follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2018 BRZ Orders Open. tS and 50th Anniversary Due April

You should now be able to order a 2018 BRZ from a Subaru dealership.

You cannot order a tS or 50th Anniversary Edition.

Yesterday BRZ tS’s and 50th Anniversary Edition units appeared on the 1st Allocation for 2018. This was to let dealerships know which color/how many they were getting so that they can clarify with their customers. The amount of units and color (for the tS) are pre-determined.

50th Anniversary BRZ is reported to be painted in “Heritage Blue.”

The tS and 50th Anniversary are due to be available in April.

Quote:
Q. How do I get a BRZ tS/50th Anniversary BRZ?

Your only choice (until there are pre-owned models) is to buy one from a Subaru Retailer. However, being that this is a Special/Limited Edition car it is not going to be as simple as it sounds. Take a look below to see how a dealership gets their hands on a BRZ tS/50th Anniversary BRZ to sell to a potential buyer.

Q. How does a dealership get a BRZ tS/50th Anniversary BRZ in their inventory?

Without going into too much detail, a dealership will be “offered” a BRZ tS from Subaru. However, a dealership must earn this “offer.” A dealership will earn that offer based on their BRZ sales. The market affects this, so states with little demand for the BRZ will see less dealerships with BRZ tS and vice versa.

Example: If Market A sells more BRZ’s than Market B, then Market A will earn 7 BRZ tS units, and Market B will earn 3 units.

Dealership A and Dealership B are in Market A. Dealership A sold significantly more BRZ’s than dealership B. Therefore Dealership A will be offered 5 BRZ tS’s while Dealership B will be offered 2 BRZ tS’s. Market A’s BRZ tS distribution has now been fulfilled.

Q. So are you saying that a dealership cannot order a BRZ tS/50th Anniversary BRZ?

Yes, unfortunately a dealership cannot order a BRZ tS—that is directly from Subaru. However, once the dealership has received the BRZ tS offer, they can accept to order the car or decline the offer. The color and obviously the trim (tS) are already pre-determined.

Q: My Dealership is telling me they are getting a Specific BRZ tS. How do I know that’s true?

Every new car has VON (Vehicle Order Number) which is different from the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). SOA can look up VONs and tell you information regarding that unit. Model Year, Model, Model Trim, Color, Accessories, and transit status are all information that can be found with a VON.

Q. So how do I put my name on a BRZ tS/50th Anniversary BRZ before it is delivered to the dealership?

First, get ready to search around. Some people will be lucky enough that their local dealership gets a tS AND in the color they want. If not, you’ll have to do a tiny bit of work. The dealership’s cooperation and participation will heavily decide if you’re able to put your name on a car before it arrives.

There are two things a dealership can do. The first one is to upgrade the car to a “Sold Order.” Normally, “Sold Orders” are cars that were built from the ground up by a customer—they chose the trim, options, colors, and accessories. However, if it is early enough in the timeline it takes for a car to be built and delivered to a dealer, any car can be upgraded to Sold Order.

Sold Orders allow a customer to change the accessories and also to take non-contract ownership of the dealership’s order for this Vehicle. It doesn’t mean you own the car, but the order is under your name, and Subaru gets notified of that. Sold Orders generally mean you have nearly total commitment to purchase the car when the dealership gets it.

The second thing a dealership can do is “Reserve” the car under your name. When this happens, you as the potential buyer are interested in buying the car without any changes to the accessories on the car. You will essentially be notified as soon as this car is delivered to the dealership.

Both Sold Order cars and Reserved cars will be removed from the dealership’s website when they attain that status.

Some dealerships may require a deposit. Some dealers/states will allow you to purchase the car with cash while it is still in-transit.

Dealership participation in sold order/reservations may vary.

Q: What if I didn’t participate in a Sold Order/Reservation process?

Then you will have to wait for the BRZ tS to hit dealership lots, and you will have to search around your area, visit multiple dealership websites, and view their inventory too see if they have the one you want.

Q: Is there somebody on this forum who can save me the hassle and just do a nationwide search to help me locate the nearest BRZ tS/50th Anniversary BRZ to me?

When it's closer to the release date (late Feb-Mid March) the retailer network will be populated with all the available tS VINs. The purpose of this is basically for dealer trades. I might know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy who can do this. PM me

Last edited by Veloist; 12-13-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
cjd (12-06-2017), Clutch (12-06-2017), funwheeldrive (12-06-2017), Side (12-06-2017), weederr33 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Clutch

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited (Silver)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for the updates as always.

Any clues on what Heritage Blue looks like? A quick search kinda shows a broad range of possibilities. Also, I'm assuming color options are not changing on base 2018's?
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Viper224

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
You should now be able to order a 2018 BRZ from a Subaru dealership.

You cannot order a tS or 50th Anniversary Edition.

Yesterday BRZ tS’s and 50th Anniversary Edition units appeared on the 1st Allocation for 2018. This was to let dealerships know which color/how many they were getting so that they can clarify with their customers. The amount of units and color (for the tS) are pre-determined.

50th Anniversary BRZ is reported to be painted in “Heritage Blue.”

The tS and 50th Anniversary are due to be available in April.

April?! This wait is killing me.
Viper224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Excellent news, this should save me some energy in the potential visit to a showroom this weekend. I'll still be nervous they'll be stubborn about trying to sell me what they have in stock, which isn't at all what I want... but at least I know to walk away if they insist they can't order.

The shenanigans some places tried when my wife was shopping (last week...) were pretty amazing. I particularly enjoyed the guy insisting that a 2017 in a color she didn't want was her only option, when she already had a quote for a better price on a 2018 that was everything she wanted. The call back of 'are you still interested' was fun to overhear: "I was never interested in a wrong color 2017, and I thought I made that clear. I paid less than you were asking, and now own a 2018 that was everything I wanted, so this hasn't changed. Perhaps it is more clear now."
Old 12-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
This is the first I've heard of the 50th anniversary edition. What is special about it aside from the color?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
This is the first I've heard of the 50th anniversary edition. What is special about it aside from the color?
I think there was mention of a special badge, lol.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Thanks for the updates as always.

Any clues on what Heritage Blue looks like? A quick search kinda shows a broad range of possibilities. Also, I'm assuming color options are not changing on base 2018's?

I am hoping that it matches the pearlescent look of the blue in the announcement badge.

Last edited by mazeroni; 12-06-2017 at 01:27 PM.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post

I am hoping that it might match the pearlescent look of the blue in the announcement badge.
YES PLEASE. The 2013 Galaxy Blue was my favorite color. Such a shame that they dropped it.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
FitchAlcyone

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
If it ended up being Plasma Blue Pearl renamed, that would be awesome.

However, based on other discussions elsewhere on these forums, it's been suggested that it will be a color not unlike the one on the JDM STi Sport.
FitchAlcyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchAlcyone View Post
If it ended up being Plasma Blue Pearl renamed, that would be awesome.

However, based on other discussions elsewhere on these forums, it's been suggested that it will be a color not unlike the one on the JDM STi Sport.
You mean the blue from this car?

It's known as Khaki Blue and already available on some US Subarus like the Crosstrek. It's a crying shame it can't be had on the BRZ. With the maroon seat <3

I like the really deep blue/purple hue from the Plasma Blue Pearl color. I wouldn't mind that.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
FitchAlcyone

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
Yup, that one. I do understand that it already falls under a different name, but hints have been thrown around to somewhat tie the two together. Of course, it's all speculation until SoA actually announces it. I'm with you, though, in hoping that this color becomes available stateside in some form.
FitchAlcyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
The 50th anniversary crap is the 50th anniversary in America. So it's really more of a fake anniversary, like an annoying girlfriend insisting on celebrating your one and a half year anniversary but making it even worse by counting from the date you first said you loved her, then getting mad because you can't remember the date that happened and can't make any sense at all of her silly hints. You should slap a fake anniversary badge on her like these cars and buy her a hideous blue dress in observance of the occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Any clues on what Heritage Blue looks like?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
tv4184 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
Tonezorz

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
2018 BRZ Orders Open. tS and 50th Anniversary Due April

Just asked a local dealer I’ve done business with before about putting down a deposit on a 50th anniversary model. He says they’ve been allocated two. I did try to specify in my question to him I did NOT mean the tS, but I’ll clarify again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Tonezorz; 12-07-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Tonezorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #14
Clutch

I also wouldn't mind the light blue / silver on the JDM BRZ STi Sport Concept: