follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
jerseymike1966

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT Tuning for Forced Induction

I will be getting a Sprintex Supercharger in a couple weeks and am looking for tuning options. I read the entire Sprintex owners thread. Seems like most people go with either Delicous Tuning or Moto East. However, I would prefer to have an open source tune. I have only seen 1 or 2 reviews of people who went with Shiv at Open Flash. I would like to hear feedback from people who have used Shiv or any other tuner for open source tuning. There are local dyno tuners here in NJ, but again I don't want to walk in blindly to a tuner that way not be able to provide a good tune for my car. I am trying to get the tuning sorted before I pull the trigger and order the supercharger. Any input from people with first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
jerseymike1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerseymike1966 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (05-19-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Amputechture

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mind if I ask why you would prefer open source? Is it for the sheer fact that you would have the ability to make modifications to tables yourself afterwards, and the whole proprietary ownership thing? If that's the case I can empathize. I think it's ridiculous that if my tuner goes out of business and I need a small update for something like a MAF rescale/climate change that I will be on the hook for entirely new service fee. But at the same time, Ecutek is WORLDS above RomRaider in terms of capability. With RaceRom custom maps, pretty much anything is possible (except for the fact that you are limited to 16 custom maps.....which is usually more than enough for basic street FI setups).
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
max20s14

Drives: 14' Raven M/T - 02' is300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Mind if I ask why you would prefer open source? Is it for the sheer fact that you would have the ability to make modifications to tables yourself afterwards, and the whole proprietary ownership thing? If that's the case I can empathize. I think it's ridiculous that if my tuner goes out of business and I need a small update for something like a MAF rescale/climate change that I will be on the hook for entirely new service fee. But at the same time, Ecutek is WORLDS above RomRaider in terms of capability. With RaceRom custom maps, pretty much anything is possible (except for the fact that you are limited to 16 custom maps.....which is usually more than enough for basic street FI setups).
I am also interested in this because of what I bolded
max20s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
jerseymike1966

Quote:
I have a locked tune on my truck. I had to get the tuner to change the tune for me about 50 times in the last 3 years. Luckily, for me he doesn't charge for tune revisions, but I think I am testing his patience. I did many changes to the OTS tunes from OTF and my car is running much better. Cold start noise reduction, leaner tables at low rpms, turned the trouble code off for low temps because I have a 170 degree thermostat, etc. I like the ability to make minor changes without having to depend on someone else. I don't buy that the OFT isn't good for tuning for FI. It seems to me that Shiv/OFT is the recommend tuning device for the SBD Turbo kit. If it is good for tuning a turbo system than it should be good for tuning a supercharger. When I look at tables/definitions that are available for the OFT it looks like everything is there to fully dial in any system.
jerseymike1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Amputechture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike1966 View Post
I have a locked tune on my truck. I had to get the tuner to change the tune for me about 50 times in the last 3 years. Luckily, for me he doesn't charge for tune revisions, but I think I am testing his patience. I did many changes to the OTS tunes from OTF and my car is running much better. Cold start noise reduction, leaner tables at low rpms, turned the trouble code off for low temps because I have a 170 degree thermostat, etc. I like the ability to make minor changes without having to depend on someone else. I don't buy that the OFT isn't good for tuning for FI. It seems to me that Shiv/OFT is the recommend tuning device for the SBD Turbo kit. If it is good for tuning a turbo system than it should be good for tuning a supercharger. When I look at tables/definitions that are available for the OFT it looks like everything is there to fully dial in any system.
There are a couple things to consider while using RomRaider;

1.) It's not capable of boost control/boost cut. This won't really be of detriment to you being that a pulley will be your boost control. But if you want to properly tune a turbo car, RomRaider can do it sure but I wouldn't even consider it due to being stuck to the stock logic. Boost by gear in a turbo car does wonders. That in itself is worth the extra coin. Having a good relationship with a tuner that is local to me certainly puts me in a fortunate, and unique situation that I do understand doesn't avail itself to everyone....so I completely understand both sides of the spectrum believe me.

2.) The Sprintex supercharger cannot read Intake air temperatures past the MAF sensor....which is where it's creating all of the heat. So I've heard it's very difficult to tune for that reason...and one basically has to guess what the IAT will be and IAM can decrease as a result if things get cooking.

3.) With RomRaider...you can't repurpose an input. What I mean by that is a lot of folk get Continental or AC Delco Intake Air Temp sensors and tap into the blower/intake manifold to get proper readings. You won't be able to repurpose your rear 02 sensor or CPC pressure sensor for IAT readings.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
What I mean by that is a lot of folk get Continental or AC Delco Intake Air Temp sensors and tap into the blower/intake manifold to get proper readings.
I have done this on my Sprintex but have rewired to the original IAT circuit, easy enough to do.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Amputechture (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike1966 View Post
I have a locked tune on my truck. I had to get the tuner to change the tune for me about 50 times in the last 3 years. Luckily, for me he doesn't charge for tune revisions, but I think I am testing his patience. I did many changes to the OTS tunes from OTF and my car is running much better. Cold start noise reduction, leaner tables at low rpms, turned the trouble code off for low temps because I have a 170 degree thermostat, etc. I like the ability to make minor changes without having to depend on someone else.
The solution is simple. You get a tune from an Ecutek tuner that does not lock their tunes, because you paid for it and its yours. Such fancy unicorns do exist, best of both worlds.

It's called HRI Tuning (James Martin). Contact him.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
COO86L (05-21-2017), D_Thissen (05-19-2017), pgranberg11 (05-19-2017), Teseo (11-24-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
The solution is simple. You get a tune from an Ecutek tuner that does not lock their tunes, because you paid for it and its yours. Such fancy unicorns do exist, best of both worlds.

yes few and far between but good to know they exist :-)

also try this guy @VitViper
http://vittuned.com/tuning-services.html

I heard he may do unlocked ecutek tunes s well not sure

Last edited by steve99; 05-19-2017 at 08:31 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-19-2017), Teseo (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
There are a couple things to consider while using RomRaider;

1.) It's not capable of boost control/boost cut. This won't really be of detriment to you being that a pulley will be your boost control. But if you want to properly tune a turbo car, RomRaider can do it sure but I wouldn't even consider it due to being stuck to the stock logic. Boost by gear in a turbo car does wonders. That in itself is worth the extra coin. Having a good relationship with a tuner that is local to me certainly puts me in a fortunate, and unique situation that I do understand doesn't avail itself to everyone....so I completely understand both sides of the spectrum believe me.

2.) The Sprintex supercharger cannot read Intake air temperatures past the MAF sensor....which is where it's creating all of the heat. So I've heard it's very difficult to tune for that reason...and one basically has to guess what the IAT will be and IAM can decrease as a result if things get cooking.

3.) With RomRaider...you can't repurpose an input. What I mean by that is a lot of folk get Continental or AC Delco Intake Air Temp sensors and tap into the blower/intake manifold to get proper readings. You won't be able to repurpose your rear 02 sensor or CPC pressure sensor for IAT readings.

OFT guys do have access to

1. MAP based overboost cut
2. flex fuel via evap input
3. Hybrid SD tuning

guy called ztan did coding a while back
been using it for quite a while :-)

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2388566
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Quote:

I had no idea there was an EcuTek tuner that existed and didn't lock their tunes.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Amputechture

Quote:

James won't tune my kit :-(
Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
James won't tune my kit :-(
Because it's not Ecutek?
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #13
Amputechture

Quote:
Because it's not Ecutek?

No, I use Ecutek. Said that the MAF placement of my kit (JDL circa early 2016 version) makes it next to impossible to get accurate readings. I really don't understand because the maf is in pretty much the same spot as all of the other front mounted/shorter charge piping type of kits (SBD/Greddy/Full Race) it's not directly after a bend, BOV is on the intercooler nowhere near the sensor, and it's a good distance away from the throttle plate. I was even willing to go full-time speed density if he couldn't get the MAF to play nice. I hope I don't sound like I'm shit talking...I know he's a good guy.

Ironically enough low speed drivability is probably the strong suite of my current tune which is MAF in VAC SD in boost. What I'm not happy about is I have a power dip if I go more than 50 percent throttle or so anywhere between 3K and 3,800 or so. Car just falls flat on it's face. I can drive around it sure, and I rarely give it that much throttle that low in the RPM range but there are times when you need to get out of someone's way and don't want to downshift. Plus starting every pull at 4K starts to eat at your gas mileage. I know it's not something mechanical because I have none of these issues with my prior e-tune. Personally I think it's a cam phasing/vvt thing that he can't figure out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amputechture For This Useful Post:
-Phil (05-19-2017), Sportsguy83 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
Amputechture

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
OFT guys do have access to

1. MAP based overboost cut
2. flex fuel via evap input
3. Hybrid SD tuning

guy called ztan did coding a while back
been using it for quite a while :-)

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2388566

Maybe my assumption is wrong on this, but I vaguely remember someone telling me that the OFT crowd's boost cut implementation is a fuel cut past a certain MAP value. You know more about this than I would...what is the advantage of fuel cut versus lowering duty cycle of the solenoid to go back to WG pressure? I could be wrong but it seems that cutting fuel would elevate combustion temps and open the door to detonation.