follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #29
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Many people don't understand that they feel change in torque more than change in power. Locals that ride in the CSG BRZ generally acknowledge that it feels quick, but isn't mind numbingly fast, until they experience it walking fully bolted Evos/STis, or v8 SRT8/Mustang/Carmos, etc.
291whp, but an absolute tabletop of torque to 330wtq starting around 3k until about 6k.

Time shifting right, and she'll chirp the RE71R's (225/45) going into 3rd, I have to be careful because the rear end will step out hitting 2nd. (close ratio 04 STi driveline with DCCD Pro.)

I had a customer ask if my dash was going to fall in his lap.

I'm going to miss that when the 1.5XTR finally goes in.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-02-2017), CSG Mike (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #30
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Many people don't understand that they feel change in torque more than change in power. Locals that ride in the CSG BRZ generally acknowledge that it feels quick, but isn't mind numbingly fast, until they experience it walking fully bolted Evos/STis, or v8 SRT8/Mustang/Carmos, etc.
Rode in a C6 Corvette Grandsport and a Cayman GT4 on track this year, both cars in the neighbourhood of 400hp and 3400lbs. They definitely make more power than my BRZ but it wasn't nearly as overwhelming as I expected. I think it is mostly due to increased weight and longer gearing in both cars.

I also rode in a JDM twin turbo RX7 making ~350hp and it felt like a rocket ship... but it has gearing and weight comparable to the BRZ.

The Corvette and the Cayman were timing their laps and they were both about 1 second per minute faster than I was in my BRZ. I'll note both are amateur race drivers with 15+ years experience and compete between themselves regularly. And here I am on my 3rd year of autocross and track in my little BRZ on 225 size RS3s and no power mods only 1 second per minute off these guys pace. I could add headers and a tune or switch to a stickier tire and I could be maintaining pace with these guys.

The RX7 is much slower than me per lap but it's the owners first year doing any performance driving so yeah.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #31
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Don't get stuck with round numbers. 300 whp means nothing. It is not a goal. Choose a proven kit and start from the base configuration that can be upgraded gradually with supporting mods. I highly recommend knowing the installation at a level that you can do it yourself so that you exactly know which part goes where for what purpose. Better to do it yourself.

Turbo is not the ideal kit to start with for a person who needs to ask general questions in this forum. Go with a supercharger kit like Sprintex or Jackson Racing. Because turbo installation is considerably more complex than those supercharger kits. Heat is one of the most limiting factors in FA20 engines and turbo replaces the exhaust manifold, adds more exhaust piping to change the heat balance in the engine bay completely, not mentioning about tapping the oil circulation.

Don't skimp on quality of the kit. Price should not be your main concern. You will be adding many more little critical components to your engine that can break. Do you understand the function of the additional components and will you be ready to maintain those components properly? Otherwise, your excitement about the boost will be interrupted with engine problems like many other examples in this forum.
. Those simple oil/vacuum hoses and their joints, one of those additional valves, or radiator/intercooler are additional critical points that will need to be checked additionally at every maintenance.

With all these, my answer to your question: It is not too late at all. If you don't understand the process it might be too early though.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-05-2017), Cole (11-02-2017), JazzleSAURUS (11-02-2017), Tcoat (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #32
wyatt263

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS, 1985 Toyota Supra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So you essentially purchased the cheapest turbo kit on the market for reliability and cost?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58514

Here is the kit in question in case everyone is wondering. Thats like me buying a 2013 FRS and you saying "So you essentially purchased the cheapest sports car on the market for reliability and cost?" Well yes, I did, well before we knew how reliable and great it was. SBD has had a good rep so far and I feel as if its a good quality kit. If i wanted you guys to pick me apart and argue among each other about FI kits i would have titled the post "Uhhh what turbo kit should i get". There is no changing my decision as i stated in the original post, for now I am wondering about how to tune the damn thing and maybe some pointers about tuning.
wyatt263 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wyatt263 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-05-2017), ExpertZero (11-02-2017), Irace86.2.0 (11-04-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #33
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt263 View Post

Here is the kit in question in case everyone is wondering. Thats like me buying a 2013 FRS and you saying "So you essentially purchased the cheapest sports car on the market for reliability and cost?" Well yes, I did, well before we knew how reliable and great it was. SBD has had a good rep so far and I feel as if its a good quality kit. If i wanted you guys to pick me apart and argue among each other about FI kits i would have titled the post "Uhhh what turbo kit should i get". There is no changing my decision as i stated in the original post, for now I am wondering about how to tune the damn thing and maybe some pointers about tuning.
You posted asking for advice...so why are you being so defensive when people are offering you advice? It may not be the EXACT advice you came in requesting, but it's still very helpful nonetheless. I would argue it's even much more helpful than the advice you came in here seeking.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #34
wyatt263

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Don't get stuck with round numbers. 300 whp means nothing. It is not a goal. Choose a proven kit and start from the base configuration that can be upgraded gradually with supporting mods. I highly recommend knowing the installation at a level that you can do it yourself so that you exactly know which part goes where for what purpose. Better to do it yourself.

Turbo is not the ideal kit to start with for a person who needs to ask general questions in this forum. Go with a supercharger kit like Sprintex or Jackson Racing. Because turbo installation is considerably more complex than those supercharger kits. Heat is one of the most limiting factors in FA20 engines and turbo replaces the exhaust manifold, adds more exhaust piping to change the heat balance in the engine bay completely, not mentioning about tapping the oil circulation.

Don't skimp on quality of the kit. Price should not be your main concern. You will be adding many more little critical components to your engine that can break. Do you understand the function of the additional components and will you be ready to maintain those components properly? Otherwise, your excitement about the boost will be interrupted with engine problems like many other examples in this forum.
. Those simple oil/vacuum hoses and their joints, one of those additional valves, or radiator/intercooler are additional critical points that will need to be checked additionally at every maintenance.

With all these, my answer to your question: It is not too late at all. If you don't understand the process it might be too early though.
Ease of installation is not an issue, I am very familiar with how a turbocharger works and what the parts do, what i need, where it goes etc. I have full access to a shop and many other experienced technicians to help me if need-be. I am just clueless on the whole custom tuning thing. The thought was to buy a capable setup and then run lower boost and a safer tune.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #35
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

The best pointer I can give you is to get a different kit.

Quote:
Ease of installation is not an issue, I am very familiar with how a turbocharger works and what the parts do, what i need, where it goes etc. I have full access to a shop and many other experienced technicians to help me if need-be. I am just clueless on the whole custom tuning thing. The thought was to buy a capable setup and then run lower boost and a safer tune.
You're constantly contradicting yourself. You've done research, but haven't done research based on your questions. You want the best reliability, but purchased based on best price. You claim to know how a turbocharger works, but have no understanding of tuning (which goes hand in hand).

Are you ready to become another statistic? Are you aware you purchased a kit that's a blatent knock-off? Have you ever used a cheap chinese turbo before?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-02-2017), JazzleSAURUS (11-03-2017), mrg666 (11-02-2017), Tcoat (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #36
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Closest shop to you maybe Moto East or you can work with Delicious for tuning.

BTW, this car is modestly priced for a sports car but it is not cheaply designed and built. It doesn't drive like a cheap car either. If you really think the car deserves a cheap kit, it will become your cheap car. I have no experience with SBD. My comment is general.

And, I would only consider AVO for turbo since they don't put additional exhaust piping in front of the air flow inside the engine bay. AVO design should theoretically give less turbo lag and reduce heat problem.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #37
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
One more thing I'll add to this thread...

Are you sure you want to go through with a custom OFT tune? Many, many people on here have issues with getting in touch with Shiv for things like updated revisions to tunes, or tunes not put on his website, or broken tablets that need repair. Let alone getting revisions to a custom tune you've paid for.

Are you willing to gamble your car away with the cheapest turbo option, along with the cheapest tuning option?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-02-2017), mrg666 (11-03-2017), soulreapersteve (11-12-2017), wyatt263 (11-03-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #38
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
So you essentially purchased the cheapest turbo kit on the market for reliability and cost?
Quote:

Quote:
The best pointer I can give you is to get a different kit.

You're constantly contradicting yourself. You've done research, but haven't done research based on your questions. You want the best reliability, but purchased based on best price. You claim to know how a turbocharger works, but have no understanding of tuning (which goes hand in hand).

Are you ready to become another statistic? Are you aware you purchased a kit that's a blatent knock-off? Have you ever used a cheap chinese turbo before?
It sounds like he was trying to buy at a certain price point, while picking a kit with the best reliability for that price point. I don't think he was stating absolutes like you were; ie, he didn't say he wants the best reliability (or would want to pay for that), just that reliability might be more important than other kits that are less reliable at his price point, but that might have other attractive features like higher quoted horsepower.

I think he is right that he is getting attacks more than getting constructive criticism. If you feel he is making a poor choice, and care to help, then perhaps offer reasons why a given kit may not be a good fit, or why it may not have the value or savings that it appears to have.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-05-2017), ExpertZero (11-04-2017), wyatt263 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #39
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post

BTW, this car is modestly priced for a sports car but it is not cheaply designed and built. It doesn't drive like a cheap car either. If you really think the car deserves a cheap kit, it will become your cheap car. I have no experience with SBD. My comment is general.
What sports cars are in a class lower than this?
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-06-2017), ExpertZero (11-04-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:15 AM   #40
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
I know I’m late to the party but wanted to see... OP did you get sorted and install and get tuned?

To your original post I don’t see why the engine mileage would be a problem. I also don’t think your choice of kit is a problem and some of the responses here were really unhelpful - but I’ve seen that in many threads.

My personal experience... I’ve just ordered a SC kit because I wanted a bump in power, still wanted immediate throttle response, but not the complications and extra parts and heat etc from a turbo.
I too am not hugely experienced in modifying cars but I can tell you the 2 things I think I have done right;
1) I drove in as many FI cars as I could (rly hard where I live as there aren’t a ton). This really helped with my final decision on kit.
2) I spoke at length with Delicious tuning plus my local guy (who uses Delicious). Both were amazing and really spent a lot of time answering my emails and phone calls... I’m happy that I understand the process, risks, options, etc - and from the pros and not “opinions” from people.
Let’s face it - apart from 1 or 2 well known guys on this forum you don’t really know who’s behind that keyboard when they are responding.

Anyway - keen to hear your update... how’s the car?

Last edited by 86 South Africa; 11-05-2017 at 12:02 PM.
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #41
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Why don't you look into getting the JDL kit and spend an extra 500 to get the garrett gt2860rs?

Sell your OFT and hit up PTuning, since you live in VA they should have ECUTEK for you to use, You might just need a license (Idk how it works).

Or you can get with DTuning or MotoEast

I've seen some people compare both kits JDL and SBD, they've said that the quality is a lot better. JDL is also here in the US. SBD used to be a damn good deal but JDL's new kit is the same price now.

What is it about the SBD kit that you like over other options?
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-12-2017), CSG Mike (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #42
wyatt263

I just got the kit in on Friday from Speed by Design, customer service was amazing even while the owner (Chris) was at SEMA. They shipped it to me in 2 days, very happy with the company so far. The quality off the kit looks to be very well done, welds are nice, comes with every single bolt and fitting. The turbo uses a Garrett GTX3076R CHRA with a custom SBD housing, yes I understand the kit is on the cheaper side of others, but users seem to be happy overall with it. I'm waiting for my stage 3 Comp clutch to arrive so I can do everything at once, probably going to install everything this weekend at the shop. Over the weekend I got to talk to some people that have had experience with turbos and tuning for a long time and they gave me a better understanding of the tuning process and what the tuner will do. I will be buying Shivs e-tuning service this week. Shiv has been tuning this kit for awhile now, there's data logs of his tunes on the SBD owners page and they all look very consistent. I think you guys might have misunderstood me, I didn't explain myself very clearly. This was the first time I've dealt with putting a turbo on a N/A car and definitely the most money I've spent modifying a vehicle in my life. I have already compared the kits and I chose this one, personally I feel like its the best one for the cost, you will disagree, but that's fine. Just needed some re-assurance from you guys about the tuning aspect, maybe someone that has dealt with Shivs e-tuning service recently.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wyatt263 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-06-2017), ExpertZero (11-06-2017), Irace86.2.0 (11-06-2017)