still need the speaker adapters
Sorry, yes they can, but I guess what are your goals, just door speakers, or full comps?
Old 01-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
mulekr1

Quote:
Sorry, yes they can, but I guess what are your goals, just door speakers, or full comps?
Like the guy said above I can go back oem and I normally would but if I can upgrade for the same money with like 70-80$ more i will. I was going back oem in the first place so anything above oem is an upgrade I just wanna upgrade my speakers one time since they’re blown. By the way the passenger side finally blew so I have no speakers.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #9
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Do it yourself and save some money and buy better speakers and a small amp. Otherwise if you are using the stock amps, you want low rms rating.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #10
Chimera

If you just want to do doors, find a 6.5 2ohm woofer. I would recommend however that you upgrade the front to comps together with an amp. The ktp 445u, or the pioneer equivalent amp are good choices for upgrading using the oem amps power lines, then a set of budget2way comps. The amp can be found for100 if on sale, speakers range, find a set rates around100w rms. Diy install will fetch you back funds to invest in better parts. Tbh, a budget of300 will give you easier breathing room to get a good sound upgrade from amp and front speakers.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
This is a trivial job. Look up the procedure for removing the door panel if you don't know how. You should be able to find oem speakers for cheap or free.

If you are blowing speakers it is because of the factory amp, not the speaker. It doesn't take a lot to drive the amp into clipping and I don't care how much money you spend on a speaker if you drive it with a clipped signal you are going to destroy it.

As the Chimera said you can find small digital amps that can do what you want to do for about $50. You can install them in the factory amp location using the factory amp wiring as well. Again, you can find instructions for doing so on this website.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #12
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
This is a trivial job. Look up the procedure for removing the door panel if you don't know how. You should be able to find oem speakers for cheap or free.

If you are blowing speakers it is because of the factory amp, not the speaker. It doesn't take a lot to drive the amp into clipping and I don't care how much money you spend on a speaker if you drive it with a clipped signal you are going to destroy it.

As the Chimera said you can find small digital amps that can do what you want to do for about $50. You can install them in the factory amp location using the factory amp wiring as well. Again, you can find instructions for doing so on this website.

also yes, I agree with @toast, it sounds like your OEM amp is having problems/might be broken. getting new speakers and running them off that amp might just turn into a waste of money.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #13
mulekr1

Quote:
If you just want to do doors, find a 6.5 2ohm woofer. I would recommend however that you upgrade the front to comps together with an amp. The ktp 445u, or the pioneer equivalent amp are good choices for upgrading using the oem amps power lines, then a set of budget2way comps. The amp can be found for100 if on sale, speakers range, find a set rates around100w rms. Diy install will fetch you back funds to invest in better parts. Tbh, a budget of300 will give you easier breathing room to get a good sound upgrade from amp and front speakers.
Hey, you opened up my eyes
I’m buying the ktp 445u and I’m gonna research good 6.5” component speakers
I’m still not installing myself because im an unorganized clutz but if I’m gonna do something I may as well do it right
Old 01-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #14
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulekr1 View Post
Hey, you opened up my eyes
I’m buying the ktp 445u and I’m gonna research good 6.5” component speakers
I’m still not installing myself because im an unorganized clutz but if I’m gonna do something I may as well do it right
If you are having an installer install it, tell them youd like it bridged to 2ch 90w rms for the front channels. They will know what this means. Choose a set of comps thatre rated at around 90-100w rms, and4ohm.

Hope this helps you,good luck let us know how it comes out ☺