follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Crave

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2017 Subaru BRZ Navigation?

Like the 2016 model, will both model trims come without the navigation?
Crave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I believe neither will come with navi. Even though the old system was laggy and not all that great, I'd rather have it over not having one at all. I know that we can use our phones but I'd rather not use up my data.

And this coming from a guy who doesn't want any frills.
himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have the 2013 and to be honest the OEM navigation is really not that bad..have use it up and down the east coast. It was a nice standard feature and too bad it was discontinued.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm really surprised they completely removed this. I figured they would at least add Android Auto to replace it. I can only hope that they offer some sort of future update/upgrade for Android Auto for us.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=178

For Canada, both base model and top model has Navi.
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:42 AM   #6
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I have the 2013 and to be honest the OEM navigation is really not that bad..have use it up and down the east coast. It was a nice standard feature and too bad it was discontinued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
I'm really surprised they completely removed this. I figured they would at least add Android Auto to replace it. I can only hope that they offer some sort of future update/upgrade for Android Auto for us.
I had a 2013 BRZ and while I thought the navi was laggy and poorly designed, I did learn to use it. I'm sure 90% of the users never read the user manual but I did and it helped understand how to use it a lot more. The way I saw it, I paid for it, might as well learn to use it.

Then I switched to a 2016 BRZ and for the US model, they took away Navi and gave us the backup camera. I thought at first, I would much rather have the backup camera, as it's something I can use everyday. And it's great. But oddly enough I do miss having the navi. Yeah I use my phone instead for navigation, and in some ways that's better (traffic reporting and rerouting via Waze or Google Maps), but I miss having the larger navi screen. Would be great if the Starlink system allowed you to mirror your phone to the screen, but it won't do that. It won't even pull in the navi voice directions from your phone to the stereo system.
Here's hoping the newer models will have better features, but I'm not that optimistic.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
I had a 2013 BRZ and while I thought the navi was laggy and poorly designed, I did learn to use it. I'm sure 90% of the users never read the user manual but I did and it helped understand how to use it a lot more. The way I saw it, I paid for it, might as well learn to use it.

Then I switched to a 2016 BRZ and for the US model, they took away Navi and gave us the backup camera. I thought at first, I would much rather have the backup camera, as it's something I can use everyday. And it's great. But oddly enough I do miss having the navi. Yeah I use my phone instead for navigation, and in some ways that's better (traffic reporting and rerouting via Waze or Google Maps), but I miss having the larger navi screen. Would be great if the Starlink system allowed you to mirror your phone to the screen, but it won't do that. It won't even pull in the navi voice directions from your phone to the stereo system.
Here's hoping the newer models will have better features, but I'm not that optimistic.
Yeah after getting my 2016 limited i really wanted the onboard navi. I'd say look for a used headunit that can also support the backup camera. I got myself a Ca-Fi Dashlinq4 from someone on these forums for SUPER cheap and i just got my audio guy to do all the proper wiring. Now i have Waze on my head unit, the stock backup camera hooked up to it and he even managed to get an adaptor so the USB port that comes on the car works with the head unit as well. Totally worth it.
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Djratrap

Drives: BRZ CSB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Yeah after getting my 2016 limited i really wanted the onboard navi. I'd say look for a used headunit that can also support the backup camera. I got myself a Ca-Fi Dashlinq4 from someone on these forums for SUPER cheap and i just got my audio guy to do all the proper wiring. Now i have Waze on my head unit, the stock backup camera hooked up to it and he even managed to get an adaptor so the USB port that comes on the car works with the head unit as well. Totally worth it.
I've been looking into that system for a while. The stock unit is slow and very unresponsive (i only have an 8gb usb drive attached). The navi is a joke, any phone (or any $50 garmin) is better. The only time i use the head unit navi is when i'm out of the country and don't want to rack up roaming charges.
Djratrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djratrap View Post
I've been looking into that system for a while. The stock unit is slow and very unresponsive (i only have an 8gb usb drive attached). The navi is a joke, any phone (or any $50 garmin) is better. The only time i use the head unit navi is when i'm out of the country and don't want to rack up roaming charges.
The Dashlinq is great as it's an Android based system so you can sideload apps into the head unit. I currently have both Waze and Google Play Music loaded on there.

As for Nav out of country it may not fit your "no roaming" requirements. In order to use Waze i need to hotspot my phone to it. Now it does come with it's own GPS antenna so maybe theres a map app out there that doesnt require a data connection in order to do things like reroute or search for routes. However i'm a big fan of Waze so i use my data for that.
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #10
Alabang BRZ

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I believe the 2017 BRZ will have Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
Alabang BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabang BRZ View Post
I believe the 2017 BRZ will have Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
I hope so. I don't know who programmed the Subaru nav system, but it is absolutely horrific. I choose to use my phone instead of the nav because the directions it gives are trash. It just loves hitting every neighborhood side street for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Alabang BRZ

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I hope so. I don't know who programmed the Subaru nav system, but it is absolutely horrific. I choose to use my phone instead of the nav because the directions it gives are trash. It just loves hitting every neighborhood side street for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
Here is proof of it happening.

This icon.

Is present on the right thumb area of the steering wheel.

On the Apple Carplay website the 2017 Impreza is listed as having the feature.

Android Auto site stated that Subaru will have it in the near future.

As I'm still happy with my BRZ I may opt to upgrade to this 200mm wide double DIN.

Alabang BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alabang BRZ For This Useful Post:
why? (08-03-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
dbaugh

Drives: Dreamy
So what year exactly did the onboard nav stop? 2015? They added the backup camera in 2016 right? So basically you can get one or the other, but not both.
dbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
BRZ FTW

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaugh View Post
So what year exactly did the onboard nav stop? 2015? They added the backup camera in 2016 right? So basically you can get one or the other, but not both.
I have navigation but no backup camera on my 2015 Limited.
BRZ FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ FTW For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (08-30-2016)