follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #71
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRacerX View Post
No joke, you move wheel an inch = YOU TURN! You set your hand on wheel , it turns, min input is just Insane w/ like no resistance !
Yup... and the VIII and IX were both a bit more responsive too.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #72
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXDD View Post
BRZ:
bone stock

Evo:
to many mods to list (or to rephrase care to take the time listing)

but my evo has 391hp/392tq and has a crap ton of suspension/chassis mods. it is set up for autox/time attack, and includes a stage 4 clutch/lightweight flywheel.

for DD the BRZ is like a gift from god, the evo with the stage 4 was such a PITA to drive every day.

handling: the BRZ goes where i tell it, when i tell it....until i turn off traction control then it is just hella fun but not being used to rear wheel drive it is closing in on uncontrollable. Can't imagine trying to autox this thing, although i am sure it is a LOT of fun to do so.
The evo does not break loose no matter what. i take turns doing 100mph and it just rolls right through them with a nice throttle out.

power: the evo i can have at the speed limit by mid 2nd gear at the latest, where the brz seems it needs almost 4th to get to the speed limit. there is some through you back in your seat moments with it, but if i go WOT in the evo and put a $100 bill on the dash, you would still leave the car broke lol.

looks: the BRZ seems to be more "VIP" status and really looks sleek and sexy where the evo just looks mean and raw. I get a lot more girls (even though i am married so could care less) looking at the BRZ than i do the evo. The evo i get so much sausage giving me thumbs up and people trying to race me in there civics, all the way to their corvettes and such.

Comfortably: with the exception of the sore drivers knee, the BRZ is a lot more comfortable for DD. The evo has more room, but the seat bolsters are a lot tighter, and as stated before the stage 4 clutch is brutal (not the cars fault, but wanted to add this in)

paint: i clear bra'd both entire front ends, but the BRZ seems to have much more to the paint. In the sunlight it shimmers and sparkles, where the evo just looks really clean (until i pull it out of the driveway and it has soot all over it lol.

interior room: hands down goes to the evo now that i put the back seats back in to stay in the same autox class i was in last year. only downside is that it is so loud the wife won't drive with me in it anyways. my 3.5 year old son on the other hand makes VVVROOOOMMMM!!!! sounds in it all the way home so i guess he loves it. having 4 doors is a huge plus when you have more than 2 people in a car.

overall: my goals/builds for these cars are polar opposites so hard to compare when it really comes down to it, but i am in love with my BRZ and the evo has to feel left out. I have driven it 2 times since i got my new baby. Nothing like the sound of a spooling turbo and flames coming out the back of a car when you are stomping on some domestic "muscle" car though!

nice comparison sir. if you arent used to FR(front engine Rear drive) it takes time. the car is soo easily controllable in a rear wheel drive car stand point. for seasoned FR drivers like myself, i totally agree with the TCS and VSC on its like a rock planted but its all about your foot work when it comes to driving an FR at her limits to see what she really can do you should bring it to the AutoX and see ho she fairs. im sure youll feel more confident after you drive around very fast on a surface you wont have to worry about, such as deer,people,other cars, po po's.

i love both of the cars you own i have the other twin the FR-S.
which is a drop different in the suspension where the Subaru has a stiffer front set up and a loser softer rear it will feel more planted but will tend to understeer more. as for the Toyota, the suspension is stiffer in the rear and softer in the front which will be more prone for over steer. obviously for a more balanced race machine youd want it more stiff up front in order to eliminate the nose dropping while entering a corner. if too much weight drops on the nose you lose alot of grip while cornering since the weight is no longer on the driving tires. but you probably know that. but im glad you enjoy the new twins it is a such a splendid ride driving her hard or just cruising the back roads either way its brilliant. :happy0180::happy0180: much luck with both cars maybe you can get some vids of your evo AutoXing
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #73
Dusky

Drives: X3, 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sharing this again. It's a photo with my buddy's evo. Both car seems to have a short turning radius...
MarkRacerX (11-23-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #74
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Are you kidding me? The Evos have a TERRIBLE turning radius.

I have a 600hp Evo IX that I daily drive. The FRS is incredibly appealing to me as I owned a 350Z for 5 years before the Evo. I have that rear wheel drive itch, and then I take a turn under power in the evo and I stand corrected.

-Acree
Acree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #75
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
I have that rear wheel drive itch, and then I take a turn under power in the evo and I stand corrected.
And then what happens.. understeer??

I kid, I kid.... or am I? lol
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #76
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Full bushings, sway bars, and camber fix that.

-Acree
Acree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #77
Dusky

Drives: X3, 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
lol... yeah, my bad. I meant terrible.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #78
wdninja

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I'm trading in my 2010 Evo X SE for a FR-S. I only have a few days left with the Evo, but I'm not feeling any regret after test driving the FR-S. The improved DD comfort, gas mileage and overall lower maintenance costs are the big differentiators for me.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #79
DeeezNuuuts83

^ A lot of it is just the maintenance cost of the TC-SST. I think my dealership charges an additional $200 or something at each major service interval because of it compared to the X GSR (or VIII/IX), though on the bright side, the 4B11 has a timing chain now that doesn't need to be changed, so you save on timing belts.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #80
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
So STOCK FOR STOCK.... Which would you say is the all around better car?

I've driven both and love them both. My only real gripe with the evo is the interior that came straight from a 14k lancer. For the frs/brz, i still wish it had just a tad bit exta power

Preferably asking those who know from owning both..
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #81
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
So STOCK FOR STOCK.... Which would you say is the all around better car?

I've driven both and love them both. My only real gripe with the evo is the interior that came straight from a 14k lancer. For the frs/brz, i still wish it had just a tad bit exta power

Preferably asking those who know from owning both..
I don't own both -- only an Evo IX (though I've had two), but my cousin who just recently graduated from nursing school picked up an FR-S a week ago, so hopefully I'll get more seat time when I see her again next weekend.

It's no secret, the Evo's interior is nothing special (I was driving an E320 for a year before I got my first Evo), but the important stuff that you touch all the time is pretty good (Momo steering wheel, Recaro seats, aluminum pedals, etc.). Everything else looks pretty bland, but it never really bothered me.

I checked out a BRZ Limited yesterday, and the seats are very similar to the ones in the Evo IX SE, with the leather/alcantara materials and red stitching. I think the bolsters were a tad stiffer, though it might just seem that way since my car is already around six years old, so maybe the padding isn't as stiff as it was when it was new. But the interior in the BRZ Premium and FR-S isn't spectacular either. I don't dig the gear-shaped dials from other Scions/Yarises, but again, it's not as if you are touching them constantly.

I agree about the power -- it's nothing bad, but it's just hard to go that far back in power and acceleration, especially coming from a turbocharged car that has 250+ hp on tap.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #82
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
Evo is being discontinued because the parent company cannot make another car that sells well enough to justify the development costs. Mitsubishi has no car for the masses that is really competitive in the market.
Yup, Mitsubishi in general is dying as a brand. One of the major car rags did a piece on that this month. I think it might have been either Car & Driver or Automobile magazine.

Last edited by White Shadow; 11-28-2012 at 02:01 PM.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #83
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
I don't own both -- only an Evo IX (though I've had two), but my cousin who just recently graduated from nursing school picked up an FR-S a week ago, so hopefully I'll get more seat time when I see her again next weekend.

It's no secret, the Evo's interior is nothing special (I was driving an E320 for a year before I got my first Evo), but the important stuff that you touch all the time is pretty good (Momo steering wheel, Recaro seats, aluminum pedals, etc.). Everything else looks pretty bland, but it never really bothered me.

I checked out a BRZ Limited yesterday, and the seats are very similar to the ones in the Evo IX SE, with the leather/alcantara materials and red stitching. I think the bolsters were a tad stiffer, though it might just seem that way since my car is already around six years old, so maybe the padding isn't as stiff as it was when it was new. But the interior in the BRZ Premium and FR-S isn't spectacular either. I don't dig the gear-shaped dials from other Scions/Yarises, but again, it's not as if you are touching them constantly.

I agree about the power -- it's nothing bad, but it's just hard to go that far back in power and acceleration, especially coming from a turbocharged car that has 250+ hp on tap.

Exactly. While they aren't too far off pace, they are are noticeably sluggish compared to the evo and even the wrx I have.

While the interior on them isn't crazy, I do like the layout and overall feel, fit and finish better.

My thing is just finding the overall better everyday car
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #84
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
Yup, Mitsubishi in general is dying as a brand. One of the major car rags did a piece of that this month. I think it might have been either Car & Driver or Automobile magazine.
As a CAR brand, yes. The only thing that they really have going for them is the Evo. The Lancer lineup is decent but definitely not class-leading, and the Outlander Sport is pretty cool looking, but again nothing that is shaking up that segment. The future of the iMIEV or whatever it's called is yet to be seen... but having been in one, it's a cool idea but the interior is nearly identical to the Lancer's. Everything else pretty much sucks, and their upcoming vehicles aren't likely to make an impact.

But what a lot of people don't realize is that Mitsubishi is far bigger than just an auto company, and most of their money comes from other venues, so declining auto sales isn't going to bury them. Remember that they still do commercial trucks, turbos, TVs, appliances, textiles, insurance, mining, etc. while having the financial backing of THE biggest bank in Japan, so they're not strapped for cash. That's not to make an excuse for their lineup, which is 90% craptastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Exactly. While they aren't too far off pace, they are are noticeably sluggish compared to the evo and even the wrx I have.

While the interior on them isn't crazy, I do like the layout and overall feel, fit and finish better.

My thing is just finding the overall better everyday car
It's hard to say, as it really depends on your priorities and what you (as an auto enthusiast, considering you're on this forum and looking at both cars) consider to be the "overall better everyday car." The FR-S/BRZ wins a lot of those categories, with usable power (200 hp is plenty for a DD), better gas mileage and much easier maintenance costs not far off of what an average car needs. But again, it is still a coupe, one with a small backseat and a shallow trunk. So that's something you'll need to consider, if driving more than just one passenger is a regular thing for you (or if it might be in the near future). I don't usually drive more than just one person at a time (my girlfriend, a buddy or whoever), but I like having four doors and room in the back.